Author Topic: Confused  (Read 2534 times)

sher

Confused
« on: January 19, 2010, 04:29:26 pm »
Hi there,
I am 15 months post ck and just had another MRI.  It seems that I am confused as to what to hope for or expect from the cyberknife. Is it just non growth? shrinkage? Necrosis? and dang if those MRI's are always different and read by different radiologists.
CONFUSED
Sherry
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 04:43:49 pm »
As was explained to me the strategy is to stop the AN from growing. If you get shrinkage or necrosis then thats a bonus.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 04:59:28 pm »
Hi Sher,

I agree with Laz. During my research that is exactly what I discovered and the oncologists that I saw made it clear to me that the purpose of the radiation is to stop the growth. Anything more is a bonus.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 01:24:02 am »
Sher, I agree with Laz and Vivian but will add a couple things:

1. About 20 to 25% of CK patients see significant shrinkage. So you shouldn't expect shrinkage, but it can occur.

2. Your tumor will have necrosis whether or not it shows up on the MRI. At the risk of putting words in other people's mouths, I think what Laz and Vivian meant to say is that "visible signs of necrosis (dark blotches showing in the MRI in the area of the tumor) are a bonus." The tumor will die (become necrotic) regardless of whether or not these dark blotches appear. The dark blotches show on MRIs taken with contrast (gadolinium injected) when blood flow is absent in tumor tissue (hence, it is necrotic or dead). The problem is that once the dead tissue forms scar tissue, it shows up white in the MRI and thus looks just like live tissue. So, if the MRI is taken before necrosis happens and the next MRI is taken after it's happened and scar tissue has already formed, you won't see the dark blotches (because the non-scarring necrosis phase happened in between MRIs).

So don't become attached to seeing necrosis. It's happening, regardless of whether your MRI shows it or not. Your AN is on its way outta here, so long farewell good riddance. Done deal.

Peace,
TW

P.S. FYI, dark blotches can also appear in the tumor area on an MRI if the image was taken before the contrast agent had a chance to fully absorb into/permeate the tumor. So, dark blotches are nice to see but may not always indicate necrosis. It's helpful when the technician injecting you takes an extra minute or so to let the contrast agent fully absorb before starting the imaging process.
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

sher

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:26:21 am »
Thanks everyone!!!
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling