Author Topic: CT. Scan vs MRI  (Read 5495 times)

Gearbox123

CT. Scan vs MRI
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:50:00 pm »
Hello everyone. Has anyone been diagnosed with there A.N by means of a C.T scan vs the MRI? Does the C.T scan allow the Doctors to get different type of view? Has anyone been diagnosed with a tumor below I.A.C say on the facial nerve near there jaw and if so by what means  was it found ?

PaulW

Re: CT. Scan vs MRI
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:32:40 pm »
It's difficult to diagnose small Acoustic Neuroma's via CT Scan as the tumor is of a similar consistency to the brain.
Its detected by the brain being displaced/ pushed to one side, but also by looking at a thickening of the Internal Auditory Canal.
The tumor puts so much pressure on the Internal Auditory Canal that it deforms the bone, and that is visible via CT Scan even when the tumour is still invisible.
A CT Scan will also not distinguish if it is an Acoustic Neuroma or many other sorts of tumor.
If you have been sent for a CT Scan for facial nerve or hearing problems, especially for something around the jaw, this is probably for another  problem...
Exostosis are a common cause of hearing loss and can be solved by minor surgery..
Exostosis are often visible to the doctor, and a CT Scan would be requested so that the minor surgery can be planned if required.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Sheryl

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:02:07 pm »
Great response Paul.  Also, if you can avoid CT scans anywhere in the body, it is a good idea as they emit radiation, whereas; MRIs do not. Obviously, there are situations when you cannot avoid a CT scan.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Gearbox123

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:17:39 am »
Thanks for the helpful replies. No I have not been sent for a C.T scan, just frustrated with a small 5 mm A.N which I think is consistently growing , my next MRI is  not until Jan 2016. A lot of pain and  numbness lower and upper jaw, fullness in my ear almost all the time, dizziness back again  more so, it all just points to the tumor ,so with time on my hands I start thinking of other possibilities.  Thanks again for the helpful information. 

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:16:08 am »
Fullness in the ear and dizziness are typical AN symptoms.
Pain and numbness in the jaw are not typical for a 5mm AN.
I think it would be wise to investigate the jaw pain and numbness separately to the AN.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

MG

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:48:06 pm »
Gearbox 123,
You might check out TMJ. I have heard that a lot of people have it along with their AN. A dentist may help.

Good luck,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016