Author Topic: Anyone experience pain in ear?  (Read 8866 times)

stef84

Anyone experience pain in ear?
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:31:38 pm »
Hello my name is Stefani. I am 25 and have an AN in my right ear. It started as 11mm, but since my last MRI in Oct. it had grown.

I often feel a pinching sensation in my ear where the tumor is located. I was wondering if anyone else experiences that.

Lately, I have felt a little pinching in my left ear as well, but have convinced myself that it is all in my head (no pun intended) as I have tested negative for NF2 (thank goodness). I think just having the AN causes stress and plays on your mind in thinking that more things could be wrong.
25 year old teacher
diagnosed 7/09 - 28mm right side
Translab. w/ Dr.Roland & Dr. Golfinos (NYU) June 2, 2010
Deafness on Right
Feeling Fantastic! =)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Anyone experience pain in ear?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:50:51 pm »
Hi, Stefani - and welcome, although I'm sorry you've received an AN diagnosis., which is a bit uncommon (but not unheard of) for someone your age. 

I never felt a pinching sensation but I did experience an intermittent, 'stabbing' type of pain at the location of my AN prior to my surgery so I wouldn't be surprised if your AN is the source of the 'pinching' sensation you're experiencing.  The 'pinching' sensation in your other ear is, as you noted, probably more apparent than real and not anything to worry about.  I agree that the stress of dealing with an acoustic neuroma diagnosis has a tendency of making us want to attribute every twitch and sensation in our face/head to the AN, even though there is usually no connection.  Your experience appears to be fairly normal. 

Could you elaborate on your AN diagnosis?  Size, etc, and what your strategy is for treatment, whether now or at a later date?  Thanks.  :)

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 04:35:02 pm »
I never had any sensation that anything like a tumor is in my head. Only the wonky head, fulness of my ear, and the crickets. I did have a MRI with lower definition done...they were looking for another stroke, not a tumor...and it displayed the tumor, but perhaps, not for sure, something on the other side too. A higher definition MRI gave a better look at the tumor, but it also highlighted the facial nerves on the other side. No one can explain why they are highlighted. No tumor there yet, but we're watching it.  Perhaps you have something else going on that just got overlooked. Your doctor is a great place to start if you really think something is unusual. Tooth aches sometimes are felt in your ears. Not trying to scare you, but lots of people think they have indigestion, do nothing, and it really was a heart attack. Be safe. Call your doctor. It's your health.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:49:21 pm »
Stefani,

I felt that pre-op, or at least something similar.  It wasn't a constant pain, but I particularly noticed it if I went somewhere very noisy.  It was like an earache but sharper.  I'm not sure if that is exactly what you are describing. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you felt some pinching in that ear.  It certainly seems within the realm of normal when you have something growing and pressing on different structures within your ear.  Hope it isn't too bad!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

amymeri

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:44:17 am »
Yes, I sometimes have ear pain and always in my right (AFFECTED) ear.  I had it before surgery and I still sometimes have it.  I would describe it as a stabbing/ear ache kind of pain.  It seems to come and go randomly and is bothersome but not that significant.

I hope yours resolves.  Best of luck!
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

stef84

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:54:00 am »
Thanks for your responses!  :)
I guess "pinching" was a poor term. It does feel like a sharp pain similar to an ear ache (that is not constant). I was diagnosed last July and will be having surgery at NYU medical center June 2 (translab). It originally measured 11mm but showed growth of 3mm in my last MRI in October. I don't know what size it is now. The doctors say that it is pretty much confined in my cochlea (i believe) which is the cause of my hearing rapidly depleating. The upside is that it does not seem to be affecting the facial nerve. I did mention the sensation to the doctors who said it was normal. I wanted to ask because I did not read about anyone else having such a feeling in their affected ear.
Thanks again for replying and sharing your experiences!
25 year old teacher
Deafness on Right
Feeling Fantastic! =)

bdsgurl

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:03:16 pm »
I not only had a stabbing pain in my affected ear but also pressure and pain in my other ear. My tumor was huge tho, So i dont know if that had anything to do with it. All that stopped after my surgery. hope the same thing for you!!

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 07:11:26 am »
I have not had any ear pain, prior or since treatment. The only pain in my ear is when my father-in-law is speaking (sorry but I couldn't resist). But I do hope this clears up for you with a successful treatment.

Good luck,

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

b91221b

• 1.4 x .09 cm 5/09. CK 10/21-22-23/09.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 07:55:35 am »
Hi, Stefani..

I can relate to the ear pain.  Since I was a child, I have always had earaches, but never so painful as within the last 4-5 years.  "Stabbing" is the only word I could use to describe it.  Sharp, stabbing pain that lasted for just a second.  But would just put you "on alert"...waiting for the next one.  It is/was 90% confined to my AN ear, but I have had a couple of bouts with the other ear, as well....over the past years.  Since CK, however, (and I'm trusting the Lord for this) I have not had a bout with the "stabbers".  My thinking, in the past, was that it was "the wind, the humidity, allergies, etc., etc.".  Now I'm convinced that it is the AN.  There is still some "tightening/pinching" in my face/ear area at the CK site, but it's NOT stabbing pain.  God Bless you on your journey.  This is a marvelous site for all of us facing AN issues.

Barbara
Barbara

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 06:30:21 pm »
I am post op and sometimes have some ear pain, like a stabbing or zapping.   Sounds like Post op it is more the nerves regenerating/healing.   But Pre op for sure there may be ear pain some because of where the AN tumor lies.   Most of them lie in the little internal auditory canal that houses the nerves.   If yours is more on the auditory nerve than the balance nerve, I would think it might cause more pain.    Nerves are a crazy thing.   I am truly finding a lot of that out first hand since my surgery.    Hopefully after your treatment you will be free of the ear pain.   

NEAL, I guess I also had to post as I was reading because your comment made me laugh.   (I have a great father-in-law) but I TOTALLY wasn't expecting that as an answer when I read the post  ;D       I guess I love how this site can be informative, helpful and I love a little humor sometimes too!

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

stef84

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 09:14:50 pm »
Thank you all so much again for your great feedback. I will be going for my surgery June 2nd...hopefully that feeling will go away. Thanks for the support and hope everyone out there is doing well!
25 year old teacher
Deafness on Right
Feeling Fantastic! =)

iluuvpups

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 04:19:34 pm »
Hi.  I get pain in my ear too.  It just started a few weeks ago.  Hopefully after my surgery on Thursday it will go away.  Good luck with your surgery!  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

stef84

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 03:38:21 pm »
Good luck with your surgery on Thursday, Carol Ann!!! So nice to know we are not alone!
25 year old teacher
Deafness on Right
Feeling Fantastic! =)

Anomar11

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 04:18:51 pm »
Stefani,
I had cyberknife 11/08.  One of my primary symptoms was an earache that sometimes radiated down my throat like a middle ear infection and also stabbing pains in my ear.  I'm now 18 months out and continue to have occasional stabbing pains.
Mona
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9