Author Topic: Holiday Cookie Recipes  (Read 28230 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Holiday Cookie Recipes
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2009, 09:06:30 am »
Dutch Fruit Bars
(from the kitchen of Joanne in Kelowna, BC)

1 ½ cups butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
½ tsp grated lemon peel
3 ½ cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
½ cup honey
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (4 oz) shredded almonds
¾ cup mixed candy fruit

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Adjust oven rack to bottom third of oven.
Grease 15 ½ x 10½ inch jelly roll pan.
In large mixer bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, cream 1 cup butter and ½ cup sugar. Beat in eggs and lemon peel until light and fluffy.  Add flour and salt and continue mixing just until well combined.  Press dough evenly into pan making ¼ inch rim around the edge. (smooth with wax paper).  Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly brownish and dough is firm to the touch.

Five minutes before crust is done, melt remaining ½ cup butter in medium saucepan.  Add honey, remaining ½ cup sugar, cream and vanilla.  Heat to boiling, boil five minutes, stirring occasionally (lower the heat once it boils). Stir in almonds and fruit.  Pour over baked crust in pan and spread evenly.  Return to oven and bake ten more minutes.  Cool on wire rack. Cut into 2 x 1 ¼ inch diamond-shape pieces.  Makes 52 cookies about 135 calories each.

Today, is the annual marathon cookie baking day. A longtime girlfriend and I bake several varieties all afternoon. Another friend joins the group. Three women in the same kitchen..wowser. I'll let you know how that works out....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:16:36 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2009, 09:09:33 am »
Cocoa Linzer Sandwiches
Via Family Circle Magazine December 2007
From the Kitchen of Kate B

Makes: 12-15 sandwiches
Prep: 30 minutes
Refrigerate 1-2 hours
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
11/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
Raspberry seedless jam ( I used Solo filling)

1.   Mix flour,cocoa, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.
2.   Cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in large bowl.
3.   Beat in flour mixture.
4.   Divide in half; shape into a flat disk.  Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour minimum.( 2 hours preferred)
5.   Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
6.   Roll out half the dough on the cookie sheet ¼ inch.  Place in refrigerator 30 more minutes. Repeat with second disk. Cut with Linzer Cutter with insert. (do those first)  Remove excess dough and put in ball to be refrigerated again.  Cut an equal number without the insert.  Bake immediately for ten minutes. Cool completely.
7.   Dust tops with powdered sugar.
8.   Spread jam on cookie bottom.
9.   Place tops over bottoms to create the sandwich effect.
10.   Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:14:16 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2009, 05:56:57 pm »
Oh, my!  I must have one of those right now.  To die for.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jill Marie

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2009, 09:06:02 pm »
Thanks Kate, 

I was going to look for a recipe to use up the leftover candied fruit from the fruit cake I made, now I don't have to look for one as I just printed yours. We bought some fruit then Safeway had it on sale for 99 cents so of course I had to buy some, now I need to use it.  I've made 4 batches of pumpkin bread this year my son made 1, that's it for the bread.  I've made 3 double batches of party mix and my son made a triple batch, will make more.  We mail and give away most of it.  Now to decorate the tree!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2009, 09:12:46 pm »
http://picasaweb.google.com/KMBphotos/2009_12_13?feat=directlink

Here's this year's yield:-) after a marathon of baking today.
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

sgerrard

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2009, 10:21:03 pm »
Mmmmm. Cookies.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

NancyMc

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2009, 01:18:27 pm »
Somebody please send Steve cookies!  Just a thought . . .  ;)

Jill Marie

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2009, 06:02:46 pm »

Christmas Cookie Rules...

1.      If you eat a Christmas cookie fresh out of the oven, it has no calories because everyone knows that the first cookie is the test
            and thus calorie free.

2.      If you drink a diet soda after eating your second cookie, it also has no calories because the diet soda cancels out the cookie calories.

3.      If a friend comes over while you're making your Christmas cookies and needs to sample, you must sample with your friend.  Because              friend's first cookie is calories free, (rule #1) yours is also.  It would be rude to let your friend sample alone and, being the friend that you are, that        makes your cookie calorie free.

4.      Any cookie calories consumed while walking around will fall to your feet and eventually fall off as you move.  This is due to gravity and the density of the caloric mass.

5.      Any calories consumed during the frosting of the Christmas cookies will be used up because it takes many calories to lick excess frosting from a knife without cutting your tongue.

6.      Cookies colored red or green have very few calories.  Red ones have three and green ones have five - one calorie for each letter.  Make more red ones!

7.      Cookies eaten while watching "Miracle on 34th Street " have no calories because they are part of the entertainment package and not part of one's personal fuel.

8.     As always, cookie pieces contain no calories because the process of breaking Causes calorie leakage.

9.      Any cookies consumed from someone else's plate have no calories since the calories rightfully belong to the other person and will cling to their plate.   We all know how calories like to CLING!

10.     Any cookies consumed while feeling stressed have no calories because cookies used for medicinal purposes NEVER have calories.  It's a rule!

So, go out and enjoy those Christmas Cookies - we only get them this this time of year!

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2009, 10:05:55 pm »

Christmas Cookie Rules...

1.      If you eat a Christmas cookie fresh out of the oven, it has no calories because everyone knows that the first cookie is the test
            and thus calorie free.

2.      If you drink a diet soda after eating your second cookie, it also has no calories because the diet soda cancels out the cookie calories.

3.      If a friend comes over while you're making your Christmas cookies and needs to sample, you must sample with your friend.  Because              friend's first cookie is calories free, (rule #1) yours is also.  It would be rude to let your friend sample alone and, being the friend that you are, that        makes your cookie calorie free.

4.      Any cookie calories consumed while walking around will fall to your feet and eventually fall off as you move.  This is due to gravity and the density of the caloric mass.

5.      Any calories consumed during the frosting of the Christmas cookies will be used up because it takes many calories to lick excess frosting from a knife without cutting your tongue.

6.      Cookies colored red or green have very few calories.  Red ones have three and green ones have five - one calorie for each letter.  Make more red ones!

7.      Cookies eaten while watching "Miracle on 34th Street " have no calories because they are part of the entertainment package and not part of one's personal fuel.

8.     As always, cookie pieces contain no calories because the process of breaking Causes calorie leakage.

9.      Any cookies consumed from someone else's plate have no calories since the calories rightfully belong to the other person and will cling to their plate.   We all know how calories like to CLING!

10.     Any cookies consumed while feeling stressed have no calories because cookies used for medicinal purposes NEVER have calories.  It's a rule!

So, go out and enjoy those Christmas Cookies - we only get them this this time of year!

lol..I
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

ginger21

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2009, 05:51:52 pm »
I have to jump in here with one of my favorites, and It is a big hit with my girls every year.

Candy Cane Cookies

1 cup shortening ( half butter half shorting)
1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp red food coloring
1/2  cup crushed candy cane

heat oven to 375

Mix shortening sugar, egg and flavorings thoroughly. Mix in flour and salt. Divide dough in half. Blend food coloring into one half.

Roll a 4" strip (useing 1 tsp. dough) from each color. For smooth, even strips roll them back and forth on lighly floured board. Place strips side by side, press lightly   together and twist like rope. For best results, compleate cookies one at a time-if all the dough of one color is shaped first, strips become too dry to twist. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Curve top down to form handle of cane.

Bake for 9 min. until lightly browned. While still warm, remove from baking sheet and sprinkle with crushed candy cane.

Enjoy and much as we do every Christmas.

Ginger
W & W as of 01/27/2010 keeping my fingers crossed for the next 6 months
4mm AN-right side
www.facebook.com/gingerleigh72

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2009, 07:14:59 pm »
Just saw this post. I will share it with the boss and daughter Nicole.

The main reason I have to exercise so much to keep in shape is because my wife is an amazing cook. Her Mom was a pro (french) and passed along a lot of knowledge. Now my youngest has taken up the banner and is always baking some amazing confection that I have a hard time (make that imossible time) avoiding.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2009, 07:12:56 am »
I've made these, Donnalynn. Just picture a regular candy cane. The strips of two colors are loosely twisted together, then the top is bent over. You can bake it just like that, or flatten slightly.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

NancyMc

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2009, 12:12:58 pm »
I used to make Candy Cane cookies every year, but they are so much work, I gave up.  They are in my Betty Crocker cookbook, photo and all.  Google candy cane cookies image, and you will see photos of them.

ginger21

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2009, 08:23:57 pm »
DONNALYNN,

NANCY IS RIGHT THEY ARE FROM THE BETTY CROCKER COOK BOOK, I HAVE NOT GOOGLED IT. BUT MY BETTY CROCKER BOOK IS FROM 1964, ITS THE ONE MY MOM HAD WHEN I WAS GROWING UP AND HAS THE BEST COOKIE RESEPIES IN IT. I HAVE BEEN MAKING CANDY CANE COOKIES FOR ALONG TIME. THE LAST BATCH I MADE HAVE ALREADY BEEN EATEN, BUT AS SOON AS I GET SOME MORE MADE I CAN TAKE A PICTURE OF THEM.

GINGER
4mm AN-right side

ginger21

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2009, 09:35:13 pm »

I hope this picture works,  I googled the Betty Crocker Cookies and  tried cuting and pasting a picture of the candy cane cookies.

Ginger
4mm AN-right side