Author Topic: Post-op headache question  (Read 9808 times)

kareno

Post-op headache question
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:36:06 am »
Hello:  My husband just had a 2.8 cm AN removed.  All went well no facial paralysis ,did lose hearing.  Has constant headaches which we expected taking Motrin every 6 hours works but how long is this going to last?  Also had terribly reaction to steroids.  Any feedback is appreciated.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:14:30 pm by Jim Scott »
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Post-op headache question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:15:50 pm »
Karen ~

Welcome.  I'm sorry to learn of your husband's post-op headaches, which are not at all unusual, although not always a post-op issue.

Although we're not doctors and cannot 'diagnose' anyone, a little more information might help our members get a handle on your husband's situation.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nmspee

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:53:11 pm »
Karen,
I'm so sorry about your husband's constant headaches. My husband had his acoustic neuroma surgery on March 31rst. He has sharp stabbing pains on the side of the surgery which wake him up each of the last 5 nights. Once he is vertical they subside.
You didn't say when your husband's surgery was, but my husband's surgeon said he could not take Motrin or aspirin for two weeks post op. They both increase the risk of bleeding.
I think my husband's headaches could be related to an increase in intracranial pressure when lying flat or eating foods high in sodium which make our bodies hold onto water and could increase blood pressure and intracranial pressure and result in headaches.
I hope things get better for him. How's his balance? So glad neither of our husbands got the facial weakness or paralysis.
Look forward to hearing about his progress.
Marilyn
d***
AN 1.1cm x 2 cm diagnosed 2/2/2010
Removed via translabyrinthine approach on 3/31/2010 by Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos at NYUMC.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:42:41 pm »
Kareno:

I had retrosig surgery almost 2 years ago. The debilitating headaches began about 2 wks post-op and hit me almost every night or morning. I do sleep through the night now. I was taking Pamelor for 1 year. Don't take anything anymore, except for the occasional Tylenol when I'm going to do some gardening. Before I go for my evening walk, I rub some smelly stuff from the top of my surgery scar all the way to my shoulder. It seems to help a great deal.

I have gotten some releif, but I'm still getting headaches 2 or 3 times/ wk & they are not debilitating, just annoying & inconvenient.

I hope you get the answers you're looking for.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:46:21 am »
Hi Karen:  Although post op is just a bad memory for me now,  I do remember having exruciating headaches for at least 2 weeks post op (not sure if 2 - 4 weeks).  I was taking Tylenol Extra Strength round the clock (I didn't take Motrin due to bleeding side effect - surgeon told me not to).  Pre op I very rarely ever had a headache.  Eventually they did subside for me (luckily).
I remember doing imagery helped alot - I would picture breathing in a white cloud & picturing it surround the pain, then breathe it out.  Imagery does work for me.  May be worth a try.  I wish your husband continued healing.  Keep a peaceful heart.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:10:24 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:07:27 pm »
Dear All,
I'm at 13 weeks retrosig. Post Op and am still having the killer head aches.   I had three head aches last night which was a marathon and am worried about taking that much Motrin because of the chance of bleeding in the head and stroke.  Some nights I have not a single headache and some, just one, but, last night was just terrible!!!   At my six week check up, my neurosurg. told me that I would be taking Motrin for only two more weeks and now here we are. 

I don't know how much longer this is going to go on, but as I read the posts, it looks like a long time and it seems like it has something to do with the plate in the skull.  Is this permanent?
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

moe

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 09:27:20 pm »
Karen and Mei Mei,
So sorry to hear of the headaches. I had terrible headaches for 6 weeks post op and was on the heavy stuff. Vicodin, even percocet when the vicodin didn't work. I didn't do much of anything, just walk, rest, listen to soothing CD's or books on tape. I weaned myself to tylenol alternating with Motrin and have had no further problems at the 6 week point. Don't know how long you need to avoid motrin type stuff post op.

Mei Mei, see what your surgeon says about the pain. There are lots of other meds out there.

Ouch :'( Sorry to hear,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:06:19 pm »
Mei Mei:

Applying a heating pad to the back of my neck when I have headaches works most of the time.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Mei Mei

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 08:10:30 am »
A doctor once told me not to do that because of possibility of stroke so I avoid heating pads on the head.   On another thread they suggested cranial sacral therapy by an osteopath so I am calling one this morning to try that.

Wish me luck,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

staypoz

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:18:05 am »
Mei Mei, everyone's experience is different, but it seems that for many of us, the headaches start about two weeks post-op.  I am nearly six years post op and still have daily head pain but it's not nearly as severe as it used to be and the nature of the pain has changed over the years.   I have tried a lot of different things (botox, massage, etc.) and explored surgical treatment. 

What others have said on this post is true -- finding what works for you is somewhat a matter of trial and error.  Having a doctor who listens to you and is willing to work with you to find the solution that's best for you is really key. 

staypoz

Lizard

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:51:36 am »
I have daily headached now and I'm 17 months post-op, but they are not the same headaches that would wake me from a dead sleep in the month or two following the surgery.  Have they tried amatryplatine or nortryptaline?  That helped me a lot in the past but also take it now. 

Oh and I couldn't live without my heating pad.  I have one on the couch and one in my bed.  Perhaps risks right after surgery are greater due to the surgery, but it does really help...

Keeping my fingers crossed that they start to subside quickly!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mei Mei

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 05:15:20 pm »
Dear All,
I am using the heating pad on my shoulders because I was cautioned about using heat on my skull.   I use Motrin and Tylenol as a buffer.  Someone on this site said they used so much Motrin that they ended up in the emergency room so I am concerned about that and my liver so am trying to get this headache thing under control.  I called several Osteopaths today to try to get an appointment for a massage they were talking about on the other thread.  No returns of calls.  I'll get connected somehow before the weekend and let you know.
I don't know why the headaches always happen at night.  Maybe it's the position.  I'll prop myself up more tonight.

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

jennifer7

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 05:26:01 pm »
Hi everyone

thanks for all the posts they have been so helpful

I am two months post-op and started having nausea followed by stomach pain with the headaches, is this typical?

Lizard

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 07:24:50 pm »
Hi everyone

thanks for all the posts they have been so helpful

I am two months post-op and started having nausea followed by stomach pain with the headaches, is this typical?

No problem, just trying to help  :D
I did have a lot of nausea after the surgery, but I think most of that was related to the meds.  If the pain is severe I can see where this might occur, however a call to the Doctor can't hurt.  The stomach pain is a little concerning, not worrying just a little concerning.  Are you experiencing balance problems as well as this can also add to the nausea.
Hope your head and stomach feel better soon!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

moe

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 08:37:05 am »
You can actually take up to 4000 mg a day of Tylenol, without liver damage concern. So that's 2 extra strength tylenol 4x/day if you need it.
Motrin acts differently and affects the stomach. I used to alternate Motrin and Tylenol throughout the day. 800 mg Motrin, taken with food, in between the tylenol, twice a day.
Hope that helps,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty