Author Topic: Good activity?  (Read 2625 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Good activity?
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:23:12 pm »
I hope I'm in the right spot in the forum for this, but I had a thought earlier tonight.  I've been taking guitar lessons for the past 1.5 years.  I obviously am going to have to take a few weeks off from that!  Has anyone heard of playing an instrument (or guitar in particular) being a good "activity" for post-op recovery?  For example, would it be helpful for any multi-tasking issues or perhaps balance (not sure how?) or anything like that?

I'm not trying to get insurance to cover my guitar lessons or anything ;), it was just a thought I had..

Pooter...
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Good activity?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 05:13:31 am »
Pooter,
I would think any activity like that would be great.  I am not a musician, although we had or have lots of them here.  My daughter took guitar lessons for a long time and they seemed to help with a lot of things she had going on.  Couldn't that be considered PT for insurance purposes? lol  Strum away................
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 06:05:53 am »
You know, we've had quite a few musicians on this forum.  I think that some were even in a band.  Maybe if you search "musician" or "guitar" you could dig up their posts. 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 06:43:16 am »
Pooter,
  I'm also a guitar player, and played in a Blues band in Dallas at one time.  I find music, and playing guitar in particular, to be theraputic in that it imediately takes your mind off everything else.   I think it uses a different parts of our brain than the normal daily activities-- like work or worrying about AN!
  You'll still be playin' post-op, and still enjoying it.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Mary 117

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:39:56 am »
Hi Pooter!
I'm a musician. I play the cello and piano. I did it professionally up until about 4 years ago when I got a day job with benefits to support my music. Thank goodness to because I had real medical insurance when they found the tumor. Anyhow, I stated playing again about 6 weeks after surgery. The only issue I had was in rehearsal, if I had to move my eyes quickly to follow the music, then quickly look at the conductor and the back to music, etc, I would get a little dizzy. That went away after a while and it probably did help with the balance training.

As Rob said, the music is theraputic and when I'm in the middle of playing a Brahms symphony (loud, fast and furious), I forget all about the things that worry me. Relax, enjoy, set real goals, and have fun!!!!!

Mary
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:40:01 pm »
Thanks for all the replies!  I'm glad it seems like it might be helpful or at the very least not detrimental to recovery.  Dear wife has even said that during recovery if I can't drive but feel like continuing my lessons that she'd drive me!   ;D

I'm nowhere NEAR a professional, but I enjoy it..  It's kinda like golf..  It's one of the most difficult things to do and looks SO easy, but you keep playing for that one time you get it right!  The one time you actually make that chord change in time and on beat that you've been working at for such a long time.. or when you can actually play something and someone recognizes what song it is!

Anyhow, thanks bunches!

Pooter...
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager