Author Topic: Facial discomfort  (Read 3572 times)

Kaybee

Facial discomfort
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:13:25 am »
After two months of full facial paralysis, I've accepted (though not easyily and not happily) how I'm going to look for the next year (or more!) but I have a lot of discomfort in my cheek and in my mouth.  Tightness and pain in my mouth were my first tumor symptoms.  So I'm totally annoyed that removal of the tumor did not alleviate this.  Does the discomfort subside with time even if paralysis remains?  Or are they a package deal?

Thanks!
Kay
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Facial discomfort
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:09:56 pm »
Interesting question - I hope someone here may be able to provide some wisdom on this.  I did NOT have any facial or mouth tightness before surgery, but had grade 6 facial paralysis after which resulted in my cheek on that side feeling very tight (that is, once I regained some feeling!)  I still have tightness on that side, but I also having some parts of my face that still don't move either, so it is probably related in some way. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

amymeri

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:00:32 am »
Kaybee

Tingling and numbness were my first symptoms (and only) of my tumor and they got worse after my surgery and now 4 years out continue to be a daily issue for me.  Sensations range from pain to numbness and tingling and vary daily.  It is VERY annoying so you have my sincere sympathy!

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:20:16 pm »
At six months I'm still having similar issues...its seems to be getting better but is still an issue all the same.  Eating "neatly" is a challenge; I make a terrible mess of things and it's (was) embarrassing to eat in public...you know what though, I don't care anymore. Face first even if means getting it on your face...eat and be happy I say...I'm hungry!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:04:00 am by Doc B »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

lifeisgood

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 11:38:26 pm »
You will be surprised how common this is unfortunately.
The sad thing is that most surgeons don't know what to do with us after the surgery.
I have pain which I get approx 2 times per month (very hormonally impacted) which starts on one side and then after about a day or 2 jumps to the other side.
It feels like trigeminal neuralgia.  It can feel quite "nervy" and so uncomfortable that it is unbearable at times.
Fortunately, I can kill the pain if I take an imitrex at the very onset.  I am just getting over a 3 day bender. I managed though this time.
It is definitely aggrivated by stress as well

I make the best of it.  It hit me around 2 years or less. I have seen many doctors. I ever got a scan of my trigeminal nerve.  Nothing.  Nobody especially the neuro guys have an answer. I believe that if you have an issue with your facial nerve and there is trauma to it, that this is what can happen.

Again, you are not alone.
I am sooooo grateful when I feel good!!!!!!!
That is one lesson I have learned.

Be well.
Mary

3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach