Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 82202 times)

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2008, 10:59:09 am »
Hi Jenni,

I don't have answers but I am cheering you two on.

It seems as long as he was under, it would take awhile to get all his wits back, but I don't know. I do think it sounds good that he is realizing he is not up to his ole self. Also if he is not eating or drinking up to par yet, I would think that make a difference also. Then the steroids I have heard can do all sorts of interesting things. Hang in there. He is in good care with you. Tell him Hi for me.

I am sure others will have some insight.

Take care of YOU, too! :)

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Kaybo

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2008, 12:24:52 pm »
Jenni~
I was under for 14 hours and I did experience all of that.  I am no doctor, but I think that the longer you are under, the longer it takes to get everything back.  It is not that his brain isn't functioning, it is just still in a fog from all of the medicine on surgery day(didn't I read somewhere that it is like 10 days for every hour under?? or did I make that up?).  It will take a while to get rid of all that & be out of the fog!  He is doing great - I know it is hard being patient, but really, that is all you can do right now.  We are all SOOOO proud of Debbi and her quick recovery, but I hope he is not comparing himself to her -- she wasn't under near as long as he was (I don't think).  EVERY AN is different -- you cannot compare any two!!

Keep up the improvements!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2008, 12:25:14 pm »
Jenni -

I didn't have a problem with slow speech, but because everyone has different experiences post op it may be perfectly normal.  As Mary said, he was "under" for quite a while and if nothing else, anesthesia can cause brain fog   ::)

As you know, there have been some on this forum who burst into song regularly after their surgery, I talked like Mickey Mouse for several days; no one knows the reasons behind these things.  I'd imagine that Brian will move past this stage soon.  I hate to keep saying "give it time" but there's a lot of truth to that suggestion.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2008, 12:56:49 pm »
Jenni -

I had the slow speech thing for a little while too.  I knew what I wanted to say, but my mouth wasn't cooperating, so it felt like it was hard to get it out.  And then occasionally the wrong word would pop out - still does sometimes today.  Please tell him not to feel bad about it - it was a huge surgery and it just takes time to get back to where you were.  I'm sure he's still the genious he was before the surgery (must be pretty smart to think ahead to sending flowers.  My husband didn't have brain surgery and I just went today and bought my own flowers.)

He's making progress - it's just a lot slower than what most people are used to - but it's still progress.

And Jan.... Lori who???

Lori (the broke one...)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2008, 01:30:57 pm »
Jenni
Someone who is more versed in this like Jim Scott can give you a technical reason for the slow speech.  I do know that cognitive thinking is affected by brain surgery.  I'm five months from my surgery and I still find myself stuck for a word.  I remember what it was like trying to carry on a conversation three months ago -- I felt like a combination of the Village Idiot and Quasimoto while staggering aimlessly around.  Please tell Brian that it does get better.  I don't stagger around as much  ;).  Seriously, as I said before, this takes time and patience.  Nothing improves day to day but in month to month or even longer. But as the forum pros will attest, things do get better.

Please keep us posted.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2008, 01:37:56 pm »
I do know that cognitive thinking is affected by brain surgery.  I'm five months from my surgery and I still find myself stuck for a word. 

Hey Jenni,

Please give that "Pooter" of your's a BIG old huggle from me! :)

In follow up to David's comment, the medical community and ANA have recognized that an AN (and related treatments) can cause cognitive issues... so much so, there were discussions/workshops at last year's ANA Symposium in Philly covering the topic. The ANA may have info relative to this particular conversation and what was said at the symposium (as well as those on this forum that attended last year's symposium that may have sat in on the talks re: cognitive issues).

Just a possible avenue to think about... and don't forget, you get some rest too! hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2008, 01:50:21 pm »
Jenni.       I had mid fossa surgery on April 17th.         I am not the usual ANer here as I have NF2 and this was my 4th surgery.         My previous ones were on the right and I was with it right away.        This one was on my left.                I had some problem with swelling or some type of difficulty where  I was out of it  and forgetful for 3 days.      I then improved and was to the usual type of recovery.       It is a weird feeling when you don't feel quite right mentally.        I did improve but even now can be forgetful of some words or when I told someone.          I was warned pre op that this could happen with it being left sided surgery.     
  I think he will improve faster than you think  esp once he gets off the meds and up more and past the tired stage.    He may feel not quite right for a couple weeks.             I would worry more if he was doing it and had no clue it was happening.                     Every single surgery that I have had has caused me to feel a bit different.      I was one who did well  each time and this times event luckly was only for a short time.                 I was one who was next to deaf and I now have improved hearing so feel very lucky.                             
        Hang in there.      It all will improve in time.                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2008, 02:51:54 pm »
Hi again, Jenni:

Brian sounds as if he is progressing nicely.  Eating, drinking, walking to the bathroom and sitting in a chair are big steps for a recent post-op AN patient.  The slow speech is not necessarily something to worry about, although I'm sure its annoying to Brian.  I concur with the other posters that the long period under strong anesthesia is likely the culprit.  Like most, I was a bit groggy post-op but I 'pushed through' it and, almost as soon as I got home, (well, the next day) I was on the computer, using my brain, my hand-eye coordination and exercising my cognitive abilities.  I was fine - but it took a few days. If Brian is anything like I was, he'll be impatient to return to normalcy.  He can use that as his motivation to do whatever he has to do to 'get back'.  You'll have to be his 'monitor' and, let me warn you, Jenni, Brian may chafe at being 'watched'.  I did and I wasn't too nice to my wife when I felt she was 'stifling' me with her watchfulness.  I later realized she was simply trying to look out for me and keep me from 'overdoing it'.  I profusely apologized to Tina and, being a saint, she easily accepted my apologies.  Two years later, we can laugh about how impatient I was (to be 'normal' again) immediately post-op.  You and Brian will too.  Meanwhile, thanks for the updates. We're thinking and praying for you both. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2008, 04:01:09 pm »
Jenni,
  It's not surprising that Pooter isn't feeling up to snuf yet.   One of the things early on post-op is the need for more sleep and not gettting much.  The brain is working overtime trying to learn how to use the new vestibular input, and working on general balance.  This by itself can be taxing.  This combined with the effects of the steriods, which can make it difficult to ever reach a deep sleep state, or sleep for very long-- not to mention that a hospital environment is not a great place to try and get uninterrupted rest.  Pooter will feel better once he is home and can get the rest he needs.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2008, 04:49:43 pm »
Oh, come on Rob, 15 minutes at a time is pretty good uninterrupted rest!  That's about all I got when I was in the hospital.  Until the anaesthesiologist came in for his daily rounds one day and I asked him to please anaesthetize all the nurses so I could get some sleep.  I think he might have because the didn't bother me for a while....   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2008, 05:02:22 pm »
I do know that cognitive thinking is affected by brain surgery.  I'm five months from my surgery and I still find myself stuck for a word. 

In follow up to David's comment, the medical community and ANA have recognized that an AN (and related treatments) can cause cognitive issues... so much so, there were discussions/workshops at last year's ANA Symposium in Philly covering the topic.

Thanks for this info, Phyl.

Like David and Lori, I also find myself stuck for a word and I still have times when I'm thinking one word, but another pops out of my mouth.  Sometimes it really amazes me to hear what I just said  ::)

I wish I would have been at last year's symposium; this is a discussion/workshop I would surely have attended.  I wonder if these issues last forever or go away in time?  Anyone who attended the symposium know?

Lori - great idea about anesthestizing the nurses so patients can get some rest.  I wish I could have anesthestized my neurosurgeon.  He's a great guy - absolutely love him - but every morning like clockwork he would stop in about 6:30 a.m. to see how I was doing.  I kept telling him that he could stop in later in the day, but he would have none of it  :(

Jan (way broker than Lori)

Is broker even a word  ???
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tamara

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2008, 05:20:47 pm »
Another thought - if he is used to caffeine daily, and is now not getting it, he may be foggy from that too.  Even without surgery of any sort, I feel dull without it.

Well Wishes!
Tamara (caffeine addict)
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2008, 06:05:12 pm »
Hi Jenni (and Brian)

I would have to think, like others have said, that all that time under anesthesia would be contributing.  I was fuzzy for several days and was only in surgery 5.5 hours - Brian was more than double that amount of time. 

I also have to think that steroids may be playing a role.  They definitely interrupted my sleep patterns, and that can mess with memory pretty significantly.  Also, remember that even normal stress can affect memory - and if this isn't stressful, I'm not sure what is! 

I think patience is the hardest thing right now - for all of us who are post surgical.  Tell Brian not to be too hard on himself.  If it helps, my recovery has not been bump free either - last two days were close to the worst I've had.  But tomorrow is another day.

Hugs to you both,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2008, 07:28:23 pm »
Broker Jan,

Contact the ANA office... I believe there are notes or videos or such that cover last year's symposium. The office can tell you what they have specifically to the workshop on cognitive. I, myself, would like to know was well... sometimes words are in my head faster than I can process verbally or in writing.  I figured... that's just me.

Phyl

In follow up to David's comment, the medical community and ANA have recognized that an AN (and related treatments) can cause cognitive issues... so much so, there were discussions/workshops at last year's ANA Symposium in Philly covering the topic.

Thanks for this info, Phyl.

I wish I would have been at last year's symposium; this is a discussion/workshop I would surely have attended.  I wonder if these issues last forever or go away in time?  Anyone who attended the symposium know?

Jan (way broker than Lori)

Is broker even a word  ???

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2008, 07:47:48 pm »
If you look on the homepage under items for sale, you will see what workshops from the symposium are for sale from Cambridge Transcriptions.             Other years are also available.
                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care