Author Topic: Anyone require 2nd surgery after tumor to remove infected bone?  (Read 4961 times)

juliotamu

I replied with a post to "wanderer" yesterday.

I'm considering cancelling my surgery to remove a piece of bone about the size of a quarter which they say is infected, although I have no infection symtoms and think the wound in my skull should be able to be covered by plastic surgery without removing the bone plug from my accoustic neuroma surgery a year ago. The wound has been draining for a year now, and only thought it didnt look right in december. Surgery from neursurgery and plastic surgery scheduled.

I'm wondering if I should let them remove the bone leaving soft spot in my skull about 1" diameter and cover it, or get another opinion.

Any suggestions are appreciated as my surgery is supposed to be 4/19 (this wed). I was just told a couple of days ago about the bone infection.

Scott

ORIGINAL POST
"I had acoustic neuroma surgery 3/15/05 to remove a 2.5 cm tumor by an incision behind the ear. The tumor was draining for a year or so. I saw the doctor on 5/19/05, then 9/05, 11/05, when finally in 12/05 a neurosurgery doctor didnt like the way the wound looked and put me in the hospital. The doctor wanted plastic surgery to help work on the wound but they would not see me due to no insurance. So the doctor still didnt tell me the bone was infected. I thought it just needed covering.

I procrastinated to see if my dizzyness would get better (dizzy since 11/04 due to blood vessel bursting due to tumor) till March, entered a different hospital where my doctor said the plastic surgery people would see me. They scheduled the surgery but again threw me out of the hospital due to no insurance (different hospital than one where acoustic neuroma performed).

They then scheduled plastic surgery clinic appt in April 06 where surgery was scheduled for 4/19. Now after talking to my neurosurgery doctor he says the bone put back in the hole after surgery is infected and they will cut a quarter size hole of bone out, then let plastic surgery cover it leaving a soft spot on my head. There was drainage from the wound from 3/05 to now (4/06) and I'm wondering if their delay resulted in the infdection and if I should get the bone drilled out.

Thats my experience. Since I'm dizzy all the time I'm trying to get SSI (have attorney now)."

Battyp

Re: Anyone require 2nd surgery after tumor to remove infected bone?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 01:56:02 pm »
Scott,
  My step mom had some kind of brain surgery many years ago and they left her skull out and she has a soft spot. It's never bothered her.  If you are not comfortable with the decision I'd encourage you to get a second opinion.

katherine

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 09:54:44 pm »
Hi,  It sounds like you really ought to get something done with this draining wound.  It is dangerous to have an open wound.  Listen to your doctors and maybe get a second opinion.  I had surgery to remove an infected bone plug and they got right on it.  It used to be common to leave out the bone plug and I dont have one now and it is okay.  I have headaches like a lot of people, but no infection.  There is a strand on here that talks about that.  I think it is under headaches.  Check out the strands on bone cement problems also.  Let us know how things are going.  Katherine

juliotamu

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 07:32:31 am »
Hello everyone,

Still no secondary surgery. Still have the same dizziness that I had 2 years ago. Waiting for SS disability hearing. Still have draining wound since original surgery on 3/15/05.

It seems that I have to have multiple appointments with either plastic surgery clinic or neurosurgery clinic with who doctors change regularly. The doctor that did the acoustic neuroma surgery on 3/15/06 won't see me any more w/o insurance. Havent been to his office since 5/05. A doctor in neurosurgery wrote a letter stating that there is nothing they can do about the dizziness and recommends SS disability. Ive given this letter to my attorney.

Since 4/06,I was advised by Shea ear clinic (who I independently made appt with for second opinion) that if the acoustic neoroma surgery had been done correctly and balance nerves were cut that I shouldn't be dizzy (not in writing). They also performed a test with cold water in the ear while monitoring eye activity that there is no procedure they could try that would help. The operative report of the acoustic neoroma surgery on 3/15/06 shows they did not find 8th nerve during surgery but I don't know if there were other nerves that were cut or not.

A small screw fell out of my head and I found out for the first time a plate was installed over the bone plug put back in my head after surgery. Also I understand now that bone plug is dead and may have to be removed and covered over with skin by plastic surgery.

Surgery was scheduled 9/25/06 by plastic surgery. They were supposed to be aided by an unknown (by me) neurosurgeon to remove the bone plug if necessary. Showed up, was told surgery cancelled for unknown reason. No doctors called despite my repeated messages. Can't locate them because they work for hospital out of clinic that meets once a month.

It looks like you are in big trouble w/o insurance and have few options to go elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks

themis1982

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 11:05:16 am »
I had a 2nd surgery to remove a growth on my skull....I don't think it was infected, but it was pushing my bone out. It was draining, swollen and very tender. The doctor told me that it wasn't causing any immediate alarm, I could hold off as long as I could bear the pain, but it would have to be taken care of eventually. I decided to get it over with, so they sawed off the edge of my bone in a procedure that only took about an hour. Post-op headache and drowsiness can only be expected. Aside from that it wasn't bad at all. Trust me, this surgery will be cake after the first one.