Author Topic: I feel like a "phony"  (Read 9901 times)

Sefra22

I feel like a "phony"
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:36:22 am »
Everyone I know keeps telling me how well I am handling my diagnosis. In fact, I can't imagine any of them handiling it as well as I am. I try so hard to keep positive, but yesterday I had a total meltdown when I got home from work.  :'(    Does it mean I'm really not doing as well as I think I am? 
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Pembo

Re: I feel like a "phony"
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 11:51:40 am »
Nope, it means you are normal. Most of the time I could be very positive and optimistic both before and after surgery but there were definitely those times when I let it all explode. I definitely think that it is healthy to let it all out sometimes. Hang tough............
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:53:05 am »
Not at all....we all have our meltdown days.  If you're doing what I did, you're strong for everyone because you're trying to make them not so uncomfortable...everyone always acted so weird when they found out that it made me uncomfortable a lot.  Sometimes the burden just gets too much and you have to have a meltdown.  That's why we're here to talk to because we know how you feel.  That was the most comforting thing to me.  It just takes finding balance.  It's a heavy burden to be holding.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

tony

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 12:08:00 pm »
You should not worry so - it is mentally exhausting waiting for issues like these
to be resolved - one on the list had cancer earlier in life - and thought it
mentally (at least)  easier to deal with (??!!??)
Basically the medical profession moved very quickly - and she didnt really
have too long to dwell on it. With an A.N. time is not really so crucial
to the cure rate - so I/you/we, are often kept waiting.
It frays the nerves for sure
- so you can allow yourself a day off here and there
Best Regards
Tony

pattibobatti

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 01:13:17 pm »
Hi sefra,

Well, same An size, same surgery (retro-sigmoid) and almost same surgery date , only 1 year earlier. So, we have some things in common!!

You sound very normal.  This is such 'big stuff' to handle. Actually, plenty of people were concerned at times because I handled it so well. I say, when you feel like it, scream if you want!!!!

Take care,
Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 01:14:41 pm »
Sefra,

Ã‚  Please don't feel that way. Is it that you're feeling this way because others are making you feel like this? It can be maddening I know.
I've gone through a lot of grief in my life.  Keep the faith though, you'll get through it all!
 Generally. people really don't care too much about another person's dilemma unless it's happening to or somehow concerning them.  Live is overwhelming regardless of whether things are going well or not. It seems that if we're not worrying or concerned about what is happening, then we're worried or concerned about what could or will happen.

Ã‚ Even after having gone through what I went through, I've been dissed and laughed at. I'm tired. Tired of being human.

Ã‚  Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 01:43:55 pm »
Sefra I say enjoy your meltdown!  It's hard trying to stay strong and accept what we have been dealt with.  Sometimes we need to have our pity party so we can pick ourselves back up and get through another day.  No one understood what I was going through and still don't except for the people I've met on here.  It's been my lifesaver!  I  had to stay strong throughout my diagnosis and surgery and didn't have time for any meltdowns before treatment...I find them to be very therapuetic now.  Sometimes it's just too hard to try to keep the smile in place and say this too shall pass!  I've enjoyed a day of timeout, no production except to get lost in a good book.  I feel guilty for the indulgence but just needed the mental down time to regroup.  Big Hugs to keep you strong!  :-*

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 01:57:20 pm »
On the outside you may look like your handling it well. On the inside you will be going through many different emotion, many times.  From being scarred, to mad, to crying uncontrollably, to being so angry you just want to scream. So go right ahead and scream. Having your own pitty party every so often as you circle around through these emotions is not only part of the deal, it's a requirement if you want to get through this. A person can only be so strong, you need to have some outlet.  As said a few posts ago on this thread, the people on this site are really the only people who can truly relate to how you are feeling and what you are and are going to go through. The effects of AN are not easily conveyed to non AN'ers
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

DeniseSmith

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 02:08:24 pm »
You ARE definitely NORMAL!!!!!

Shortly after i was diagnosed, I quit telling my friends, because all I ended up doing was trying to comfort them.   I got tired of putting on a strong and positive outlook to them.

I have had many a blow up/meltdown, both before and after my surgery.   

Denise 8)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 02:15:30 pm »
I was genuinely scared before my surgery. Sometimes I'd sit and cry a bit thinking of what I would have to endure. Having the shunt surgery a month before gave me just a taste of things to come. But you know what? I emerged from the whole ordeal stronger than I was before. Stronger and more experienced. While this is a hard situation to endure - the hardest thing I ever went through! - it is not the end of the world. You'll get through. There's nothing wrong with feeling the emotions your having. It's only natural!

Ã‚                        Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Jeanlea

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 03:01:56 pm »
I agree with everyone else.  You are perfectly normal.  I only had a month between diagnosis and surgery so I didn't have a lot of time to think about it.  When I told people I kept it light, like it was no big deal.  I guess I didn't want them to worry about me.  One person heard through the grapevine about my tumor and thought I was going to die.  I had to call her and tell her it wasn't true.  lol  Since my surgery I've had people tell me how great it is that I have such a positive attitude.  I just smile (well try to anyway) and think to myself what other choice do I have?  I still have the occasionally meltdowns.  I just do it in private or vent on here.  This is a great place for that.  It is so true that no one else really knows what it's like to have to deal with ANs. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 03:17:41 pm »
AAAAAAAAARRRR Sefra--
Even the heartiest of us Wenches and Skallywags has meltdowns!  Even your fearless Capt Deb has meltdowns! But ain't no one know how ya feels 'cept us here cuz we all been through it!
So, take it easy
Listen to some Buffett
Take a bubble bath
paint yer toenails (red and greens my favorite)
Keep Postin' here

Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sefra22

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 03:58:20 pm »
I feel better already. Your responses helped more than I can say. I don't know what I would do without the forum. I have learned more here than anywhere, including my from my doctors. I know it's hard for people who aren't going through it to understand. I didn't understand myself for the first few weeks.

On the outside you may look like your handling it well. On the inside you will be going through many different emotion, many times. From being scarred, to mad, to crying uncontrollably, to being so angry you just want to scream. So go right ahead and scream. Having your own pitty party every so often as you circle around through these emotions is not only part of the deal, it's a requirement if you want to get through this. A person can only be so strong, you need to have some outlet. As said a few posts ago on this thread, the people on this site are really the only people who can truly relate to how you are feeling and what you are and are going to go through. The effects of AN are not easily conveyed to non AN'ers
You hit the nail on the head!

AAAAAAAAARRRR Sefra--
Even the heartiest of us Wenches and Skallywags has meltdowns! Even your fearless Capt Deb has meltdowns! But ain't no one know how ya feels 'cept us here cuz we all been through it!
So, take it easy
Listen to some Buffett
Take a bubble bath
paint yer toenails (red and greens my favorite)
Keep Postin' here

Captain Deb

Can I listen to Elton John instead? I'm a lifelong fan! As a matter of fact I painted my toenails today! Why? Because I was having a mammogram! I know it makes no sense to me either ;)
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 04:26:10 pm »
Good, the less sense it makes, the better....that's why we call ourselves the wacky wonky-headed wenches (you'll understand wonky-headed more after surgery).  Get as much humor and laughter in as you can, it's the best medicine.  We'll keep ya company before and after your surgery, you will do just fine.   I had to wait 4 months from diagnosis till surgery, and it seemed like forever.  But now it seems like seconds now that I'm 6 weeks out.  Hang in there, if us nuts can make it, so can you!!!!!!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 04:34:36 pm »
Sefra22:

An Acoustic Neuroma is admittedly scary - on many levels.  So, when you inform friends, relatives and/or co-workers of your condition - "I have a brain tumor" is not a great ice-breaker, by the way - it's only natural for people to becomed alarmed (for you) and to expect you to be equally alarmed.   That reaction is based on misperceptions.  I used to explain that I had a 'sort-of' brain tumor - but I made sure to quickly add the two magic words:  'benign' and 'operable'.    Still, most folks hear the words 'brain tumor' and immediately tune out anything else.  They assume you are going to die and when you act positive, they cannot always understand it.  This may be based on ignorance but it's also simple human nature and the fact that you are being positive in the face of a medical crisis is nothing to apologize for.  Neither is having doubts and private 'melt-downs'.  You, too, are just a human being and have the usual fears and concerns as anyone with an AN diagnosis.  You have a right to be anxious, even scared, sometimes.  I firmly believe that no one who has experienced an Acoustic Neuroma diagnosis can say they haven't been scared at some point.  We are all vulnerable to our fears. 

As a Christian, my faith gave me great comfort both before and after my surgery, and, as I could only do so much to 'fix' this, I put myself totally in God's hands.  That gave me (and my wife) great peace and it was reflected in my genuine positive attitude and my sincere belief that this would 'be O.K.'  I never actually felt that it wouldn't, but of course I had my fears, mostly about bad after-effects of AN surgery.  When, pre-op, after a CAT-scan, the doctors thought they had detected a huge tumor on my liver, I was still calm and did not panic, even as my primary physician sounded alarm bells and offered my wife his deepest sympathy.  My neurosurgeon cancelled my schedulled AN surgery, which he patently explained was simply 'a precaution'.  A bioposy proved the tumor to be a hemangioma - a benign tumor made up of blood vessels. ...not cancerous or in any way threatening.  No treatment was necessary and my AN surgery (retrosigmoid approach, same as you are having) was hastily re-scheduled.   

While we were waiting for the results of the liver bioposy, I never wavered in my belief that if God wanted my life I was ready and willing to give it back to Him.  It had been a good one.  I'm 63, so, admittedly, this attitude wasn't as hard for me to adopt as it might be for someone 30 years younger and with dependent children.  Still,  although I was ready to accept the end of my mortal life on earth, I didn't really want it to end, if that were possible,  Still, being determinedly optimistic, I always believed that the liver tumor would be benign, so, until I knew for sure, one way or the other (48 hours is a loooong time in these situations) I never got panicky or had a melt-down.   Neither did my wife.  Nervous?  You bet.  Depressed?  Never.

My neurosurgeon's secretary (and most of our friends) marveled at our 'composure' in the face of the AN and (possible) cancer diagnosis.  We just smiled and said that we were Christians and accepted God's will for my life, which was the truth.  We were also doing everything we could (in the sense of being positive, having an excellent surgeon, etc) regarding my 'condition'.   In the end, it all worked out. My surgery was relatively uneventful, I came through just fine and have had a speedy and near-complete recovery (at 10 weeks, post-op) with none of the weird and (naturally) depressing side effects some AN patients have, unfortunately, had to deal with.   Now, a bit over 2 months post-op, when I see someone I haven't seen for awhile, they invariably tell me how good I look.  It's kind of nice. 

Can I offer you or anyone else the promise of a similar experience with their AN surgery?  Of course not.  Yes, of course having a strong, grounded religious faith iis very helpful in dealing with this kind of health crisis but having a positive attitude is also a choice.  Shortly after my diagnosis (a month before my surgery) I looked back and realized how blessed I had been all these years.  Good health, doing the work I wanted to do, a secure, loving marriage and a (now adult) son I could be proud of and who never gave us any 'trouble'.  I live in a pleasant suburban neighborhood, in an attractive condo (worth twice what I paid for it), drive a new car (O.K., it's only a Honda), dress pretty well and enjoy a lot of life's small pleasures, such as eating out with my wife a few times per week.  I was always determined to 'come back' from AN surgery as fully and as quickly as possible.  I did.  My neurosurgeon was pleasantly surprised - and almost baffled - as were my friends. 

Now, a positive attitude can only do so much, of course, but it will never do you any harm, I can tell you that - with confidence - from my own experience.  So, Sefra, keep yours and don't let it go.  Yes, you will inevitably have some 'down' times and harbor some fears but face them, deal with them and don't apologize for having them.  Crying and feeling scared are not anything to be ashamed of.  That you choose to do so in private is a valid decision.  No matter how much others sympathize and 'feel for you', no one really knows what you're going through (the folks on this board come as close as you can get).  Realistically, few people in your circle probably really want to hear about your fears - and even if they did - what can they possibly say to you?   Keep that brave facade, it helps everyone to cope better...especially you.   Use this board to vent your fears and worries.  That's why it's here.

Best of luck in your 'AN journey' - and please know that we will all be here for you as you need us.

Jim

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 10:03:57 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.