Author Topic: MRI picture: Is this an acoustic neuroma? Pic included  (Read 7804 times)

twinmama

MRI picture: Is this an acoustic neuroma? Pic included
« on: December 16, 2015, 07:23:13 pm »

I had an MRI yesterday. I have a many of the symptoms for acoustic neuroma. I have no idea what I am looking at though! Does anyone have an idea?

twinmama

Re: MRI picture: Is this an acoustic neuroma? Pic included
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 09:00:38 pm »
Move pic to the right to see full pic

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 02:39:43 pm »
Definitely not...
Doesn't mean you don't have one. But the MRI picture you have sent us is too high up in the skull.
Need slices lower down.
As for the other dots... Could be a blood vessel.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 05:19:25 pm »

I had an MRI yesterday. I have a many of the symptoms for acoustic neuroma. I have no idea what I am looking at though! Does anyone have an idea?

Take a look at this photo which is a cross section similar to yours and shows where ANs appear, either right or left of center.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Kristena

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 01:57:31 pm »
That is just crazy huge! I'm glad to read you are doing well from the neck down  ;)

Hilarious that when you go to the site with the picture, it gives you options to create a photo calendar, mouse pad, greeting cards, etc!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 03:27:50 am »
Kristena,

Yeah, I just noticed that! I started the account on Photobucket only yesterday to be able to post that scan here.

To think I was going around with that thing in my head as long as I had. I kept going until I couldn't put one foot in front of the other; and I was was in great shape at the time, running 5 miles every day on trails through the woods and weight training.

I was also working as a musician, no less, gigging 5-6 times a week and driving all over the place every night. I was half-deaf and lightheaded with double vision that was convex at times with fatigue that was like a deathly malaise. I kept getting pulled over for swerving and marked lanes violations but never received a ticket. One night I actually passed out behind the wheel, ending up broadsiding a snow bank on the opposite side of the road. Luckily, no one was coming the other way.

When I complained about it people would tell me it was "all in my head"! Toward the end my equilibrium collapsed entirely.
It was so bad I had to crawl up stairs on my hands and knees. When I tried to jog I'd fall flat on my face when I came to a stop or if running down an incline. I couldn't walk on any surface that was uneven; I'd stumble and fall like a listless bag of rocks.

At the end I had come to the conclusion on my own that I either had M.S. or a brain tumor.

It was quite an experience!

It was quite an experience!
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Kristena

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 02:59:12 pm »
In all seriousness, I didn't mean to make light of your situation, and I sincerely hope you are doing well! 
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!