Author Topic: Books regarding brains  (Read 21793 times)

Palace

• Palace
Re: Books regarding brains
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 07:12:29 pm »
On Amazon for example, Brain Surgeon by Keith Black, MD (with Arnold Mann and a foreword by, Forest Whitaker) the benefits of this book are astronomical although there are two basic AN sections.  (estimated pages with AN data of about 35-40)

Formats         Price         New    Used    Collectible
Hardcover
Only 8 left in stock - order soon.
   $24.99    $16.65       $4.89    $0.01    $9.99
Kindle Edition Auto-delivered wirelessly         $9.99         
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 11:25:00 am »
Hello Family Village,

SAMe (not to be offtrack) shows by studies that it helps support a positive outlook, cross the blood-brain barrier, where it affects the synthesis and activation of various proteins, such as neurotransmitters.  I take "this over-the-counter" drug which plays a roll in transmethylation.  Transmethylation reactions affect the synthesis activation, and metabolism of various biological molecules.  The compounds that SAMe methylates are phospholipids.  This is a fundamental step in the mediation of cell-to-cell communication.  Levels of SAMEe tend to decline with age. 

This drug not only helps me sleep--- it aids in concentrating fully on reading very detailed brain books and other educational books.  SAMe helps support joint comfort, function and mobility in the spine, hips, and knees.   This OTC medicine might help with balance for those of you with the AN stages and fear.  Please do ask your doctor about this drug before taking it even though you may easily purchase SAMe at any health-related store.

I'm not pushing this OTC drug, just enlightening the help I've noticed experimenting as do most of us, during "our own blind alley" feeling our way alone through the walls of our AN path.

Blueberries seem to help the brain and I do notice a difference eating copious amounts of fresh blueberries when I try and retain most, if not all the information I read with these brain books.  It helps when I read these books to gain a positive outlook and stimulate my brain at the same time.

I read The Tell-Tale Brain by V.S. Ramachandran about a year or so, ago.  This is an excellent book, as is The Pain Chronicles by Melanie Thernstrom, The Brain Book by Peter Russell and the Paradoxical Brain. edited by Narinder Kapur however, I just want to mention the one book that I didn't find a contents section which I read lately is, The Brain Surgeon by Keith Black, MD.

I'm a patient (pardon the pun) person and usually plod my way through books I'm not even interested in although in brain books, I try to find the Acoustic Neuroma data (if there is any) first, in a book regarding the brain.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions with "brain books" coming around this thread.

Regards,

Palace

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:59:28 am by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 04:58:36 pm »
Leapyrtwins:

Would you like to give us some details about the book, "I Had Brain Surgery, What's Your Excuse?"  What impressed you the most about that book?

Thank-you,

Palace
single sided deafness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 09:40:40 am »
Palace -

it's been a few years since I read it.  But what stuck with me the most was the author's sense of humor - something that I thrive on and couldn't have made it through my AN Journey without.  I even got my neurotologist, a low-key serious-type of guy to get on my humor bandwagon and by the time I had my BAHA implant surgery he and I were cracking jokes in the midst of his drilling  ;D

The author's brain tumor is more of a "brain tumor" than an AN is - by that I mean there was a question of whether her tumor was malignant or benign.  And I also remember that her recovery was somewhat different than those of us with an AN.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 11:23:52 pm »
Hello Friends:

When I have time the latest books I have waiting for me are, "The Emotional Life Of Your Brain" Richard J. Davidson, Ph.D. with Sharon Begley (best selling author of 'Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain') recommended on this thread, "Living Well with a Hidden Disability" Stacy Taylor, M.S.W., L.C.S.W. with Robert Epstein, Ph.D. and lastly for now---"The Human Brain Rita Carter." (an illustrated guide to it's structure, function, and disorders) This book includes a DVD.

I'm extremely busy with work so, I don't know when I'll read these.  I've got some lighter reading material right now and need a break from "brain books."

Thank-you for all your ideas for books and insight material on AN and brain-related data. 

Keep posting any new books for review, if you like.  I've learned so much already.

Palace
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:26:15 pm by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 08:41:39 am »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 08:50:32 pm »
Hello AN Friends:

The Hell in the Head by David Douglas Shannon is excellent and I enjoyed reading his book.  Thanks to David for his much-needed contribution for all of us.

The forum here is great for new people and now very well organized.

I found it heart-warming that David was able to meet other AN patients.

From all I've read on this forum and in brain books, I had very unusual and severe/serious symptoms which I don't see as common.  I'm pleased to see this book so quickly published since David really got going writing, considering all the other activities he has with his personal life.

I'm hoping other people from this forum will (or have already) read and appreciated his work.

Thank-you so much, David!

Palace
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:29:29 pm by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 06:54:34 am »
An Acoustic What? One patient's Acoustic Neuroma journey
__________________________________________________________________________________________

An Acoustic What? One patient's Acoustic Neuroma journey [Paperback]
Yvonne Tommis (Author)
5.0 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (1 customer review) | Like (0)
Price:    $14.50 Eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime.

Amazon Price    New from    Used from
Kindle Edition    $3.99         --    --
Paperback    $14.50       $8.49    $7.66
single sided deafness

alabamajane

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 03:02:33 pm »
I want to say "amen" concerning David Shannon's new book, Hell in the Head.. it is an easy , excellent read and has some VERY helpful resources and info especially for the newly diagnosed,, in easy to read language. Very timely indeed. Thanks,, David!! Jane
Amazon.com... $14.95
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

New girl

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 04:36:51 pm »
Thanks Palace.  Hope all is well with you.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

New girl

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 06:00:04 pm »
I just read "An Acoustic What? One patient's Acoustic Neuroma journey" by Yvonne Tommis.  It was a good read.  The focus of this book was more on the struggle to find doctors and make a treatment decision whereas LA David's "Hell in my Head" book focused on post treatment issues.  She refers to the IAC as an "anatomical Spaghetti Junction."  I thought that was clever.  Thanks Palace for the recommendation.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011

luvzmutt

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 07:42:34 pm »
Doing a search in the Barnes and Noble online bookstore, with the keywords "acoustic neuroma", I came across a book that was just published on October 30th called "Diagnosis Brain Tumor" by C. Michael Miller.  It's available as a NookBook for $3.99.  I am going to check it out!
Right side AN diagnosed 7/10 - 6.1 mm x 7.8 mm
1st follow-up MRI 1/10/11 - 0.9 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
2nd follow-up MRI 7/11/11 - 1.0 x 0.7 x 0.6 cm
Follow-Up 12/20/11 - no noticeable change
MRI 11/26/12 - .5x1.0x.6 cm
MRI 10//21/13 - 0.8 x 1.0 x 0.7
Some hearing loss AN side and tinnitus
NF1 & optic glioma

grace

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 02:20:13 pm »
How many of you find that to process info and actually do what you meant to do is an issue? I am not sure if it the AN or? But this past yr  or so I think to act on something but it takes so long or I never do. I was such a doer multi tasker and although I have just been diagnosed a 11/23/12 I am putting the pieces together and better understanding them. My hearing has been lost partially  for over 6 months. my research has gone from they want to remove it very soon to another MD who's done over 1000 of AN removal said there are not stats on if we watch and wait or not (= do surgery or radiation)the research is the same   those who wait or those who get it out seem to not get rid of AN - it is a lifetime b/c they can grow back... this was a real blow yet I thanked him for his honesty since I  being in the med/dental profession realize how it  has all become such a business. Although I believe that brain tumors would never be in that category I am aware of how I was ready to get it out with the chance of loosing full hearing or whatever can happen even w/CK at low doses. I have been on overload w/ over 150 hrs of research  on AN and over 7  expert MD's giving me their expert opinions.... Not one matched the other.... so sad we still do not have = standards or protocols... I am depressed I think over this  ...those who I tell say fix it and move on - b/c everyone wants it over with - from what   info I see this is a lifetime - so ACCEPTANCE is in order fro me. After 7 long years of suffering other major events this was a real blow... esp the hearing and balance that is never predictable.. Hope everyone really does their research as Dr. Tward who works at Boston General was gracious enough to call me after I sent all to him and be honest and extremely informative... God Bless you all and have us all be supportive for each other as each one of us is our thumbprint.. and cannot go thru anything unless it is to serve us to our highest good.... Grace Gentle Healing

New girl

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 03:43:02 pm »
Just finished reading Suzy Becker's "I had brain surgery, what's your excuse?".  It was a WONDERFUL book!  Very honest book filled with great humor.  We live in the same area so I also appreciated a lot of the local references.  I am looking into getting some of her other books. 
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2013, 03:40:52 pm »
Hi New Girl and Friends:

There will be more books out regarding the brain since techs probably can tell what we are thinking during an MRI scan.

You might  be interested in how pain is measured from scans these days and new details.

http://news.yahoo.com/doctors-brain-scans-see-measure-pain-210707739.html

Regards,

Palace

single sided deafness