Author Topic: acoustic nueroma  (Read 2771 times)

MMusella

acoustic nueroma
« on: January 22, 2015, 07:00:27 pm »
1week & 2 days and going strong..my vestibular rehabilitation I see 3xs a week says laughter and family and friends are the best remedy...the tumor (which was the size of bigger than a golf ball).. is gone and mom of 4 &career women is newly to emerge..anyone willing to tell their story please do..all positive feedback welcomed..
Michelle
40 years old, was diagnosed with a 3.5cm.(right side)AN in Nov, 2014 and having surgery on January 13th 2015, live in upstate NY..had a 13 hour surgery. .100%tumor removal. I did 8 weeks of vestibular rehabilitation and went back to my life and career,  with no side effects :)... life is great!!!

Susang8

Re: acoustic nueroma
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 05:42:04 pm »
Hi Michelle...glad to hear you are doing well 1 week post-op!! Here is my story.

I am 58 years old and am 12 weeks post-op after Translab surgery to remove a 2.8cm left AN that was pressing on my brain stem and cerebellum.  The size and location made surgery asap my only option. My surgery was done at Toronto Western Hospital by Dr John Rutka (Otolaryngologist) and Dr Michael Tymianski (Neurosurgeon). 

My surgery was 9 hours long, they were able to remove the entire tumour, and aside from some nausea and vomiting when I first woke up after surgery, I have had absolutely no issues.  No dizziness, no balance problems, no pain, no headaches, no facial paralysis, no eye issues.  I was driving again a week after surgery, and back at the gym doing my full workout at 3 weeks post-op.  I am now SDD on my left side, but I had lost virtually all of my hearing before the surgery and I had already adjusted to being deaf on that side so now being SDD has not required any additional adjustments.

I did need extra sleep for the first 2-3 weeks, and my left ear still feels "full", but other than that, my recovery has been uneventful.  I had a post-op MRI with contrast yesterday to establish a baseline for comparison for my yearly MRIs which I will have to monitor any re growth.   

So I am back to 100%, and that thing is out of my head so life is very good!

I sincerely hope that your recovery continues to progress as well as mine did! 

Susan

Diagnosed with 2.8cm AN May 15, 2014
TransLab surgery completed October 27, 2014
No eye or facial problems, balance good, no dizziness
SDD and some tinnitus
Tumour completely removed
Life is VERY good!

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 06:17:29 pm »
It's posts like these that make me second guess my WW status.  You two folks didn't have the option of WW, so you just did what you had to do and it worked out great.  Mine is 1cm so I am sitting it out for now, just getting MRI's until I have to make a move.  Experiences like yours make it hard to know if I am doing the right thing.  I figure at some point I'll have to make a move, when it is established that mine has grown.

I am so glad to you have had such a great outcome.  I am happy for you, and it is encouraging to me that recovery from surgery can be so "not bad".  I'm sure it wasn't a complete walk in the park, so you two must have a bit of a "stiff upper lip".  That fortitude is probably a large contributing factor to your strong recoveries.  Thanks for passing this along to us.

Well done!
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 12:30:28 pm »
Wow Susan & Michelle I'm so happy you had such a great outcome.  I can say that I wish I could say the same, but we all have different outcomes.  But you both are an inspiration to me so please keep on posting.  I'm going to catch-up to you!!!

Best wishes.
Michelle (Mimispree)
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.