Author Topic: Mayo Clinic Finds Stereotactic Radiosurgery is Successful for Most Large AN's  (Read 2140 times)

jb

• My MRI sequence:
Hi all,
I got this article via Google alerts, so just thought I'd pass it along.  They used GK and don't give a lot of details about the size of AN's treated (except that they're "large").  Results look encouraging, although patients with smaller tumors still fare better on average.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100504006497&newsLang=en
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

Lizard

Wow thanks for sharing Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
JB ~

Interesting and because it's from the prestigious Mayo Clinic, carries a lot of weight.  I'd like to know exactly what size the 'large' ANs were but a 85% rate of success (no re-growth) is definitely attention-grabbing. 

Thanks for passing this along.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
I also agree that it is a good article.  The one exception is that it does not clarify after 5 years why hearing went down.  Dr. Jackler of Stanford has told me that folks start losing hearing after 5 years because the cochlea does not handle radiation well.  I just wish someone would do a study on just that.  I mean you're between a rock and a hard place.  Let the tumor grow and lose hearing, have radiation and lose hearing.

TJ

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
JB,

Appreciate you sharing this and it is worth following up. I am interested to know the details behind that study - key stats etc are important when releasing that type of info. You have to be careful with statistics coz they can be manipulated. Nonetheless - it does sound very good.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz