Author Topic: Perhaps AN  (Read 10229 times)

mel07

Re: Perhaps AN
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 10:56:48 pm »
Well I saw an ENT yesterday. He immediately suspected an AN - or MS - and sent me for MRI today.

Just got the results. Doc won't be back till MOnday to read them, but I think it's good.

IMPRESSION:
1 Findings of a few isolated foci of signal alternation within the white matter. THese are nonspecific findings and may be associated with small vessel disease/gliosis. these findings are not specific of a demyelelinsating process.
2 No specific findings of recent infarction, hemmorrage of contrast enhanced lesion.
3 No obvious abnormatlities identitfied along the 7th r 8th nerve complexes

mel07

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 11:26:47 pm »
So i guess i still may have a brain tumour, just not a cool one.  :P

suboo73

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 05:39:20 am »
Hi Mel!

I am so glad to hear you have had your MRI!
Sorry i can't interpret the results - mine was fairly definitive and i read the results long before i talk to the doc.

Please keep us posted on the interpretation - AN or not, we are glad you are here!   ;D

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 02:35:07 pm »
Hi, Mel ~

Of course I'm not a doctor and cannot offer a definitive analysis of your MRI report but my 'uneducated' guess is that you do not have an acoustic neuroma .  This is good.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 09:31:04 pm »
Mel,
Hmmmm, who knows what you have? But nothing toooooo alarming, I guess.
Let us know what the doc says on monday.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mel07

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 10:36:17 pm »
Thank you all for bearing with me. Of course i will know nothing till monday, and even then i think i will find a neuro, rather than go back to that ENT. I don't want to jump the gun, but I really have a lot of neurological issues (the hearing loss was actually the least of them until the tinnitus), and I think a neuro-opthalmologist will be my next stop. I have many, many scotomas in my vision and visual migraines and the hearing loss was the straw etc. I will let you guys know, of course. Blesssings. x

sgerrard

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 12:25:51 am »
My amateur read would be that #1 is saying you don't have MS; #2 is saying you haven't had a stroke and don't have a tumor; and #3 is saying you don't have an AN.

I have an occasional scintillating scotoma (love that term), fortunately not followed by any headache. Frequent ones would indicate an neuro-opthalmologist is in order, so that sounds like a good plan. I hope you get to the bottom of it!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mel07

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 10:09:24 pm »
Hi again and thanks Steve. You put my mind at rest over the weekend.
Apparently I was meant to have an appointment with the ENT yesterday, but I missed it ... anyway, I rang them and asked the receptionist for a reading of the MRI report over the phone. She told it was "pretty unremarkable" and didn't suggest I come in. So I guess that's a good thing. Will keep you posted. Thank you again for all your input and support.
x

kford

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2010, 10:15:52 pm »
Denial is no longer just a river in Egypt! I had hoped too that it was just ear wax in my left ear that prevented me from hearing well. But a 3cm AN caught me off guard. It is a better idea to get the MRI done so that you can move on in life whether a AN is present or not.
Gamma knife procedure 1/25/08 for a 3cm AN. Left facial weakness after contacting Ramsey/Hunt Syndrome. (They say) No hearing in left ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 06:40:06 am »
Mel -

glad to hear you don't have an AN.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mel07

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2010, 10:03:42 am »
Of course I'm relieved at this news - but there's still the matter of the sensori-neural hearing loss and tinnitus.   ???

PLUS, worrier that I am, I'm still not 100% convinced they didn't miss something. This MRI was done in a small town, not a large hospital. I had contrast, but I'm wondering whether it's possible to overlook if it it's really small, say like 2mm. I'm not sure where I read this, but there was a poster who said he had FOUR MRIs before they found his AN ....

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2010, 11:04:01 am »
Mel -

ANs are notorious for being misdiagnosed, but usually by the time someone has a MRI - often one of the last steps - it's evident.

IMO even if you have a very small AN, a MRI - no matter where it's done - should detect it.

Lots of people have tinnitus without any reason given for it and sensori-neural hearing loss can be attributed to many things other than ANs.

I hope you get some answers soon,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mel07

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 03:44:29 pm »
Thank you all so much! I will come back and let you know what it is - at the moment, it's "idiopathic", which of course is a fancy way of saying "I dunno".

x