Author Topic: When to remove platinum weight?  (Read 7567 times)

micca82

When to remove platinum weight?
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:03:57 pm »
Hi,

I had my monster AN removed exactly 4weeks ago and woke up with facial paralysis on my AN side.

I think (and I asked my family who had seen me right after the surgery) i was able to close my AN side eye after the surgery but the ENT who was part of my surgery team had me get platinum eyelid weight the day after the surgery. I didn't really understand thus at the time because I thought I was able to close my eye (maybe i was not able to close completely? I don't know.) but I figured the doctors know what's best for me.

So I still have this eyelid weight and I wonder when I would/should have it removed. I'm thinking, 'how am I going to tell when I can close my eye on my own or not if I have the weight?' but of course, I don't want to just remove it just to test this out as I am scared of any damage to my cornea.

Any advice?

Thank you and God bless everyone.

MRI found 5.1cm AN on left on 3/18/11: age of 28
Surgery 4/5/11 with dr.Tamargo and dr. Francis. @ johns Hopkins
Whole tumor removed, facial nerves in tact, but unresponsive
Platinum eyelid weight on 4/6
Left facial paralysis, numbness, double vision

God is the Healer

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: When to remove platinum weight?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:57:38 pm »
I'm not a doctor, and I didn't have an eye weight, but my best advice is follow the advice of your doctor.

Chances are very good he'll know when to remove the weight.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TP

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 05:02:23 am »
I had my eye weight in for 15 months, they wanted to wait that long to make sure my eye lid closed tightly. I still have to use eye drops daily since my eye does dry out but I think that has more to do with my facial paralysis on my AN side. FYI...I had a gold weight and when it was removed I made a piece of jewelry out of it.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:20:43 pm »
My eye guy told me that I would want my weight taken out long before he would allow it. I've had it almost three years and it does not bother me, so I am happy to leave it there. I know i am not blinking all the way on my own yet anyway. I see him for a follow-up next month, so we'll see what he has to say then.

Is the weight causing your eyelid to droop?
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 07:37:16 pm »
I had mine put in just a few days after surgery. My husband said I had a choice, but I really wasn't totally with it to remember. It's been nearly 6 years now and it's still there. I'm not sure if it needs to be there or not. But as my family reminded me, the price of gold is really high now.  Maybe I should have it taken out and sell it.  :o

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

moe

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:25:09 pm »
Good question!
you're still pretty fresh post op, so time will tell. I have no choice. My eye doesn't blink, so the gold weight will be with me 4ever :P
Hopefully you can get it taken out later, but it is a good protection for the cornea, until you are able to blink better ;)Maureen ;)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

micca82

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 07:15:58 am »
Thanks for all the replies.

The weight doesn't make my eyelid droop. I just threw the question out there for an advice.

I think I feel some pressure on my eye where the weight was inserted and I'm still getting used to it

My AN side eye doesn't look straight forward and won't move to left when I try to look left. My double vision is pretty bad.
I don't think eyelid weight contributes to double vision (or does it?)

As always, thank you all for your kind replies.
MRI found 5.1cm AN on left on 3/18/11: age of 28
Surgery 4/5/11 with dr.Tamargo and dr. Francis. @ johns Hopkins
Whole tumor removed, facial nerves in tact, but unresponsive
Platinum eyelid weight on 4/6
Left facial paralysis, numbness, double vision

God is the Healer

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:10:58 am »
I have had eye weights off and on for several year now...didn't get my first one until I was seven years out!  At first, they had to keep tweaking it because the weight wasn't right (even though we had tried external to get that) and then when I had the T3, I changed to a platinum chain - supposed to be less noticeable.  However, it slipped and I had to have it removed.  While it is a VERY SIMPLE procedure to get/change/remove eye weights, I personally would encourage you to NOT mess with it until you are very sure you need to.  That skin is just so delicate and really just can't withstand a whole lot of "messing with"!!  ;)  Like everyone has said, you are in the very first stages of this journey...slow and steady wins the race!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 07:58:06 am »

My AN side eye doesn't look straight forward and won't move to left when I try to look left. My double vision is pretty bad.
I don't think eyelid weight contributes to double vision (or does it?)

The eye issues you are describing are probably post op related and not from the gold weight, but good question for your doctor!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty