Author Topic: Haven't been here for a long time!  (Read 3316 times)

DLM4me

Haven't been here for a long time!
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:45:59 pm »
My vision degraded so badly post-op that I gave up trying to access these forums--or anything else, for that matter. So it's been quite a long time since I was last here. Just thought I'd pop in now and see what's going on, now that I can finally see again! :)

I had middle fossa craniotomy surgery on 04/08/09, at St Vincent--the hospital I was born in!--in Los Angeles. The great Dr Derald Brackmann was my lead surgeon, and I just can't say enough about him or the team he put together. They were amazing.

I'm still struggling with a number of AN-related issues, such as balance problems, headaches, vision issues [though they're MUCH less awful than before], treatment-resistant hypertension, and so on, but I'm glad to be alive, all things considered.

Well, there you go. That's my story in a nutshell.  ;D

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Haven't been here for a long time!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:53:44 pm »
Hi, Grace ~

It's been almost two years - but who's counting?  ;)   I'm sorry to learn of your post-op problems but glad that you've returned.  I hope you'll be back more often.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

DLM4me

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 04:05:08 pm »
Thanks, Jim. One thing led to another and somehow I just stayed away, even after my vision improved enough that I could've come back. Oh well. :)

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

It is what it is

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:57:28 pm »
I'm a newbie and appreciate your return as well.  You have important things to share due to your experience. sorry to hear about the complications post-op. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

DLM4me

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:33 pm »
Hi Karen, and thanks.

I think what continues to surprise me the most is that although the tumor is long gone, my AN is still very much a part of my life. It and its removal were milestone moments in my life, and although I felt very informed prior to surgery, I've found out since that you really can't KNOW for sure how things are going to play out. For example, I never really thought that three years later I'd still have some facial paralysis, but I do--and the docs say that's not going to improve any further. But, again, all things considered, I'm glad to be alive and functioning, even with the ongoing issues.

I also realize that everyone's recovery is different. I'm always amazed--and sincerely HAPPY for them--when I hear about someone who had an AN removed and quickly and fully recovered, with no lasting issues. It just doesn't work that way for all of us!

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:59:18 pm »
Your story helps me to not have unrealistic expectations.  Until they get in there, how could they really know what they will find and then it's probably a guess as to how much of the post-op symptoms will fully recover. I'm glad you are alive and sad you still have challenges.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Chances3

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:12:09 am »
Hi Grace,

I had a Middle Fossa in Oct. 2010 - my tumor was small but I was suffering from severe and frequent vertigo attacks, the full spin variety.  I didn't spend a whole lot of time in WW, I booked surgery 1 month after my MRI.  I still have nasty vertigo attacks, so I'm frustrated by the chance I took to rid myself of that, but I'm glad the tumor is gone.  It's been a very long and hard road for me, and you are 100 percent correct when you say no two recoveries are the same.  Someone posted here that a AN is like a snowflake, no two are alike.  I'm happy to hear that you are recovering, I went through the bitter and angry phase.  This taught me a life lesson, and I accept what's going on in my head, although I try everyday to get better.  Keep up the fight.