Author Topic: Headaches associated with the weather?  (Read 8005 times)

kaitysmom

Headaches associated with the weather?
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:02:41 pm »
Just wondering if anyone else gets headaches when the weather changes?  I'm five months post surgery and now that the weather is changing I'm suffering from extreme pain resulting in awful headaches.  I'm taking Advil like it's candy.  I've called the doctor but haven't hot ten a return call.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jody

Mickey

Re: Headaches associated with the weather?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 08:21:06 pm »
Hi Jody! Weather changes definately has alot to do with headachs. Many people experience these weather related problems without having any other real health problem. Most the people in my age category (62) can tell you when a weather change is happening. I guess having a AN my enhance the problem with the sensitivity going on post opp. Best wishes, Mickey

kathleenanna

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:43:01 am »
Absolutely for me!  I have noticed that my head gets wonky and headaches start the day before any changes in the weather.....especially rain.    I have noticed this for about  4 months now....I am 7 months post op.   My neurologist recommeded that I take Alleve. So we'll see if that works.  Good luck!    Kathleen Anna
translab on Sept 15, 2010 at Univ of Penn
2cm AN on left side
ssd
some balance issues

kaitysmom

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:22:32 am »
Thank you both for responding. Islept well last night and darn if I didn't wake up with one.  Not pain where I'm holding my head but enough to take Advil.  I sure hope it doesn't last forever. 

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:20:54 pm »
Jody ......

Almost hate to tell you this, but I have had what I call "barometric pressure headaches" all of my adult life ..... totally unrelated to my AN.  In fact, I had no headaches post-op from the AN removal, but I continue to have the same weather-related ones.  Usually solved those days with some Extra Strength Tylenol.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

nftwoed

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 01:01:15 pm »
Hi;

"I'm taking Advil like it's candy", could be helping cause your HA because of rebound effect.
  Yah; I'm getting HAs also. They usually begin with a migraine aura, then the pain. I take 1000 mg. as few times as possible of Tylenol. That usually does the trick for me, but, we are all so, so individual in our responses.
  Best wishes Jody.

Just wondering if anyone else gets headaches when the weather changes?  I'm five months post surgery and now that the weather is changing I'm suffering from extreme pain resulting in awful headaches.  I'm taking Advil like it's candy.  I've called the doctor but haven't hot ten a return call.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jody

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:53:28 pm »
Yep, just like Clarice said above "barometric pressure headaches".   

I originally thought I got them and you had to have brain surgery to get them.  BUT, I had read some of my facebook friends commenting about weather changes and headaches.  Well, none of them had any type of surgery, so then I was confused.   I guess for me they just didn't start until AFTER my surgery.      Now I have been at a headache (head & neck pain) institute and during a seminar they mentioned barometric changes causing headaches.   SO, we are not alone.

For me, I am now 17 months post op and 'those' weather headaches are much less. 
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

lori67

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:20:21 pm »
I've been getting weather headaches for as long as I can remember.  I think my weather predictions are more accurate than the guy on the news because I always get a headache a day or so before it starts to rain.

Fortunately, it's nothing that can't be handled with just regular tylenol.

I guess we all just need to move somewhere where it doesn't rain!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

kaitysmom

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:29:24 pm »
Wow!  I had no idea so many suffer from these.  Pre surgery I never had a headache.  Now, I feel lime the only time I don't is when I sleep.

Ibuprophen is my friend that's for sure.  I definitely need a place where there's little rain.   :)

Thank you all for responding.

Jody