Author Topic: 4 weeks post op !  (Read 3511 times)

pmcollings

4 weeks post op !
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:44:47 pm »
Just a little update.  I am 4 weeks post op / translab.  I am really starting to feel so much better that I think I am back to normal but then...........lol.  Well I guess you post -op'ers know how that goes.  I did so much today, had so much energy.  Raked up the never ending leaves that keep falling on my side yard, did some laundry, organized my pantry.  Got dressed, put on MAKEUP, did my hair and then went grocery shopping.  Lol... the grocery shopping was not that much fun.  Needless to say I did make it home in one piece. 
Question for any post-opers out there.  I am having bad headaches, I do take hydrocodone when this happens and it does help but I'm afraid to become addicted to it so I try not to.   Am I being overly cautious or is my body still trying to tell me I need it ?  I suppose everyone is different.  I still have paralysis on right side.  Doctor gave me a 3 instead of a 4 and expects full recovery but my eye is giving me problems.  I start work next Monday.  I do work from home and will be doing it part time to see how it goes but am a bit worried about staring at that computer screen for any extended amount of time.  Any thoughts on this ?  Thank you all for your support - what a wonderful forum.    ~~~~~~~~~`   Pam
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm
Translabsurgery  10/30/12. 
50 % hearing loss before op.  Total hearing loss after.  Partial facial paralysis
Surgeons - Dr Craig Kemper and Dr. James Kemper. Austin, texas

millie

Re: 4 weeks post op !
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:38:42 pm »
Pam...I admire your progress!  I had trans-lab October 17th and have not ventured forth into the  sea of leaves-and I am not yet driving-but I have started to cook a bit more and put on makeup and shop on the computer for holiday gifts.....About the computer....at first, I really had a hard time focusing...I had/have facial droop on the left side, and the eye doesn't blink as well on that side, but I am getting bettter and I see improvement.  I believe long periods at the computer irritate my eyes...but as I said, I am much better than I was.
Keep up the good work.
Mil

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 06:21:39 pm »
Sounds like you are recovering well. But recovery often takes time. Be sure to allow time for periodic rest. Nothing can cause set backs more than doing too much before you are ready. A gradual approach is best. Recovery isn't a race. it is a process. At least that is my experience.
Many AN sites refer to survivor euphoria, meaning the feeling that comes from relief that the surgery is over and patients at first feel better than they really are. Listen to your body. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

millie

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:43 am »
I am taking it slowly, don't worry about that!  I  do sort of pick and choose what I do each day...thanks for your advice...Mil

susierg

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:05 am »
Hi Pam,
I had middle fossa 7/24 and didnt return to work until 8 weeks after.  I felt I was getting better slowly until I returned to work.  I too sit at a computer all day and the second week after returnin to work, part time (4-5 hours/day) I began to regress.  Don't know if it has anything to do with staring at the computer screen all day or just not taking breaks, etc., but I am still on half days over 4 months post-op.  I do feel I'm starting to make improvements again.  I do my vestibular exercises daily, have taken a yoga class, and just recently started acupuncture.  Not sure if all these things are helping or if it's just finally time for "normal" to come back.  In any case, I have learned that rest and patience (which is very hard for me) have helped tremendously.  Good luck and hope your recovery continues.

Susie
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.

Chances3

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:47:22 am »
Hi Pam,

I had middle fossa 2 years ago.  I sit in front of three large screens and look at numbers 8-10 hours a day.  By the end of the week, I am wonky !!   Get away from the screen for short periods of time or your brain is going to adjust to one environment.  Do vestibular exercises and take some walks.  Not sure about head aches, but I hear stress can cause them to.  Keep pushing yourself.

All the best,

Bob

pmcollings

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »
Thank you all for the input - Yes I need the rest.  I think I'm OK then I'm not.  I did start rehab yesterday and that was quite interesting.  All the balance and facial exercises.  It gave me hope but it is HARD.  This lopsided face of mine will take some time to retrain I suppose. 
Regarding the leaves-- I only did tiny side yard.  The front is just full of them but I don't care - lol.  Hopefully my neighbors don't either.  I'm going to take a big hint from my lazy sleeping dogs and take a nap.  ~~~~~~~` Pam
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm
Translabsurgery  10/30/12. 
50 % hearing loss before op.  Total hearing loss after.  Partial facial paralysis
Surgeons - Dr Craig Kemper and Dr. James Kemper. Austin, texas