Author Topic: BAHA programming/feedback concerns...  (Read 2115 times)

mellowrama

BAHA programming/feedback concerns...
« on: November 03, 2009, 12:53:22 pm »
Hello all,
I'm scheduled for BAHA surgery next wednesday out of state, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned about followup issues related to feedback, programming etc.  Since my initial consultation for a BAHA, I've read many people voice issues with teh bp100, and I don't know if I have problems would that mean travel again to another state?

I can possibily get it down in Albuquerque (not OKC) and be much closer for followups, however I already have everything arranged and had a consultation with a DR. in OKC that I liked very much....

thanks, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA programming/feedback concerns...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:27:20 pm »
I've only heard a couple of people voice issues with the new BP100, but it's mostly just the "bugs" being worked out.  Afterall, it is a new product.

Lisa (sefra22) just posted a very positive update of her meeting with a rep from Cochlear who seems to have helped her immensely.  Mike (mikjul1) initially had issues, but he hasn't posted in a while, so it's hard to tell if he's still having them.

I've been asked by my neurotologist to demo both the BP100 and the new Ponto Pro from Oticon and give him my impressions of each one.  I think I'm scheduled for the week of 11/23.  I can't wait to try the new technology.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 07:31:29 pm »
Please let us know how the demonstrations go- there are many of us who are interested and want to have more information regarding the new technologies that are out there. Good luck! :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:42:14 am »
ombrerose -

I will definitely provide feedback on the two devices, but regardless of the programming problems with the BP100, I still recommend the BAHA to anyone who is SSD.  Hands down, it's one of the best things I've done since my AN surgery.

Some people adjust to being SSD, but I did not (I truly hated every minute of it) and being only 45 1/2 at the time I knew I didn't want to spend the rest of my life being miserable and saying "WHAT???"

The BAHA is not for everyone, some prefer the TransEar, but it definitely was the solution for me.  From the moment I tried the demo, I was sold and I can't imagine living life without it.

So if you think the BAHA is for you, I highly recommend trying the demo.  If you decide you want the surgery; schedule it.  Most docs make you wait 90 days before you can wear the device, and by that time the bugs in the BP100 should be corrected and any problems that the Ponto has will be well on their way to being worked out. 

Life is short.  If there is something that will help you hear better, I say, go for it!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways