Author Topic: Debbi Bifulco Update  (Read 113639 times)

Kaybo

Re: Debbi Bifulco Update
« Reply #225 on: May 20, 2008, 06:25:43 am »
note on other post...
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Mama R

« Reply #226 on: May 20, 2008, 07:26:44 am »
Oh, Deb....Not again, Just can't seem to stay away from that place ( I know u just want another bonnet!)
Hang in there and keep us posted.
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

cindyj

« Reply #227 on: May 20, 2008, 07:34:03 am »
Sorry, Debbi, but really good that you and your doctor have stayed on top of this.  Will be thinking of you and your family and wishing for a quick and final resolution to this leak thing.

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #228 on: May 20, 2008, 08:25:33 am »
One more update - Dr. Roland told me I could wait at home until they get a bed for me.  He'll admit me today, put me on IV antibiotics; then tomorrow I'll go the OR (probalby not until afternoon) where they will re-open and clean the incision.  They'll culture everything and hopefully I can come home Thursday.  Tonight I'll just hang in the hospital, hooked up to things.  Sigh.

Well, on the bright side, I am going to be a shoe-in for the bonnet contest - this will be my THIRD bonet!!  Lucky me.

Stay tuned...

Debbi - at the bump in the road, and trying to get past it... :P
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #229 on: May 20, 2008, 08:28:13 am »
Debbi~
You WILL get past this...just think, a nice relaxing stay with someone to wait on you...of wait, you have that at home w/ Willie and the parents...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #230 on: May 20, 2008, 08:34:47 am »
Debbi -

don't look at this as a setback.  Just look at it as another thing you have to do to recover.

You'll get through this with the help of your family and your positive attitude.

I'm thinking you deserve at least Honorable Mention in the bonnet contest - if not flat out First Place   8)

Wishing you the best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #231 on: May 20, 2008, 08:37:14 am »
Hi Debbi,

Since you introduced gross into this topic, I thought I would mention that you could be having maggot therapy to clean out your incision. Here is the Wikipedia article, you can also google for more pictures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggot_therapy

Seems that maggots are exceptionally good at cleaning away dead tissue, leaving the living tissue untouched. The only snag is you need an iron stomach, because this is truly gross!

Now you can count one more blessing - you aren't having maggot therapy today.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #232 on: May 20, 2008, 08:41:14 am »
EW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :-X

S-T-E-V-E-N!!!!!!!!!!!  *dopes slap Steve*

New Moderator... go figure... ;)

*runs quick... or as quick as my poor legs will take me!*  ;D

Hi Debbi,

Since you introduced gross into this topic, I thought I would mention that you could be having maggot therapy to clean out your incision. Here is the Wikipedia article, you can also google for more pictures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggot_therapy

Seems that maggots are exceptionally good at cleaning away dead tissue, leaving the living tissue untouched. The only snag is you need an iron stomach, because this is truly gross!

Now you can count one more blessing - you aren't having maggot therapy today.  ;D

Steve
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #233 on: May 20, 2008, 08:57:35 am »
Maggot therapy   ???

GROSS  :o
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

calimama

« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2008, 09:22:41 am »
Debbi,

So here of this set back. Please know we are all with in spirit.

Trish
(less than 2 weeks to go!)
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Catflower

« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2008, 09:58:17 am »
Debi:  Having de ja vu.  When this happened to me I went to ER on Sunday.  They put me on the surgery schedule Monday as a "work in".  It was 8:30 PM before I got to the OR.  On Tuesday they put in the PIC line so I could do my IV antibiotics at home and I came home on Wednesday.  The surgery wasn't bad.  The worst part for me was that they put me on Flagyl to counteract the yeast overgrowth issues associated with antibiotic therapy.  That stuff made me really nauseous the first couple of days, but after than everything was fine.  I had to hook up twice a day to let the antibiotics run and the worst part of that was having to sit still.

Sending positive thoughts and good wishes your way.

Linda in WV

lori67

« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2008, 11:09:41 am »
Steve,

The hospital I worked at used leeches instead of maggots.   :o  I always made sure they were put away wherever you store leeches before I'd go in to see a patient.  But don't worry, Debbi - I think they might use more conventional methods on your head!  But if you see people wading in the Hudson with jars full of leeches on your way to the hospital, I might question the doctor about his plans!   :D

Good luck!  Get better and take it easy!
Lori

Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2008, 12:14:33 pm »
Debbi:

I think you'll do just fine with this relatively minor but necessary procedure.  Fortunately, its a short hospital stay this time.

As for the 'bump in the road' metaphor....try to go around it.   Besides, I suspect that now you'll win the 'bonnet' competition by default.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #238 on: May 20, 2008, 12:25:02 pm »
Hi Debbi,

Good thoughts are being sent from AZ.

I hope they have discovered instead of maggots or leeches they now use rose petals!

Really though, I hope it is a minor glitch and you will be released quickly.

Hang in there!

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

cmp

« Reply #239 on: May 20, 2008, 01:03:44 pm »
Sorry to hear you must spend some additional time in the hospital, Debbi--glad that the problem was caught before the infection caused a fever, though, and that your stay this time will be a very brief one. Healing thoughts being sent your way; hope you'll be comfortably back at home before you know it!

:)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:24:40 pm by cmp »
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!