Author Topic: I got my BP100!  (Read 2210 times)

Jeepers

I got my BP100!
« on: February 24, 2010, 06:10:00 am »
Yep! Yesterday was my gotcha day.  :) I'm very anxious to see how things go at work today. I wore it home and last night around the house, but (rats) I had no conversation to determine how it works in that kind of situation.

I do have a question ... while watching tv, I would plug up my good ear to see how much sound the processor provided by itself. I realize I should not expect perfect sound - and the point is not to plug up my good ear  ;)  but since the sound was so faint, I started increasing the volume and found it better than the default. Part of the plugging up the ear experiment was to see how well I'd hear with a phone on my good ear, which is a huge on-the-job frustration.

I think the real test will be at work today - but I'd appreciate any info/tips youse guys have regarding volume and hearing expectations.

Thanks!
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

Sefra22

Re: I got my BP100!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:43:47 am »
Congratulations! I've had my BP100 since September, and I STILL do that ear plugging thing! I do it just because I'm amazed at the technology, and sometimes I hear things that I wouldn't normally hear with both ears open.

If you are unhappy with the volume, I highly recommend having your audiologist program it higher for you. Basically, you want to just be able to put it on already set to your preferences. I rarely make any adjustments.

Keep plugging that ear-it's fun!
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:49:15 am »
Congratulations, Joyce!  ;D

I can't give you any tips because I don't have my BP100 yet (it's still on backorder  :'( )

For some reason I always wear my Divino on the highest volume, which is #3, but that's just me and what works in my case.

I plug my good ear all the time just to see how amazing my BAHA is, which sounds kind of strange, I know  ::)

I guess it's just because I've worn it for so long now.  Every once in a while when I'm sitting in the drive thru at the bank listening to the car radio I'll stick my finger in my ear just to remind myself of how great the BAHA works.

I know, I need to get a life  :D

Please keep us updated; I'm anxious to see how you like the BP100.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:06:49 am »
Its fun plugging up the good ear to see how well the BAHA works..In my wa of thinking, by plugging up my good ear, I'm training the brain in learning the new method of hearing...I do believe it is working!!! 
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jeepers

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:06:08 am »
Jan ... Any reason why you didn't have the programming adjusted? Kathleen the audiologist told me that if I found myself readjusting the volume, they could reset the program.

I started with the default, but soon cranked the volume to the max for the remainder of the day. No doubt about it - I certainly noticed more conversation than usual ... people saying things as I walked away, etc. (hah! no more muttering under your breath to me!!  ;D)

Technical-type question ... it was explained that sound is being picked up from my good ear. I know it's probably not an absolute seal, but I can pinch my good ear shut pretty tightly. How, then, is the sound still getting picked up by my good ear?
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 06:19:14 am »
Jeepers, it's because the bones of the skull conduct the sound around to the inner ear on the opposite sound. You can tell it's the BAHA working because you block out the sound coming through your good ear and hear what's being conducted.

Anyone remember the "Bone Phone" from years ago? It was a radio that was worn around the neck. The sound couldn't be heard by those around but could be by the person wearing it because of conducted sound waves.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13