Author Topic: One Year Post Op Update: A Marathon of Sorts  (Read 2176 times)

wiscyrunner

One Year Post Op Update: A Marathon of Sorts
« on: May 21, 2014, 12:53:53 pm »
Hard to believe it was a year ago I was in the good hands of the skilled surgeons at Mayo.  I just want to share some of the positive aspects of life post op that I've experienced.  While life post AN is not all rosy & wonderful I am so appreciative of where I am today & try to  stay focused on what I can do, not what was taken from me.  Being a runner,  I approached my surgery as I would a race, I needed to train for it & be in the best physical shape possible.  I was diagnosed in Jan.  & had surgery in May, that allowed me several months to "train" for life post op although I had no idea what that would entail.   Not just physical preparation but mental preparation.   
The tumor  damaged the cochlear & vestibular nerve on the left side & stretched the facial nerve leaving weakness that I still deal with but see improvements each month. My balance came back quite quickly & I was biking & running quite soon afterwards, probably too quickly for my surgeons but I assured them I was careful.      I've found that not hearing on one side isn't that bad, my husband & I have some very interesting conversations.

Since surgery my life has resumed it's normal active pace.  I bike, I play tennis, I went downhill skiing in CO which was challenging but a doable & a blast.  On Sunday I ran a marathon & qualified for Boston, what better way to one up the AN.

While I understand that not everyone who goes through this  comes fro the same background I do want to convey the message of staying positive through whatever  gets tossed your way.  If there is one thing I learned from spending a week at Mayo,  while I don't take what I went through lightly, seeing  so many patients & their families who had far more serious issues to contend with made me very thankful that I would be going home, I can't say the same for others there.    I'm not saying you need to run a marathon post op but  try to stay positive & active.  There's much to be said about the powerful effects of endorphins. 
Many thanks to the good people on the ANA  forum for their information & insight.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: One Year Post Op Update: A Marathon of Sorts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:06:50 pm »
Congrats on your BQ and your attitude!

I hope you continue to do well.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

wintersmd

Re: One Year Post Op Update: A Marathon of Sorts
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:23:35 pm »
Congrats on your qualification for Boston.  Like you, I am a runner and triathlete and enjoy the thrill of workouts.  I complete the Madison Ironman in Sept 2012, and in June 2013 underwent surgery to remove my tumor at Mayo.  I will agree with you that keeping a positive attitude is a must.  My recovery has been nothing short of challenging, but I am now starting to run again.  I had severe balance issues and the "wonky head" feeling daily.  I started vestibular rehab about 3 months ago, and now getting to the point where I can run short distances. My goal is to run a half marathon buy Oct, and start competing in triathlons next year.  Either way I am alive, can live each day to the fullest, and take time to enjoy the little things in life.  God blessed me with this tumor as a way to put my priorities back in line and enjoy each day.  Thanks for the encouraging post Wiscyrunner, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. 

Mike