Author Topic: Post op brain swelling  (Read 2311 times)

wonderactivist

• 1" AN diagnosed 4/2013, translab SG 5/2013
    • Reverse Perspective (page about AN experience)
Post op brain swelling
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:54:26 pm »
Hello,

Intro: Since I'm brand new, I first want to thank y'all for having this forum and for sharing your experiences. You've been a huge support already. I was diagnosed in April with a 20mm AN, had lost 100% hearing in my left ear and had translab- surgery May 10 which successfully preserved my facial nerve. 

My question:  Since the surgery, my brain sometimes feels like it is swelling in th areas of the surgery (left temple and behind the left ear).  It can be quite painful, especially when I have been very active.  I asked the doc and he said that this would probably continue, at least for a while, but that it won't actually harm my brain or anything, just cause discomfort.  Anyone have ideas on alternative methods for treating this? 

I have narcotics the doc prescribed, but don't take them, and I tend to take ibuprofen when it gets bad, but was hoping for something more like cranial sacral therapy?  Any experience there? 
1" AN diagnosed 4/2013, translab SG  5/2013

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Post op brain swelling
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:55:05 am »
You just had the surgery a month ago, and it hurts most when you have "been very active"...my advice-slow down a little, and follow the doctor's advice.

James

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 02:23:50 pm »
Wonderactivist ~

I concur with your doctor (he'd be pleased to know that, I'm sure  ;)) that the discomfort at your surgery site is normal and will linger for some time.

I'm a full seven years past my (Retrosigmoid) AN surgery and still feel an occasional 'ache' in my mastoid bone.  Fortunately, one 200 mg Ibuprofen pill alleviates the discomfort.  You might try taking two and/or, as james e suggested, try to slow down your activities for awhile.  AN surgery is considered a major trauma to your body and while recovery times vary widely, the first few months are generally not the best time to go back into high gear.  In short, pace yourself.     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wonderactivist

• 1" AN diagnosed 4/2013, translab SG 5/2013
    • Reverse Perspective (page about AN experience)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:43:54 pm »
Thanks so much, Jim and James.  I did take it easier today and the swelling lessened though it s still there.  I will continue to go slow though it s hard as I feel like my life is passing my by.  I'm sure you can relate having been through it.  ~Lucie
1" AN diagnosed 4/2013, translab SG  5/2013