Author Topic: Hello Again! Two Weeks Post-Op!  (Read 2686 times)

beachmommy

Hello Again! Two Weeks Post-Op!
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:11:16 am »
This week's report is that I am well enough to be left home alone! Yesterday and today my husband went in to his office instead of working from the house. ~ My PT did not have any appointment time today, which also means I do not have therapy again until Friday, so I am going to go for a walk in town with a friend later, just to get out because the weather is beautiful. I'm feeling thankful for the break.

On Monday in PT, I was introduced to the balance disk, an innocuously cute looking thing that left me feeling as if I had no knees after standing on it for a mere five minutes. Everything that I am experiencing is so fascinating from an academic standpoint, that it was sort of cool to marvel at those knee-less few minutes.

I jogged a short distance and jumped up and down yesterday, just because I could, although I scared my husband half to death.

I am doing semi ok looking forward and side lunges, (They are not as deep or as steady as I want them to be, but they are passable) along with awkward backwards lunges, and I am doing 30 each crunches, bridges, and several pilates moves to strengthen my leg muscles and get those neurons firing. I am hoping to work up to a morning set of 30 and an evening set of 30, but for now it is a challenge just to work in the balance work, without it consuming all of my waking time/energy.

Interestingly, my PT told me to avoid full sit ups for a bit until I get the all clear from Dr. K. because she didn't want to take a chance in straining anything in my neck/head yet, and she also wants to make sure my wobbly head won't cause my spine to roll around and cause sheering and lower back problems. ~ Smart lady, I had not thought of those possibilities.

The ocular exercises are very easy, so I don't have to do very many of those any more. I find that I don't get eye strain when in a moving car, and I can watch television now, even some of the spinning types of camera work that used to induce vertigo before the surgery.

I still have trouble tolerating action-y high speed film cutting techniques with lots of rapid changes between light and dark, but I can actually watch a half an hour of television without any strain or fatigue. 

I can stand heel to toe for more than 30 seconds on my weaker side, and more than a minute on my better side, and that is well above the normal range. ~ I can do it with my eyes closed!!! ~ This is really exciting stuff, because before the surgery on a great day with seemingly no balance issues, I could not do this.

I find that I am also getting around fine in the dark, although this does not make my PT happy and she sent me home with a sheet of safety tips. I am also beginning to be able sense that I recover from transitions from full light to full darkness a little quicker and without the fear inducing sensation that used to produce just post operatively. 

The various head turning walks that the PT has me practicing are getting easier and more natural looking, so despite my humbling initiation on the balance disk, my therapist is very happy with my progress to date. She said she expects a full recovery. :D I am not sure what she means by that... but I am thinking Kripalu next summer for some serious yoga and kayaking might just be on the horizon. She promised to have me walking on beach sand this summer, and I am going to hold us both to that promise, so the balance disk and I are going to be rather chummy I think.

I can 'almost' sit down on the floor from standing, without having to spot myself with my hands. I am still wobbly and thus I still use my hands, but getting all the way down and all the way back up from all the way down is now something that I can do!

I am less sensitive to bending, although I still avoid full bends... I can do a good 'lean' and not get headaches, so that is good for the moment. I have also returned to my childhood ballet moves and have become quite fond of the grand plie. Excellent for getting at the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. ;)

I can walk on grass, although it still feels a little like the surface of the moon, and I can walk on inclines, although without a handrail, I tend to pick up speed on the descent. On a recent trip down my sloped lawn my son said, 'Mom, are you running?' I took Buzz Lightyear's old line and said 'No love, I am falling with style!' ~ I stayed upright and was able to correct once on flatter ground, but the fine tuning still needs work, so I still keep someone close by, just in case.

I folded laundry yesterday which made me feel better, too, and the spring itself seems to be making me feel stronger and better every day. So all of you who are facing surgery soon, fear not! Life is good as a postie!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 12:19:23 pm by beachmommy »

kenneth_k

Re: Hello Again! Two Weeks Post-Op!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:24:44 am »
My day was grey, but then I read your post :)
Now the sun is shining again.

Kenneth

moe

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:09:39 am »
Very nice progress report!

Pretty good for two weeks post op. Keep it up, slow, and gentle. Be prepared for "good" days, and then "not so good" days, from overdoing the "good" days. :D
Listen to your body, it'll tell you if you are overdoing it.
I bet it felt good to go to town and get out of the house!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:47:00 am »
Very nice. Enjoy your recovery!

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:17:40 pm »
Plus you are beyond what many are at, at 2 weeks.     Just getting out to the hard areas are what many just do and not do any vestibular therapy.       It will get better in time.                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:07:48 pm »
It always makes me smile to read posts like yours.  Good for you on having such a great attitude!  Keep putting one food in front of the other (metaphorically as well as physically!) and you'll be fine.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 01:29:50 pm »
Keep up the good work and wonderful attitude.  You're having a great recovery; just don't overdo it and get overtired.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 01:33:42 pm »
Beachmommy~

I read your detailed post with interest and admiration for your rapid progress.  As has been previously noted, your recovery at 2 weeks post-op is exemplary. Kudos to you!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.