Author Topic: softspot  (Read 1975 times)

sonya

softspot
« on: June 10, 2006, 06:08:31 pm »
 I was just wondering if when they operate dont they replace the skull fragment and it will heal like if you break an arm or all left with soft spot

Kathleen_Mc

Re: softspot
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 07:23:05 pm »
Sonya: The first time I had the AN removed there was no replacement of the bone and I don't think they ever do as bone won't flex well to allow for swelling etc (I could be wrong on that just my way of thinking) they do however plug the hole with fat taken from elsewhere in the body and my second "wack at the bat" they took fat from my thigh and put it in. I still have "soft spots" from the first surgery however they have closed some.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 08:15:32 pm »
I had retro done last august and they replaced the bone they took out with the same bone.  I can tell my head is shaped different than it used to be but no soft spots.

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 08:35:49 pm »
I had my hole fitted with titanium mesh and then bone cement put on it.  Can't feel any soft spot at all.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 06:03:08 am »
battyprincess: Wow they can put it back! I didn't know that they did. Makes me wonder why they didn't for me with my first surgery.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 06:21:59 am »
  If you look at your surgical report, and it mentions Cranioplasty, that's the repair of the hole created for access to the tumor.
Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW