Author Topic: Achy legs after surgery  (Read 50473 times)

gclark

Achy legs after surgery
« on: February 19, 2008, 04:25:30 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I had translab 4 weeks ago. I was one of those lucky people who had a CSF leak so I had a spinal tap for 5 days.  The leak is gone and my recovery started about a week late.  Both of my legs are very achy all day & night.  Has anyone experienced this?  Contacted my dr, he suggested potassium.  Hasn't helped.  Should I be worried about blood clots?  Should I see a regular dr?  Do you think this could have anything to do with the surgery?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
gclark

FAITH40

Re: Achy legs after surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:04:52 pm »
GCLARK,

HI, MY LEFT LEG HURT FOR A COUPLE WEEKS POST OP, BUT IT WAS BECAUSE I WAS ON MY LEFT SIDE FOR 16 HRS!! WHEN I CAME OUT OF SURGERY I WAS IN SO MUCH PAIN WITH MY LEG THAT I NEVER EVEN KNEW I HAD BRAIN SURGERY!! ;)

IT WENT AWAY THOUGH WITH THE POTASSIUM.... MAYBE YOU SHOULD SEE YOUR DR. SO HE CAN DO A BLOOD TEST AND CHECK YOUR D DIMER LEVELS.. I THINK THATS WHAT TELLS THEM  RATHER THERE IS A CLOT SOMEWHERE OR NOT. MAYBE IT IS JUST THE STRESS OF THE SURGERY AND THE TOLL IT CAN TAKE ON YOUR BODY.... I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON!!

GOOD LUCK!

TAMMI ;)
2.8 CM AN NASHVILLE,TN. DR. REID THOMPSON AND DR. DAVID HAYNES REMOVED DEC. 4TH- 07 TRANSLAB - 16 1/2 HOUR SURGERY - STRETCHED FACIAL NERVE- FACIAL PARALYSIS (HEALING) 100% HEARING LOSS (AN SIDE)
4 DAY HOSPITAL STAY ! DOING GREAT!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:22:55 pm »
Hi g:   Are you getting enough movement? or are your legs stationary alot?   If it were a clot somewhere in your leg, you'd be having quite a bit of
swelling below the area....   Have you tried some GENTLE stretching?

I always feel - if you're real worried,  call the doc again - it's worth the piece of mind...

Continued healing, always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

OMG16

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:53:45 pm »
I would go see you primary care Dr and have them order a doppler on both legs.  That is the only way you can know for sure.  You are at increased risk due to your CSF leak and needing to lay flat for an extended time.  It maybe nothing but I would feel better if you did rule this out.  Please let us know what happens.  Kisses to your forehead.  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:34:04 pm »
G-

You have raised the question of blood clots. 

While you were in the hospital, did they keep those balloons around your legs that keep your blood circulating?  They wrap around your legs and fill with air and deplete it over and over again. I am sure there is a more formidable name for these leg pumps.

Did you see your doctor when he told you about the potassium? 

When you say achy, do you mean flu-like?  Is it a specific location in your legs or all over?
Here is a link I found: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/blood_clot_in_the_legs/article_em.htm
From the site:
Symptoms occur in the affected leg when a clot obstructs blood flow and causes inflammation. Symptoms may include the following: 

Swelling

Gradual onset of pain

Redness

Warm to touch

Worsening leg pain when bending the foot

Leg cramps, especially at night

Bluish or whitish discoloration of skin

As suggested already, a quick dopplar test can identify blood clots.

Kindest regards,
Kate
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:54:12 pm by Kate Besserman »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:36:54 pm »
G -

as none of us are doctors, I think your best bet would be to consult with yours.

It could be anything - and it may or may not be related to your AN surgery.

Don't take any chances speculating, if it's something that's bothering you please ask your doctor to check it out.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

gclark

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 06:19:48 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I'll call my primary dr. tomorrow to make an appt.  Yes. I did have those blow-up things on my legs in the hospital.  I'll let you know what the doc says.  Thanks again.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:34:04 am »
Thanks everyone.  I'll call my primary dr. tomorrow to make an appt.  Yes. I did have those blow-up things on my legs in the hospital.  I'll let you know what the doc says.  Thanks again.

G-

Any updates?  Just checking in on ya.

Kindest Regards,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

gclark

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 04:42:43 pm »
Thanks for checking on me, Kate.  Had a sonogram, no blood clots.  Blood test to check potassium & magnesium levels...both fine.  Tomorrow, I'm going for another blood test to see about fifth disease because I believe my 9 year old may have had it and it shows up in adults as achiness in the joints.  My pains don't seem to be in my joints, but we'll see.  I am so sick of me...I want everything to not be about me anymore.  It's almost 6 weeks post-op.

Don

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 03:16:11 pm »
 Those leg cuff things drove me nuts at first when I came to I thought my cat was in bed with me? I made em take em off me and would ring em to have a trapeze installed over my bed so I could pull myself up and push my legs etc., my wife said when I was in my 6 week coma they had me hanging in some sort of harness thingy to prevent bed sores they now have a bar like trapeze that slides under your bed that allows you to pull yourself up etc. I liked it. I think they should show patients all the options available for those of us who want to get independent asap as I didnt start getting better till my Son had me moved from the silly Re-Hab to a nursing home where I had a fantastic nurse who listened and would get me the equipment I needed for example a booster seat for the toilet and a shower chair for the shower so she didnt have to tend to these duties?  If they get you dependant on them they can charge more this is the nature of their game how many of you got to  try the shampoo in a cap thing for your hair? That to me was the pits  they are now too lazy to bring you to a sink and wash your hair? And I wonder what those things cost? Doo Doo bags, urine tubes and tube feeding are all big money makers for them and they get to bill you more for Bio hazard removal?

1wareagle

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 06:32:58 pm »
g,
     Sorry it took so long for me to respond to your post but I just saw it.  My legs hurt for months after my surgery and still do from time to time. Two weeks after surgery I could barely pick my legs up enough to get up on the curb. The Dr. said that my surgery was very bloody and that the blood had drained into my spinal fluid which settled in my lower back. When I sat in a tub of water I could not straighten out my legs to get them wet. The top of my feet were very sensitive too. It was hard to wear tight shoes across my instep because it would hurt so bad. As the months have passed by it has gradually got back to normal. I hope this helps you!

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 09:04:41 am »
I have had pain in left leg for years ...ankle to hip... after surgery both hurt for several weeks
and it was attributed to the leg balloons bruising my legs...the left leg still has more pain than
pre-surgery and I wonder if it is just worsening joints or the leg balloons cause damage... I hated
those things ... about the time I was dosing off they would start pumping up and wake me
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

gclark

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 08:20:01 am »
Hi everyone,
It winds up I do have fifth disease which is a great relief to have a diagnosis.  It has nothing to do with my surgery, just have to wait out the aches & pains, no big deal.
Thanks for your responses!
gclark

OMG16

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 12:01:32 pm »
It is always good to have a diagnosis.  Did the Dr tell you how long you would suffer from achey legs?  Wishing you a speedy recovery and kisses to your forehead.  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 12:08:51 pm »
Hi everyone,
It winds up I do have fifth disease which is a great relief to have a diagnosis.  It has nothing to do with my surgery, just have to wait out the aches & pains, no big deal.
Thanks for your responses!
gclark

g -

glad you don't have blood clots.  Don't know what fifth disease is.  Can you give us a brief explanation  ???
Are the achy legs the only symptom and that will go away?  or is there more to it?

If I'm getting too personal, feel free to tell me - I'm just curious as I've heard this disease mentioned, but really know nothing about it.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways