Author Topic: THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME!!!!!!!  (Read 4130 times)

LISAMARIE

THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME!!!!!!!
« on: May 01, 2005, 04:52:42 pm »
I have a neuroma tumor 7.5 mm wide and 14.1 mm in length,
it's located on the Trigeminal Nerve. Iv'e been told that's a
difficult place to operate on.......

Can anyone tell me if that's considered a large, medium,, or small
tumor, it's giving me lot's of symptoms. Headaches, balance problems,
hearing in my left ear isn't good, numb fingers, and spasms all over.
I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone thru this, or is currently
going thru this.......

Thanks.....
Lisamarie.........

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 02:54:50 pm »
Lisamarie,

Do you know the volume measurement of the tumor?  That will tell you how big the tumor is.  Also is it pressing on your brain stem?  As for the sizes, tumors are considered small that are less than 1 cm, medium - 1 - 2 cm, and large - over 3 cm.  Did you see an ENT doctor or your regular doctor?  Know that these tumors are usually slow growing and will give you a chance to do some research on how you want to treat it.  I know exactly how you feel right now, confused, and a bit scared...  This is a great site and there are many people here that can help you through this.  As for the location of the tumor and surgery, there is always the radiation option if that's what you decide on.  Take a few days to get over the initial shock, and then do research on the acoustic neuroma (vestibular schwanoma).  There are three ways to treat it:  Surgery, radiation, and watch and wait.  From your symptoms, you'll probably not be a watch and waiter. 

I found mine from an annual hearing exam...I kept failing it on my left side. No real side effects other than tinitus.  I hope this helps.  Also, there are other AN sites (Acoustic Neuroma), in Yahoo groups.  Go to the "groups" page and do a search for "acoustic neuroma".  It's a different type than this site.  Everyone will read your posts as compared to who wanders into the "general catagory"

Good luck!

Gary
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 02:56:58 pm by GM »
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

rebecca

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 11:33:30 am »
Hi LIsaMarie,

Greetings!  I found emedicine.com to be a fantastic site insofar as it will give you myriad information regarding the acoustic neuroma and surgical options.  My acoustic neuroma was 3 centimeters (considered large) and I had a wonderful surgical team that was able to operate without any permanent nerve damage.  Oddly, even with that size tumor, my only symptoms were vertigo and loss of hearing.

Making sure that your surgeons specialize in this area is of utmost importance!  Best of luck to you.

DetSgt224

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 09:44:51 pm »
Hi Lisamarie,

The best thing for you to do is learn as much as you can about AN.  Mine is 3CM and I am scheduled for surgery on June 7th.  My only symptoms have been near complete hearing loss on the left side.  However the tumor is putting significant pressure on my brain stem.  Given the size and location surgery is basically my only option.  I've gotten great solace from this web site and the people here.  Ask as many questions as you can think of and then ask the ones you think of later.  There is a lot of support here.  The good news is that these tumors are slow growing and benign.  You have a small tumor but your symptoms sound fairly significant.  Best of luck to you.

Travis