Author Topic: One year after surgery – Good news to share  (Read 2516 times)

penpencil79

One year after surgery – Good news to share
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:01:36 pm »
I would like to share my experience with you and hope it will help someone. I am not an English native speaker, please bear with my English.

My 32 years old birthday gift is a confirmed diagnosis of acoustic neuroma on the left side of my brain, 3.1cm*2.8cm, while I was 35 weeks pregnant. Since then, my husband and I got many many help and support from this forum. We really appreciate that. We decide to travel from NJ to California for the surgery. The tumor was removed (translab) by Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic at the end of March 2011. I cannot say enough good words about them.

The outcome is as expected, just as what doctors told me before the surgery, except I have no or very little tears generated from my left eye. No facial problem, very minimum facial numbness, no headache, no problem closing left eye. My baby is very healthy. My balance was back to normal few weeks after the surgery. I had double-vision before the surgery, which was much worse after the surgery, but disappeared about 10 weeks later. I need to put eye drops every 3-4 hours a day, but I feel that’s nothing comparing to the large tumor I had. I am very happy with the results. I will do 1 year follow-up MRI next week. Hope everything is fine.

House clinic is out of my insurance network. My insurance has the out of network coverage, but I need to be responsible for the amount beyond ‘reasonable and customary’. House clinic help claim the cost from my insurance company and end up I only need to pay minimum of the bill. Hope this is helpful for someone consider going there for the surgery.

I feel I am really lucky. I had a very good OB and neurologist, who helped me to find this tumor by MRI. I was told later by other doctors that not many doctors would recommend a MRI to 35 weeks pregnant woman with only very minimum symptoms (3 episodes of double-vision, last few secods to minutes, ear ringing). According to my OB, any bad things could happen if I virginally deliver the baby without knowing this large tumor in brain. I am lucky that I had a wonderful husband. My parents and in-laws travel to US help us take care the baby. Thanks for all of them.

Life changed a lot since the surgery, in a good and better way.

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
Re: One year after surgery – Good news to share
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 07:20:18 pm »
Wow!  Amazing story.  I am so happy for your blessings.
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:49:33 am »
Congratulations on your successful AN surgery at HEI and the birth of your healthy baby...and thank you for sharing your story with us.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 02:06:53 pm »
I'm so glad to read your update! I, a fellow New Jerseyan, remember corresponding with your husband a time or two last year when you were both trying to decide whether or not to travel from New Jersey to Los Angeles to have your surgery done at House. I knew you had indeed decided upon House .... but had not read anything further about the outcome, etc. I'm so glad that you had an excellent experience at House -- as is the case with just about all of us who go there  -- and I'm glad you, your husband, and baby are all doing well.

Best wishes,

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:52:37 am »
You are blessed and I'm darn happy about it too.  ;D
Please update us on how things are going.

Big hugs to you and your family.

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12