Author Topic: Symposium Arrivals into Chicago - dinner Thurs Aug 13  (Read 53048 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Symposium Arrivals into Chicago - dinner Thurs Aug 13
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2009, 11:59:36 am »
well, my head is now spinning from all of this... so, with regret, take my name off the list... I'll grab a burger or such at the hotel and will catch up with all during the symposium. No worries and many of you have my cellnumbers (yes, plural) if I need to be reached.

Bon appetite all.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2009, 12:28:08 pm »
Well, we're (my husband and I) in for whatever, whenever.  Lilan, why don't you just make a reservation at the Mity Nice Grill at whatever time suits the majority?  The point is to be together and get acquainted with each other.  Right?

Phyl, sorry you do not feel up to joining ...... thoroughly understand with your back giving you fits, among many other things!!!  Maybe we can at least see everyone in the lobby before going anywhere.

See you soon.  We are leaving home tomorrow since we are driving but will have Internet access via laptop along the way.

Clarice

P.S.  Love the Canadian "Out of Order" earrings!!  Maybe someone will be selling them in Chicago.  (I want one ......   :-*)
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lilan

« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2009, 12:47:37 pm »
I asked about separate checks and though they really don't do it, they said they would if we really needed it.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Lilan

« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2009, 01:29:52 pm »
This place is Italian, casual, and a smidge nearer the Drake, though not by much. Both this and Mity Nice are a nearby stroll from the Drake -- the blocks are very short there.

Both are part of the same local chain -- it's very Chicago even though it's a family of restaurants!

http://www.frankiespizzachicago.com/

Frankie's would take a reservation, and would split the bill into up to four checks.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2009, 02:13:43 pm »
Lilan~
Thank you so much for taking this on - I was wondering about the time also.  Would 6 give you enough time to get from your job?  It might be best to do it a smidge earlier (than 7- if that works for you) and cut down on the crowd and noise...either place is fine with us!  Just tell us where to be and when!  This is kind of like when we all go out with Dave's family on trips - there are 24 of us - we just show up when they tell us!!  ;D 

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lilan

« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2009, 02:28:39 pm »
6 is totally fine with me; in fact, I could do even earlier if people prefer (but certainly don't have to -- you all are traveling/sightseeing so probably need more leeway than I do!) -- or whatever works for the group.

I will just let everyone weigh in this evening on where and when!!! so everyone gets a chance if they weren't online during the day, and then if we all agree on something in some fashion, am happy to make a call for the reservation tomorrow morning.

I have not been to Frankie's, but am pretty sure Mity Nice will be not be overly boisterous -- it's a bit tucked back into the mall and more something locals know about than tourists; I don't think it's usually packed in the evening. (They were fine to still take us in, so they must not be too packed!)

Please note that I will not be offended if I'm fired and a new plan comes about -- I just wanted to offer what "local" advice that I could!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2009, 03:49:06 pm »
Six is good for me. It's our usual dinner time at home. I had proposed seven so as not to rush anyone. Really any time will be great, except that I'd prefer not to go too late. We plan to leave mid-Missouri at 7:00 a.m. with a stop for lunch and at a MicroCenter so I can pick me up a new Mac!

The place at the Water Tower looks good. I know it lies between the Drake and Red Roof Inn. Also the girls can scope out the shopping for the next day while I am at symposium.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2009, 04:10:41 pm »
Phyll's and my plans are dictated by our pain levels right now.  I get in before noon and haven't figured out what to do with myself after my flight and before I can check into the Drake which is about 3:00.  I was going to wander down to Navy Pier or the Field Museum and just bop around solo, but my back is really bothering me.  I will try to do an early check in at the Drake.  If anyone is getting to town early afternoon and wants to get together I'll PM you my cell number and we can meet up.

About dinner--I'm up for anything as long as it involves deep-dish pizza.  But I want to keep Phyll company if she is out of it from the trip.  I had the TENS machine on my back all morning and it seems to have helped a lot.  Don't know how I'm going to get it on the plane cuz it looks like a bomb.  Wasn't going to check my luggage but I guess I'll have to now.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2009, 05:09:17 pm »
6:00 is fine with us ...... pizza is fine ..... or anything else ..... just let me know when and where.

Deb, we hope to get to the Drake shortly after noon ..... hoping we can at least stash our luggage somewhere.  Often hotels will give you early admittance if the room is available (cleaned) so hoping for that.  Then we would like to go to the Field Museum if I am not too exhausted from driving for a day & a half.  We'd love to have you go with us, if you are up for it and want to go with us.  Let me know and I will PM my cell number to you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2009, 06:45:45 pm »
Captain,

Call the airline ahead of time and get “wheel chair service” to be scooted about the airport and onto the plane. You will get royal treatment (not to mentioned loaded on the plane first.)  When I had the wheel chair, post surgery flight, I was treated very well. Goodness if you are having that much back pain- just go for it. They will even assist you  through security, with luggage etc. and into the cab.

Also call the Drake and explain the recent back injury and see if you can arrange for early admittance to your room.

The hospitality industry always makes special allowances for the disabled... Captain- it sounds to me that you have
debilitating pain that is disabling you-thus you qualify here.

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

sgerrard

« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2009, 07:16:07 pm »
Speaking of bills, I highly doubt we'll be able to get 15 separate checks,

Why not?  ;D

6 is a bit early for me, but just set it up at 6 if that is best, and I will get over there when I can. I land at O'Hare at 5:02 pm.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2009, 07:44:50 pm »
Phyll's and my plans are dictated by our pain levels right now.  I get in before noon and haven't figured out what to do with myself after my flight and before I can check into the Drake which is about 3:00.  I was going to wander down to Navy Pier or the Field Museum and just bop around solo, but my back is really bothering me.  I will try to do an early check in at the Drake.  If anyone is getting to town early afternoon and wants to get together I'll PM you my cell number and we can meet up.

About dinner--I'm up for anything as long as it involves deep-dish pizza.  But I want to keep Phyll company if she is out of it from the trip.  I had the TENS machine on my back all morning and it seems to have helped a lot.  Don't know how I'm going to get it on the plane cuz it looks like a bomb.  Wasn't going to check my luggage but I guess I'll have to now.

Capt Deb

will phone you Wednesday, m'dear... and hang tough. Save the TENS for me as well, will ya? I got the Radox packed and yes... I know... I'll have to pull you out of the tub.

xoxooxoxxo
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2009, 08:19:41 pm »
Definitely get the wheelchair like Daisy suggested - for me, they really didn't question the medical equipment when i was in a wheelchair!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2009, 05:55:01 am »
Definitely get the wheelchair like Daisy suggested - for me, they really didn't question the medical equipment when i was in a wheelchair!!

K   ;D

have also noted it to the Captn as I do wheelchair at all airports for the past few years (most certainly helps with very large airports such as ORD, ATL, Heathrow, etc).  I can never make such walks.  Will check on the Captn later today to see how the wench is holding up.

Phyl

Cheryl R

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2009, 06:33:26 am »
See if you can get in a handicap accessibile room when you check in.               Sounds like would be very handy for you both!                                   
                                                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care