Author Topic: Symposium Arrivals into Chicago - dinner Thurs Aug 13  (Read 53086 times)

Kaybo

Re: Symposium Arrivals into Chicago - dinner Thurs Aug 13
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2009, 08:23:09 am »
We are easy - knock on wood, so far not any inhibitors (just my head, but I am getting used to it) - we are in for whatever...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2009, 08:32:53 am »
Ditto!  We are in for whatever ..... except noisy places ..... and wherever the group decides.  Clear and low 80s in Chicago this week-end ...... yeah!!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lilan

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2009, 09:03:50 am »
I have one more suggestion to throw out there: the Mity Nice Grill in Water Tower Place.

It's very near the Drake, and reasonably priced, with a wide-ranging American menu. I just called and they still have reservations available for Thursday evening and can handle a party of this size.

I'm trying to think of places in walking distance that are both lower-priced and can handle a big group -- but have a touch more Chicago style than Cheesecake Factor/Cali Pizza Kitchen -- will keep thinking and asking around in case I'm forgetting someplace obvious!

http://chicago.menupages.com/restaurants/mity-nice-grill/

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Lilan

« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2009, 09:12:55 am »
PS: Is this a joke?

Actually the ANA passes out "deaf left" of "deaf right" buttons with your symposium kit.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2009, 09:16:51 am »

Actually the ANA passes out "deaf left" of "deaf right" buttons with your symposium kit.

Not at all.  Its a benign way of alerting people that you're deaf in one ear.  This is especially pertinent at a convention where the majority of the participants will be SSD.  

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2009, 09:19:38 am »
I have one more suggestion to throw out there: the Mity Nice Grill in Water Tower Place.

It's very near the Drake, and reasonably priced, with a wide-ranging American menu. I just called and they still have reservations available for Thursday evening and can handle a party of this size.

http://chicago.menupages.com/restaurants/mity-nice-grill/

That sounds good to me. Chicago style is nice and all, but the main thing is the company. I say book it, Lilan.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Lilan

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2009, 09:20:52 am »
Not to be Orwellian, but it seems like there could be kinder verbiage for signifying! Like "Talk to me on this side  :)!" or something!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:19 am »

Not at all.  Its a benign way of alerting people that you're deaf in one ear.  This is especially pertinent at a convention where the majority of the participants will be SSD.  

Jim

Most definately not a joke and sold on the ANA website :  

https://anausa.org/items_for_sale.shtml

(scroll to bottom to see what the pins look like).  Most helpful to those around us that don't know which ear is the one enduring hearing loss.  

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2009, 10:04:41 am »

My routine in the morning is to go out the door: with a watch, earplugs in the pocket, ANA "deaf left" pin on my shirt and another pin on my outer jacket. I never go anywhere without these otherwise I feel naked.  ;D ;)

People will re-position themselves when talking to me without my having to say a thing. People in the grocery store I know who probably tried to pass me with their grocery cart on the left, and must have said "excuse me" a few times, often look back at me to almost glare (since I did not move and hear them),... see the pin and have an automatic look of forgiveness on their face.

Sometimes people will ask me "what is an acoustic neuroma?" (since it says “acoustic neuroma association”) and I take this great opportunity to enlighten another person about this. I also had one woman come up to me who had recently gone single sided deaf ask me where I got the pin. She then explained to me that she just lost her hearing for no reason one ear, had balance issues and tinnitus. I was also noting some facial weakness in her face as she was talking. I gave her my ENT's card and suggested she get an MRI. (To this day I wonder if anything came out of that.)

I love the concept!  Just wish they were more "outfit friendly", if there's such a thing.  I'd pay the price for a 'prettier' one   ;)   Just a suggestion.

My daughter just  ::)  everytime I tell someone I'm deaf on that side.  She's sick of hearing me explain why.  And frankly, I get sick of it too!

Cheri

So those of you who want something more decorative
Here is what the ANAC (the Canadian version of our ANA) are selling
http://www.anac.ca/endocs/OutofOrder.pdf
(I think these are hilarious)

“Deaf left” pin… I never leave home without it. Very useful and helpful item... right up there with my watch.

DHM

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:12:27 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Lilan

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2009, 10:54:26 am »
Now we're talking! (Re the earrings!)  ;)

Lilan

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2009, 11:03:52 am »
Back to Thursday dinner: Wherever everyone goes and whoever makes the reservation, I respectfully suggest the time has come to decide on a time! It's hard to even make inquiries without knowing a time.

I apologize if I've missed it, but I looked and didn't see one. I'm back at work now so not too much time to spend on here except random check-ins!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2009, 11:24:53 am »
Seven? That should give everyone a chance to check in, rest a little, freshen up and head out.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Lilan

« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2009, 11:31:45 am »
Speaking of ears, a reminder that the Air & Water Show is going on. I know I keep harping on this fact but it's a big deal and the Drake is in the middle of it. As I sit here about a half-mile away from the hotel, I already hear very loud planes overhead (practicing).

Anyone who has sound-sensitivity issues should be prepared for lots of loud noise as well as the crowds. The show itself is Sat-Sun, but on Fri and even Thu there is a lot of random practicing going on usually.

ETA: My specific point which I forgot to actually say was bring earplugs!  ;) And carry them with you when you head outside.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2009, 11:49:50 am »
Seven? That should give everyone a chance to check in, rest a little, freshen up and head out.

Sara

Pearly Whites has an 8 am ANA leaders meeting the next morning... Some of us are on Pacific Standard time...

Can we make it 6 pm (or earlier) instead?  If we leave the hotel , walk to a place, order etc... I'll bet it will be well past 8pm before food is actually on the table. Bills arriving closer to 9pm...

DHM
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:32:10 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Lilan

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2009, 11:51:26 am »
Speaking of bills, I highly doubt we'll be able to get 15 separate checks, so we might need to think that through too (aka bringing cash).