Author Topic: My second year MRI results Fine!!!  (Read 3325 times)

Mei Mei

My second year MRI results Fine!!!
« on: January 07, 2012, 04:41:24 pm »
Dear ANers,
I didn't know where to post this but thought the Community was the best place.   I had my second post surgical MRI on Tuesday and took the CD to the wonderful Maureen Moriarity at Georgetown and she went over the results on the computer one pic at a time.   She told me how beautiful my brain looked (Don't want to be a Beautiful Mind, if you saw the movie).   She told me there was not tumor there and I was fine.

At this juncture, I have some thoughts of the AN experience.    I was fortunate to have a fantastic ENT, Dr. Douglas Feldman when I thought I had impacted cerumen (wax).    He said all was fine but to take a hearing test which showed a  35 dB hearing loss.   He sent me upstairs where they worked me in for an MRI at the end of the day on Friday afternoon.  On Tuesday, another doctor told me that I had this AN and not to worry because it was benign.   I wish that I had listened to him because I rushed in to things and surgery before I understood the full picture.  I got four opinions and nobody was in a rush but Hopkins that said I might have a stroke.   They also recommended Retrosigmoid but didn't use the word and just said cut from the back of the head.   Dr. Friedman said Middle Fossa and so did Univ. of MD, the doc at Cornell to which I always go to first because that was where I was born, said all the proper things like surgery, watch and wait and radiation.   He left the choice to MOI!!!   Because of Hopikins saying I was at risk for stroke, I went with them.   I didn't know they were doing the retrosigmoid approach and had never heard the word before.   I went with them and have been sorry ever since.   I've gone through the headaches, treatment with a neurologist, occipital nerve blocks and near dear experience at the Cleveland Clinic..   I found Dr. Ducic and Myofacial Release Therapy at the recommendation of the wonderful Maureen Moriarity.   I am much better now and am on Disability Retirement.   I am still getting Myofacial Release Therapy for the pain in the neck and shoulder and Botox for the uneven shoulders and neck pain.    It's a long recovery from surgery especially now that I know that I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.     I wish that I had gotten Middle Fossa back then or even Cyber Knife at Pittsburgh with Dr. Kondziolka.    I've loved vein a member of the Forum and I wouldn't have met all of you or gone to the Cincinnati Symposium had I not had all this trouble.   Life's gifts come in strange packages and I am glad now that I have all of you in spite of the pain I've been through.
Hugs to all of you,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: My second year MRI results Fine!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:55:21 pm »
Mei Mei ~

Congratulations on your 'clean' MRI!  I'm so happy for you!  I'm also pleased to learn that you're recovering and things are looking up or, if you will: the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.  :)  We appreciate your kind and generous words for the ANA website forums and the AN patients that make them what they are.  We're pleased to have been of some help to you and I want you to know that you are and will remain a valued member, here.  Thanks for your many contributions.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:17:05 pm »
Congratulations Mei Mei! I am so very happy for you...I hope all future MRIs are likewise clean!!

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Mei Mei

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:46:35 pm »
Thanks, Jim and Tod.    I always look forward to hearing from you.    Your words and support are important to me.
Sincerely,
Mei Mei   ;D
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:50:37 pm »
Congratulations, Mei Mei.

Very good news indeed  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:46:05 pm »
Thanks, Jan!   Happy New Year!

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:23:19 am »
Dear Mei Mei...I know that life after surgery has been nothing but hell for you, yet despite all that you've always seemed upbeat and always looking forward to getting the answers you need.  You are a real inspiration and I hope that others who are feeling down or not quite themselves can look at your journey and see that there is indeed, as Jim says, a light at the end of the tunnel.  Congratulations on the clean MRI, nice to have some good news for a change, eh? :)  Good luck as you continue to get better!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 11:44:27 am »
Mei Mei
Good news on your MRI. That is awsome. Hope you get some relief.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 06:42:36 pm »
Always good to hear good news...congrats!
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!