Author Topic: Meeting with the neurosurgeon  (Read 6185 times)

luv2teachsped

Re: Meeting with the neurosurgeon
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 04:08:57 pm »
Hi Jean!  I teach cognitively impaired children ages k-4.  I am returning to teaching this fall, but am a little apprehensive.  I still tire easily when I overdo.  My class is a very active class and keep me on my toes.  I have a great assistant, so I'm sure things will be okay.  I have a 4 speaker amplify system in my class (to get the attention of the kids) and hopefully this will keep me from talking too loud.  I've noticed, as well as friends and family that I do tend to talk too loud at times.I think my students will probaly be the most sensitive when it comes to my hearing loss.  Since I had already loss 80% of my hearing before the surgery, we had 'lots of practice.I was very lucky to have another special ed. teacher in our district(which is very small, what are the chances?) to constantly call and drop in on me.  She was my life saver.  I knew I could always call her, and it helped so much to have someone know exactly what I was going through.  Although we weren't close friends before, we have become support buddies for each other.  Always keep your positive attitude!
luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Jeanlea

Re: Meeting with the neurosurgeon
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 08:40:29 pm »
Hi Luv2teachsped,

Today I went to a technology conference with several of the teachers that I work with.  Some of them had already heard about my surgery and I told a few others.  They are very supportive which is great.  After getting advice from one of last year's parents I decided that I will tell the parents of my kinders about my operation at the Open House before school starts.  I will only have a short time with my class before my surgery. I'm hoping for a good transition for when I return.  I can't really tell them too much about what to expect when I return.  Guess we'll work on that when the time comes.  I've never been out of school for so many days at once before.  But kids are adaptable and I'm sure I'm worrying more than I need to.  :-)

It was interesting to read about how you are adapting to the hearing loss.  I'm wondering what that is going to be like especially since I very little hearing loss at this point. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD