Author Topic: Is this a setback?  (Read 3445 times)

patbiedermann

• One day at a time...small steps!
Is this a setback?
« on: March 05, 2012, 01:19:52 pm »
I went to the eye doctor today for him to check my glaucoma, which I had prior to my CPA tumor.  I had laser surgery 6 years ago for it and have been doing fine.  My my glaucoma is fine, However on my visual field I had done prior to todays checkup showed the bottom half of my right eye isn't very good.  Right after my surgery I had a corneal ulceration and was treated with a protective contact lens and antibiotics.  that healed fine.  I had a gold weight put in in  January because my eyelid wasn't closing completely.  I have been putting in eye drops continously and use lacrilube gel at night.  The eye doctor today put a protective contact lens (which I hate) in and gave me antibiotic drops and I am to use the eye drops that I am using every hour.  I will go back in 2 weeks.  He is trying to protect my cornea.  He says I have come a
long way.  If this doesn't work, he may have to do surgery to raise my lower lid.  I don't want anymore surgery.  This is so frustrating... I just want everthing to get back to as much normal as it can be.  I don't want to see anymore doctors!!!  I have my second followup MRI on Thursday and see my neurosurgeon on the 16th.  If what he had to leave in (about 5%) has grown, he wants to do Gamma Knife.  On the first MRI postsurgery, neither the radiologist or he could tell if this was residual tumor or postop change.  I hope it is postop change.  I feel frustrated. I just want to cry and no one seems to understand.   It seems whenever I feel as if I am making progress, I take 2 steps back.  Will things ever be "normal" again?
Translabyrinthine removal on 6/13/11 for a 3-4 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor (vestibular schwannoma) at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY by Dr. Deshaies and Dr. Woods.  10 1/2  hour surgery.  Got 90-95% of tumor. Hospital stay for 10 days. Inpatient Rehab for 7 days.  doing pretty well.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Is this a setback?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 01:38:03 pm »
I'm so sorry that you are going through this. While I did not have an AN, I had another rare neurological condition (hemifacial spasm) with post-surgical facial paralysis and of course eye issues.

I vote go ahead and cry. Sometimes it's just a relief to get the pent-up emotions out of your system for a while. Even if nobody immediately around you understands, there are plenty here who do. I also join you in your hope that your second follow-up MRI shows no problems.

Can you tell me what kind of protective contact lens your doctor prescribed you? I am interested in finding an alternative to using Refresh PM gel 24/7. I had LASIK in 2000 and really miss the sharp vision.

Take care and hang in there.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

patbiedermann

• One day at a time...small steps!
Re: Is this a setback?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:42:53 pm »
sara,
He didn't prescribe the contact.  He put it in in the office.  He said if it falls out before I see him in 2 weeks, it's ok.  Just resume using the lacrilube.  He would like the cornea to heal as much as it can on its own.  He put the contact in to help protect it.
Translabyrinthine removal on 6/13/11 for a 3-4 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor (vestibular schwannoma) at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY by Dr. Deshaies and Dr. Woods.  10 1/2  hour surgery.  Got 90-95% of tumor. Hospital stay for 10 days. Inpatient Rehab for 7 days.  doing pretty well.