Author Topic: Nasal congestion and symptoms  (Read 9885 times)

saccadiceye

Nasal congestion and symptoms
« on: June 05, 2015, 07:16:59 pm »
Has anyone experienced a link between nasal congestion and other post-op symptoms, namely headache, nystagmus, vertigo, dizziness and nausea?

I personally have noticed a link. I suffer from bad congestion, often times one of my nostrils is completely blocked. However, on days I am relatively congestion free, I generally feel much better.

I have tried mometasone (nasonex) and other remedies. I have found that claritin (loratadine pseudoephedrine) works quite well. However, it's probably not the best long-term solution.

I recently saw an ENT who has me on a NeilMed sinus rinse + pulmicort nebulamp. Hopefully this will clear some of the other symtoms too.

If any of you suffer from chronic congestion, I would encourage you to see an ENT.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:28:14 pm by saccadiceye »
Cerebellar lesion removed late-Feb 2013
Age 22

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Nasal congestion and symptoms
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:48:41 pm »
I've been participating here for over 3 years and I don't recall anybody mentioning nasal congestion.

Nor is it listed as a symptom of cerebellar pilocytic astrocytoma (I looked it up).

You might try seeing an allergist in case you just have something seasonal going on.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

SueLL

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 10:00:09 am »
I have intermittent nasal congestion only on my AN side some days when I feel fullness in the AN ear.  I mentioned it to the audiologist, who immediately thought "allergy".  The odd thing is that I have never had allergies in my life, and it only affects one side of my nose.  So, this may be some AN-related symptom, since ears and noses are related.  I figure the antihistamines I try for ear fullness on bad days helps.
Diagnosed with 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.3 mm right side AN – September 2013; Gamma Knife at UPMC July 2014; Retrosigmoid surgery at Tufts Medical Center June 2018 to remove 2.0 x 1.8 mm tumor

feline

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 01:33:26 pm »
Funny someone has mentioned this because I also have the same symptoms my nose on my AN side is always congested and it is not allergies I always thought it had to do with my tumor/nerves being messed with anyone else?
Feline 11 months post translab no change with eye or facial paralysis
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

saccadiceye

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 01:53:18 pm »
I've been participating here for over 3 years and I don't recall anybody mentioning nasal congestion.

Nor is it listed as a symptom of cerebellar pilocytic astrocytoma (I looked it up).

You might try seeing an allergist in case you just have something seasonal going on.

It's funny how I used to get severe seasonal allergies, and would often have a runny nose pre-op. However, post-op even two years down the road, my seasonal allergies dont flare up and I never really get a runny nose.

The congestion is pretty chronic and it definitely gets worse when the sky is overcast.
Age 22

saccadiceye

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 01:57:59 pm »
I'm concerned that I may have some inner ear  or nerve disorder that causes or contributes to the congestion. It's funny how I've met with leading ENT's (in my city at least...) and they kind of just shrug this off.

Does anyone think a perilymph fistula could cause these issues?

Regardless of what causes the congestion, I find it makes my other symptoms much worse, and that is my main reason for posting this.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:12:29 pm by saccadiceye »
Age 22

ewhitese

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 04:30:15 am »
My AN journey began with chronic sinusitis and bronchitis.  My AN was discovered by my ENT while prepping for sinus surgery.  I experienced allergy like symptoms for two years post op.  My symptoms have almost completely gone away in the past couple months.  I was blocked on the AN side and pretty much continuously blocked with facial pain and headache.  I still have some congestion in the AN side but very little.

I also have a swollen lymph node in my neck below my ear, it swells and shrinks, my ent says it is not a concern unless it gets hard.  Still no one has confirmed a connection with the AN.   I agree there must be a connection but what can be done about it it is probably no different than what is already being done.   Treat the individual symptoms and wait.

Hokiegal

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 04:15:19 pm »
My AN journey also began with sinusitis.  The ENT who treats my sinuses suspected something more was going on, based on the severity and type of headaches I was having,  and sent me to a neurologist.  Three years post-AN surgery (and post sinus surgery), I still have congestion on the AN side, which we are treating with a nasal nebulizer.  I have come to the conclusion that my slight facial droop is enough to constrict the AN side sinus passage near the nose.  If I gently press upward in that area, the passage opens up.  Makes me wonder how long my face was drooping, unnoticed, before the AN was discovered.
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

CHRISOMLOR

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 07:55:08 am »
I have the same symptoms with one nostral being restricted all the time.  I actually use breath rite strips to help breath at night.  I finally started pushing my doctors to fix this problem about 2 years ago.  After using allergy sprays up my nose for awhile to prove it wasn't allergy related, my doctor referred me to one of his partners.  So after my AN surgery on my right side, and another tumor years ago on the left side (shwannoma), i was left with no hearing on the right side and facial nerve problems on both sides.  My face has good tone, but i cannot lift my eyebrows or smile.  So back to the nose.  the doctor had stated that it was a nose "valve" problem due to nerve issues. He had stated to me that he could perform surgery to fix the problem.  (open the airway)  i scheduled it that day.  i go in sept 22.
i will let you know how it goes.

feline

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 11:56:02 am »
Please let me know If it works I have the same problem and I'm about 13 months post translab
Tina
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

Echo

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 02:29:02 pm »
I have nasal congestion every night on my AN side and I had Gamma Knife.   I've also struggled for the entire month of July with a very uncomfortable pressure feeling in my head that has been putting pressure on both of my ears.  My hearing has been coming and going with the pressure feeling in my head.   I don't normally suffer from allergies in the middle of the summer, so I was assuming I had some swelling going on and was just waiting it out.  Finally on Friday afternoon out of frustration (I could  barely hear anything), I tried to reach my neurosurgeon.  He wasn't available but I was able to see my family Dr.  He wondered if I might be having some allergy issues as I sounded congested to him.  We decided I'd try some Reactin and Nasonex, starting Friday afternoon and see how I was by Monday.  Well, within 12 hours the pressure feeling was completely gone and my hearing has returned to normal.  There must be something out there this summer that I am reacting to.  So glad things are now back to normal - but I'm still congested on the right side of my nose!

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

alabamajane

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 06:10:43 pm »
I find this thread very interesting because I have similar problems with my nose due to paralysis after the AN surgery.
I'm not really congested though as I have a runny nose at odd times,, or very inconvenient times anyway. If I sweat or just get hot it runs uncontrollably! I can be outside or in a store or just talking to someone and it starts..really irritating! I keep a tissue with me at all times now. I decided it was due to not being able to "sniff" on that side. I have good facial tone and can smile slightly and have movement due to a 12/7 graft done right after surgery but the right side of my nose is droopy and I put it off to that.

Let us know how this goes for you though. I'm not really eager for surgery to fix it,, I just learned to live with it like a lot of other "inconveniences",,,,,,, :'(.  Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Kristena

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 12:00:50 pm »
I don't know if this is your issue, Saccadiceye, but for those with facial paralysis, there is definitely a muscle/nerve link that doesn't hold your airway open on the weak side. I discussed the same problem with my ENT in the first months after my surgery, but the issue resolved with my minimal facial nerve regeneration. I didn't realize there was a surgery for it. That would make breathing so much easier for those who don't fully recover!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

CattAN

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 10:06:14 pm »
Feline,

I too have congestion on the AN side.  It seems to be allergy, as I have 3 felines.  The headache, congestion, and fullness go away when I take claratin, but I don't want to take it daily. 

CattAN
Right side AN diagnosed 6/7/2015
12x11 mm
Swelling to 15x13 mm @ six months
SSD, tinnitus, some balance issues....
~~~~~~~~~
Stanford CyberKnife1 9/2/2015 (single fraction)
Dr. Steven Chang & Dr. Iris Gibbs

saccadiceye

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 11:32:22 pm »
I had a few strings of good days. However, I am much worse yesterday and today, and I feel like I took a giant step backwards...

I feel a bit more plugged up and have difficulties with attention, hearing and balance. My mind is spinning and even the most basic task, like writing this post, is incredibly difficult/frustrating.

I am going to try taking a decongestant tomorrow.

A few short things:

-I've been on the pulmicort/sinus rinse regimen for a couple months. I stopped adding pulmicort per the advice of my ENT, and after a week of doing this I'm starting to feel much worse. Perhaps, I need to continue with the pulmicort.

-My ENT (well actually the ENT covering him) said I have a slight deviated septum and signs of allergies in the
nasal cavity. I'm am going to be referred to an allergist. Unfortunately, I live in Canada, so there is a 6 month wait... At least I live near a good medical centre. I probably should have pushed  her a little regarding the deviated septum, I'm concerned this might be a long term issue.

-My nose feels quite dry. Not bone dry, but certainly drier to how it was pre-craniotomy. I'm concerned this might be related to the surgery.

-My vision has been improving since the craniotomy. -4.25 pre surgery, -4.75 post surgery, -3.00 current. My optometrist thinks this might be related to the reduction in sinus inflammation

-Eye movement control issues are generally improving. On really good days they don't really bother me too much. On crappy days like today my visual-vestibular mismatch (if you want to call it that) makes riding the bus, typing emails, reading body language, etc., an incredible challenge.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:53:36 pm by saccadiceye »
Age 22