Author Topic: CSF Leak?  (Read 9989 times)

kaitysmom

CSF Leak?
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:36:52 pm »
I've heard folks on here talk about CSF leaks anywhere from a few days after surgery to years.  Not sure if this is a leak or a "freak occurence".  I'm 8 weeks post surgery and while eating my lunch I began to choke/cough so hard that my head felt like it was going to explode then the bloody nose started.  This has never happened before.  I was told in the hospital that if I had a continual runny nose or fluid leaking from my ear that was a CSF leak.  I've had a runny nose periodically but only since I started back to work after the new year.  Then I chalked it up to coming back into an office environment where everyone seemed to have a cold. 

Has anyone had this before?  I have called the doctor just to be sure I'm not going crazy.  I am hoping it's more of a freak incident rather than a leak. 

Jody

Cheryl R

Re: CSF Leak?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 01:24:00 pm »
Hi Jody,     Doubtful it is a leak.       You possibly have a very dry nose which can happen in winter and the irritation of the cough set the bleeding off.         One can have a runny nose but it isn't a leak.             My surgeon states a leak as when you bend over for a time the fluid comes as a drip out of the nose and can catch some like a drip of water coming from a faucet,then is a leak.     I did have a leak in 2006 2 weeks post op and it did act this way.               I do get a  runny nose on one side from eating and the other if get too warm when active but it doesn't drip.    I recently had a cold and  one side ran once I was over it for a few days  and of course made me nervous but no drip.   it has quit now.                      One should ask your dr if continues or feels like things are not right.          I personally never had any salty taste or headache when I did have the leak.      Some do with it.
                                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Mark241

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:07:56 pm »
Hi Jody, I kinda doubt its' csf also, I would try a salin/water mix to mostin the nasal passages, you can pick it up at any Walgreen's. I am still in a battle with csf leaks, mine never came out of my nose, only out of the incision site. I also use musinex to deal with bad sinus. Hope it helps
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 03:28:49 pm »
Jody ~

Although I'm not a nurse like Cheryl or had to deal with stubborn CSF leaks like Mark, my inexpert opinion is that what you experienced is probably not a CSF leak.  I assume your doctor will confirm that supposition.  I also hope that the runny/bloody nose situation can be easily remedied.  Please let us know how this all works out for you.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:54 pm »
Hi Jody

I agree with Cheryl and Mark, my CSF leak was a constant drip and when I use to bend in the slightest it trickled out. It was the same texture as water and had a salty taste like tears.  It was also constant and not periodic. I also had some really painful headaches as well that was caused by the pressure changes in my head and I had never had ones that bad before.

Hope this helps a little

Jacqui

3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

yosemitesam

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:52:35 pm »
Hi,
I had a leak after my first surgery in 2007. It was a small leak from my nose and was noticed when I would bend over to tie my shoes.
I went in to my doctor and was sent home with sinus meds. a few days later I developed mengentitus.
I also developed a new leak a month ago and had surgery to stop the leak. It didn't work and the leak was inside my ear and my ear swelled up.
So, I had to have a shunt install and all is well not. I hope
Your doctor should be able to take a sample of the fluid and send it to the lab. Mine did the second time.
Good luck.
3 surgery girl
multiple CSF leaks
Emory Hospital