Author Topic: surgery scheduled!!!  (Read 3646 times)

superrmaren

surgery scheduled!!!
« on: July 01, 2006, 10:05:51 pm »
hey all
i was at johns hopkins to meet with dr minor on friday...because my AN is 4- 4.5 cm, it has to come out right away -- as in july 10th.
my surgery is scheduled and only 9 days away -- im very nervous because i've never had ANY surgery before, let alone anything like this...any advice? things to bring to the hospital? things i'll want at home after the surgery?
drs minor and tomargo at johns hopkins have been working together on AN surgeries for 13 years. they do about 70 a year. good news, right?
i think i am in good hands. and everybody at the hospital was just as nice as could be!!
now if i could just focus on something besides having brain surgery for the rest of the week!! i get NOTHING done at work...
*sigh
xox
maren
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry

Obita

Re: surgery scheduled!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 06:30:16 am »
Hello Maren:

Best of luck to you.  Not having to wait weeks, months until surgery is a definate plus.  That stress (I had 7 weeks of it) was really awful.  I just wanted it out NOW.  

Bring your own pillow.  What approach are they doing on you?  I had translab and the pressure bandage is thick on the AN side.  A comfortable pillow can be squished up under your non AN side to even your head out.  The hospital pillows just don't cut it.  You will sleep alot in the hospital so I found that I didn't need a whole lot to keep me busy.  Reading was hard, you just can't focus very well.  Don't worry about it either.  It's normal.

If you have any questions you can write to me anytime.  I am 2 years post op and the experience is fresh in my mind.

Kathy

ps:  be ready for a 4 - 6 week lazy vacation - VERY lazy vacation and get a tube of lacrilube just in case your eye dries up.  Mine did about 10 days to 2 weeks post op.
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 09:38:42 am »
I'm just about to go under too, and have had 4 months to prepare.  Ugg.

What I've done based on everyone's comments is installed a european showerhead, gotten a shower stool, no more tears shampoo, straws, and popcicles for the house.  To take with me I have:  little personal hand held fan, lollipops, sea bands, moist wipes, prunes, and a journal so that I or my loved ones can track symptomology, meds, reactions, progress, etc.  I've also been told to ask for sponge pops from the nurses, that they don't always tell people they exist.  Hopefully they've told you that you'll probably need someone tending to you and watching you for a couple weeks after the hospital stay, and that you have a good support system.  I think that's really the thing you need most.

3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

jacobs

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 08:44:49 pm »

Hi Maren,thinking about you and remembering my own anxiety leading up to surgery.It will be all over soon and you will be on the road to recovery.I did alot of breathing exercises in the week leading up to surgery and even in the hospital waiting to go into the OR.
 It really helped to slow down my pounding heart.Slow deep breaths...This also helped while in the hospital after the surgery,it can get a bit overwhelming especially with the drugs they put you on and the anesthesia wearing off.
 One thing that I had in the hospital was a microwavable heating pad.My neck muscles were very sore after the surgery and my visitors would go and heat up the neck pad for me and it helped with the pain.
  Ginger pills also helped with the nausea and they don't intefere w the meds.My surgeon actually encouraged me to take them as well.
 Focus on the people in your life that you love and who love and care about you and that will go far!I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing about your speedy recovery.
                                                                                              Tracey

Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 11:55:45 pm »
Maren: Do some fun things in the next few days, go to a movie, go out with old friends and talk about things other than the tumor and surgery, get a short snappy hair cut and things like that.
When you get home you'll likely need lots of help, do you live alone? with parents? You'll likely be able to take care of yourself for shower etc. but that's about it for a while and you won't be able to drive for a while, arrange rides etc. now if you need to.
I would not be without my own pillows in hospital, have extra pj's and housecoat in case of the "barf's", kleenex, note paper and pen, your phone book if you want to be getting in touch with people (may have difficulty with numbers for a little while), hard candy is good for the dry mouth that can happen in hospital (make sure you're safe to have it afterwards though beforehand), ear plug if a snoring room-mate will bother you.
Best of recoveries wished for you.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

block

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 02:07:09 pm »
Hello Maren,I was in your situation late in January of this year.I had an AN removed and it was my first stay in the hospital since 1966.I had Translab surgery and spent 3 days locked up in the hospital.

As far advice.....I would say the key thing is to be patient.You will feel like crap the first 24 hours but I seemed to get a little better as each hour went by.I never has any pain at all from the incesion but my stomach was very naseous for about 24-36 hours.Also drink yourself plenty of water after surgery.This helped my keep my kidneys active and I am also convinced it aided in getting all the anastesia out of my system.

When you get home enjoy the rest and try to get out and walk every chance you can.The first few days I had real issues trying to walk a straight line but after a little practice and a few days of recovery you will be fine.My doc gave me a weeks worth of steroids to keep the swelling down and I noticed that I had some real bizzare dreams while I was taking them,almost like something from an acid trip.I was sure glad when I took my last one of those things.

Best of luck to you and I hope you have a real quick recovery.....

cinnamon

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 02:00:42 pm »
suppermaren,

I will be thinking of you and that you recover quickly. I just found out yesterday my surgery has been moved to July 20th instead of July 26th but I think the sooner the better. Everyone on this forum is so supportive that it will just be all better once it is behind you. Good luck, I will be praying for you!

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 02:07:38 pm »
maren and lisa... sending you both MAJOR huggles as you begin this journey from "pre" to "postie"... we're here for you in anyway we can.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

staypoz

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 02:51:33 pm »
The nurses at Hopkins are terrific.  They will be a great help to you in your recovery.

Best wishes!
staypoz