Author Topic: Cross hearing aid  (Read 7932 times)

kathy g

• Getting great radio heard
Cross hearing aid
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:03:57 am »
I have no hearing in my bad ear and not great hearing in my good ear.  It sometimes is hard to hear people when the speak, unless they speak up and I can see their mouths.  I have no directional hearing, so I can't find my car when it beeps in the parking lot.

Just went to UCLA to see about a hearing aid and she recommended the cross hearing aid, but it is $5K.  Do not think insurance covers it. The doctor said it would make some difference in my hearing, but not make a dramatic difference.  She said I could take it back for a full refund after 30 days.  Is wearing a hearing aid a big hassle?

Does anyone with experience  think it will help? 

Thanks, Kathy
November 2010- 10 x 7 x 8 mm
May 2009- 28 x 26 x 17 mm
GK  May 2009 Washington Hospital, Fremont, CA

carter

Re: Cross hearing aid
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:25:54 am »
i have not tried the cross, but i do wear 2 aids.

left ear (AN) is very very poor and right is not good.  i had dramatic speech recognition loss after ck (6 months).  1st audiologist said to forget it.  after a year of no direction, etc, i went to an old audiologist. 

she said that cross has promised a new instrument later this month.  she wishes to see it.  she and i both agreed that we have heard bad about the old.  she has heard good about the new.

we talked and decide to try the oticon agil for the an ear.   this is after testing at 15 to 20% recognition for single words.... it was better for sentences. 

each state has different laws about return policies.... what is required by law.  in Okieland, it is 30 days.  i paid for the aid, i can return it in 30 days with the audiologist keeping a fitting fee of $150.

do i like wearing aids ????  heck no. 

do i wear them ....  i take out one at home so i can hear the tv,   same for weekends

do i wear at work - yessssir. 

after a while it is like wearing glasses ---- forget that you have them on --- until they fog over or it rains and they get hard to see through.

costs ... i am not sure about the cross

an oticon agil was $3400.  i have an older oticon that was 3,000 5 years ago ...  she said that a new one was now at $1,500 --- electronics get cheaper.

hope this info helps.

carter

Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

kathy g

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:02:41 pm »
Thanks Carter:

What is an oticon agi?  How is it better?

Thanks so much for your response.

Best,

Kathy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:38:56 am »
Oticon is one of the bigger manufacturers of hearing aids - they've been in business a long time and have a great reputation.

They are based somewhere in New Jersey and just released their first BAHA device last year.

I'm not familiar with the Agi.  I am familiar with the Ponto Pro, but it's a BAHA device so that won't help you unless you are considering the BAHA implant.

When my doc and I talked hearing aids - after my AN surgery - he recommended the TransEar or the BAHA.  I opted for the BAHA.  Sounds like you'd be a candidate for an Intenso since the hearing in your "good" ear is less than 100%.

The thing I love about my BAHA is that wearing it isn't a big hassle - and nothing goes in your ear.  It does on your head and it's hidden under your hair.  Directionality isn't stellar, but I've actually gained some since I got my implant a little over 2 years ago.

The BAHA isn't for everyone, but if you'd like to know more about it ask your doctor if you can try the demo.  I was very impressed with it - most are - and the real thing is even better than the demo.

Another good thing about the BAHA is that your insurance may actually cover it - unlike most conventional hearing aids.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kathy g

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:09:55 am »
Jan:

Thanks for the information. Did you try another hearing aid before you tried the Baha?  You think the sound is better?

Kathy

Paul F

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:30:21 am »
Kathy,
I too have SSD on one side and not so good hearing on the other.  I was fitted with a Phonak Bi-Cros which places a receiver/transmitter on the bad side and a hearing aid in the good ear.  When I received mine, the only way to get the sound from the SSD side to the better side was a wire which ran behind you head. I understand the now they use FM to transmit the sound form one side to the other.  That too, has caused problems from outside interference.   For me the Bi-Cros was one problem after the other and i finally gave up.  I have now gone to the BAHA.  Since I have hearing loss in the "good" ear, the BAHA Intenso was fitted.  It has much more power the the BP-100.  I am not overly joyed with this unit.  It works, don't get me wrong but, in many situations it makes it even harder for me to understand what is being said around me.  It amplifies everything and a noisy environment is really hard to understand anything in.  There are many of us here waiting on the edge of our chairs for a promised upgrade to the Intenso, due out this fall.  We hope it will be programable and be able to address the problems many of us are having with the Intenso. 
Paul

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:37:35 pm »
Kathy -

I've never had a conventional hearing aid, I've only had a BAHA.  I started out with a BAHA device called a Divino and upgrade to a BP100 in April of this year. 

I know peple who have used conventional hearing aids and then switched to a BAHA, and they have been extremely satisfied with the result. 

The BAHA isn't a choice that everyone is comfortable with, but if you are it's a stellar choice.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:36:15 am »
katy i am like yourself no hearing in bad ear, and dull hearing in the other, i have had the crosaid for over 3 years which has been good, i was taking alot of ear infections in the ear due to wearing the mould so my ent doctor said i should go for the baha, i had the baha op nearly 4 months ago and waiting for the processor i will let you know how i get on,
Hi jan i am still waiting for the processor audiology are really dragging their feetx
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 06:15:13 am »
Anne -

sorry to hear you still haven't gotten your processor.  Hope you get it very soon.

Please keep us updated.

Best,

Jan

jsmith3151

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 07:33:28 pm »
I just got my bi-cross hearing aids 2 weeks ago.  I cannot believe what I had been missing.  I have no hearing on right side, but after a week I feel like I do.  I wear glasses so the hearing aids are a pain at times, but it is an adjustment.  Audiologist said better to get the bi cross (have some hearing loss in good ear) as the hearing aids can be reprogrammed if need be.  I was fortunate that my insurance paid for them (a fluke - nothing ever goes right for me).  Dead side is the side that aids are anchored in.  Good ear is a "bud".  They do help with the tinnitius.

good luck,  Jane

age 55  2.2 cm AN - right side. Retrosigmoid surgery 10/28/09.  Total loss of hearing on right side

kathy g

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 01:34:36 am »
That is very helpful.  Getting infections in the good ear worries me.  With the Baha, you do not have anything in either ear?

Best,
Kathy

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 10:20:00 am »
That is very helpful.  Getting infections in the good ear worries me.  With the Baha, you do not have anything in either ear?

Best,
Kathy

No, Baha goes on a abutment which it is attached to your skull outside of the ear.  Nothing goes into your ear at all. See here for information.  Click on "Sound Processors" and "Diagram" and you'll see how it works. ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 10:25:58 pm »
With the BAHA you have nothing in - or behind - either ear, which to me is part of the beauty of it.

As with most women, my BAHA is totally covered by the hair on my head (even though I wear my hair short) and no one knows that I am wearing one - unless of course I choose to tell them.

Jan

kathy g

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 11:59:14 pm »
This is interesting.  Do you have a picture to show someone with one on?  I keep thinking it will look like a box sticking out of my head.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 09:14:49 pm »
These are my pictures http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6634.0

The device in the pictures is my Divino.  The BP100 I got in April 2010 is the same size and basically looks the same on my head.

BAHAs come in different colors (six I believe) so they match your hair. 

There are also pictures on the Cochlear Community www.cochlearcommunity.com

Jan