Author Topic: Assistance after surgery  (Read 7827 times)

DeniseSmith

Re: Assistance after surgery
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 01:36:06 pm »
Sefra,

My sister was here from TN and she stayed with me. Also my (at the time 12 yr old son was home from school for the summer) and he was also alot of help.  One other thing that happened after my surgery, I was discharged from the hospital directly into the rehab hospital.  I had both physical, vestibular and occupational therapy.  I think the occupational therapy was very helpful, actually all the therapy was helpful.  They taught me how to do things around my house in a much more simpler and less tiring way.  I was there a week, and before I was discharged they taught me how to get around the kitchen with little or no problem and also helped me figure out the simplest and best way in and out of the shower, up/down stairs etc...   One of the things I had to do prior to being discharged was make lunch for myself and my sister, it took about 45 minutes for me to make and serve mac/cheese, but i did it.   ::)

I definitely recommend having someone there for you.
Denise

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 01:43:57 pm »
Thanks so much to all of you for sharing your experience. I'm so glad I found this site, it really makes it easier for me to know what I have to deal with.

Jim, I'm so glad you're doing so well! Top 5%!  You give me something to aspire to. I'm very competitive ;)

I'm happy to share my good news and show that AN removal (mine was 4.5cm) does not always have to be totally grim, with long-term negative consequences.  If that is a motivating factor for you or anyone else here ...all the better.  :)

An experienced (with AN) neurosurgeon, realistic expectations, a positive attitude and a good support system at home all help bring about a good recovery.  You will need help the first 2 weeks at home as no lifting is allowed and believe me, you won't want to.  Get all your business in order pre-op so it won't be a mental burden and prepare your husband and family for your post-op (temporary) iincapacitation upon your release from the hospital.  Hey, benign or not, it's still brain surgery! :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 01:04:39 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 10:04:22 pm »
Denise I would have had an outburst and ate the macaroni raw...looking back at how bad I was after surgery I should have gone to rehab but didn't.  That is probably the only thing I would change about this whole experience.  I just had no clue on the post surgical expectations.  Live and learn! 

tony

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 04:23:25 pm »
I suppose the full answer, post surgery recovery time, is "depends"
it depends on how long, how tough, and how near the balance nerve the surgery was
the (relatively) simple, 5-6-7 hr OPS seem home in a week, and coping well
just a few weeks later.
The 9-10-11 hr, or multiple OPS, are sometimes still in recovery months later
Nerves take a long time to mend - even swelling/bruising injuries can take
mths to fix completely - those that manage in weeks are very fortunate.
So hope for the best (for sure)
But plan for the longer outcomes
worse that can happen - you have planned for a rainy day
that simply does not happen
your are then, maybe, a fool
- but youre not soaked through as well !
Best regards
Tony

wanderer

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 12:43:25 pm »
while I could have taken care of myself after surgery,   I did need someone to get my home from the hospital.  Doing shopping for me,

That being said,  It was much better to have people make my meals and generally take care of things for a week or so.