Author Topic: No more motion sickness  (Read 2247 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
No more motion sickness
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:23:07 pm »
OK, now I am wondering ..... is there any correlation between no longer having vestibular nerve function and motion sickness?

Four of us went for a drive on the curvy roads in the mountains of West Virginia today (absolutely gorgeous drive!).  Two of us were in the back seat.  Pre-AN surgery I would have been too sick to enjoy the drive.  At first I kept trying to look out the front window, which is what I used to have to do to keep from "losing my breakfast" on such a drive.  However, by the time we arrived home again, I realized I hadn't even had a hint of nausea during the entire three hour drive.

Maybe I should have tacked this query onto the Positive things from having an acoustic neuroma thread ......  Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?  (I might add for new people on this forum, tests show I have no vestibular function now on either side ..... after two surgeries.)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

goinbatty

Re: No more motion sickness
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 07:09:26 am »
Funny you should mention this.  A few years prior to diagnosis, I went driving up in the mountains of NC.  By the time we reached our destination, it took about 20 minutes for the woosiness to clear up.  I was actually the one driving.  Had I been in the back seat, it would likley have been much worse.  Even though I was raised in NC and was accustomed to the curvy roads back then, I've lived close to the beach for years.  Just took it for granted that living in flat country was why my body reacted that way.  Who knows....
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Keri

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:21:21 pm »
Well, this is a positive thing! Like you said, another 'benefit' that can be added to the positives. I know migoi Tim's vestibular perception has enhanced his roller coaster riding experience!
Do you ever have that tipsy feeling, Clarice? That seems to be the extent of how I feel post op.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:52:51 pm »
Keri .....

Yes, I do have the tipsy feeling most of the time when walking.  That is what is so odd that I did not experience any motion sickness reaction when riding on the curvy roads.  If I were to try and walk quickly on a curving walkway, I know I would have nausea.  Weird ..... but I am sure glad!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011