Author Topic: cutting mouth muscles on the good side??  (Read 4538 times)

epodjn

cutting mouth muscles on the good side??
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:23:42 pm »
I haven't been on this site for a year or so. I feel kind of out of touch with you all. Just wondering if anyone has had surgery to cut the muscles on the good side of their mouth so that they don't move as much and make your face more symmetrical? Not sure that was a good description but that's what my doc wants to do. This time last year I had a brow lift/nasal reconstruction/eye weight placement. Yup, all in one 6 1/2 hour surgery. I am very happy with the results. Just a litttle complication. I was allergic to the surtures they used to hold the weight in place. Had to have a second quicky surgery to take care of that. Now the same doc, who I really trust, wants to do this surgery. He said he would rather do it by just using botox but my insurance won't cover the botox but will cover the surgery. Go figure?? Anyway, if anyone has had this done I would be interested to hear from you.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: cutting mouth muscles on the good side??
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:31:23 pm »
I have not had this done, but as for myself - I would be hard pressed to cut something that works properly. Has he had much experience with this, and does he have pictures of prior patients, or is it an idea he is developing for your case specifically?
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 10:34:11 pm »
I did not have muscles cut on the good side however I did have the nerve that pulls the concer of my mouth on the good side down cut to make my smile more even, good results. I would hesitate to have the muscles on the good side touched in this manner but hey....it each his own.
Best of luck if you have this done and let us know how it works out.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:54 am »
Hi abit late i was at a meeting in scotland and the consultant said a few people have op. too have the muscle cut on there good side and they got fed up with having botox all the time, am not sure i would op for this. ps ( he was only  talking about the muscle at the corner of the month where it pulls across when speaking some times
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

epodjn

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 12:27:49 pm »
My insurance would not pay for botox until after I had that surgery and it failed. Then my doc went to bat for me and talked to the insurance board and got my botox approved. Love my doc!!! I loved the surgery while it worked but the regrowth was just so fast. Most people don't have that problem. The surgery was done in his office and was a breeze. I would do it again if it lasted longer. On you it might. I think most people have good luck with it. I know it sounds strange to cut the good side but it really did make my face look better. I also had the browlift, nasel reconstruction, gold weight placement, and I also had the same problem after. We must be twins. Was your nerve cut? I had a facial neuroma so they had to cut a part of the nerve out to get it all out. I am very happy with my surgeries but sure with I could get more of a smile back.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:05:26 pm »
hi there, my nerve was saved in the op but i ended up with facial palsy, it did improve to about 80%, there is not many doctors in scotland do this tyoe of work, cant believe it grew bk so quick i didnt know that could happen to the muscle, what does the procedure entail , and does it make the mouth area static when u speak if you no what i mean x
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06