Author Topic: Loud tinnitus when stretching/yawning?  (Read 8408 times)

Machia2332

Loud tinnitus when stretching/yawning?
« on: June 28, 2016, 02:38:44 pm »
After retro-sig removal of my 3.4 cm AN I am about 6 weeks post-op.  I have noticed that if I arch my back to stretch (like when you wake up) and/or yawn I get really loud tinnitus for a few seconds.  I asked my surgeons' office about it and was told that this isn't uncommon, but they don't know why it happans.  Does anyone else have this?  Were you given an explanation by your doctor that made sense about why this happens?

Thanks  :)

Greece Lover

Re: Loud tinnitus when stretching/yawning?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 07:23:28 am »
I had surgery May 9. I get the same thing, but sometimes when I'm biting down on something or yawning. I have not heard an explanation. Doctors don't really know what causes tinnitus in the first place, so I'm not surprised that they can't explain this!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

dredfern

Re: Loud tinnitus when stretching/yawning?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:55:19 pm »
I get this too and I have my own theory.  When you yawn or stretch do you notice the hearing in your good ear change temporarily too?  This happens even prior to surgery right, as the pressure changes in the ear from the strtch/yawn.  My theory is that since my AN ear no longer hears at all, when i stretch my brain is trying to match up what normally happens with the good ear.  Mine goes away with seconds. Anyone got any positive CSF leak stories? I am now 4 weeks post op and sprung a leak a week ago, gotta wait two more weeks for surgical repair but get bad headaches on waking in the morning and feel really really cold in the night.
3.5cm Left side Acoustic neuroma
Translab' removal 1st June 2016
Very successful, no complications.