Author Topic: Balance Board?  (Read 15115 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: Balance Board?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 06:02:42 am »
Yay ... they showed up...word of caution... at PTs I stood between parallel walking bars... at
home I would stand in hall where I could put hands against wall... reason they gave for not wanting
me to work at it alone at home was falls...so in the hall and with someone home would be PT time ...
not out in middle of room watching soaps all alone with a coffee table there to whack my head on
as I go down  :)

man actually told me that people get too confident and frustrated with progress and hit their head
on coffee tables... way he said it was just funny... I could see over confident but frustrated ANers
going around whacking head against furniture

The second board is my favorite ... you take ball out and have two small wooden blocks to wobble on...and
honestly they are alot like the wobble boards we made for Cub Scout day camp when we had a knights
theme and the boys stood on the boards and whacked at each other with long pieces of PVC pipe with
foam insulation wrapped around them and a pillow duct taped to each end...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 07:36:38 am »
Soundy:  The bottom picture, the round inflatable cushion with the down side spikes showing - I'm sitting on that right now at work, it helps those with back pain.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Soundy

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 08:46:33 am »
they had me sit on the thing on a hard stool  and lift feet off floor one then the other and
then try to lift both feet without toppling... and also place the thing on the floor and stand
on it and try not to fall off as I go through head movements and lifting and moving arms...
I hadn't thought about just sitting on it

If nothing else since surgery I have learned more about balance and how all our body parts work
together to keep us upright , than I ever wanted to know
Translab July 2 ,2007

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 10:13:06 pm »
OK my wonderfully supportive AN family here is my "brag board photo" of me cycling with no hands - 6+ months post op at age 44.

I was able to do this “no hands"  for only 20 seconds but hey I have come a long way from 6 months ago when I had to use a walker… and then when I did walk I was like a "drunken sailor in the wind " with my eye patch. Eyelid and balance works now … not sure what will happen in the ole facial palsy recovery though.

Nevertheless I was so thankful to be able to go with my precious family on a little bike trip.

HEALING DOES HAPPEN!

Keep moving forward,

Thanks Steve - we followed you photo insert directions
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:00:14 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

OMG16

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 10:47:43 pm »
4 that is so exciting.  Tell your Guru to hurry and help as I can not wait to see the pic.  You are such an inspiration to all of us.
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Soundy

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 12:29:21 am »
Looks like a great place to bike ... and looks like you are having a great time

I want to go canoing and no one will get in a boat with me ...  >:(
Translab July 2 ,2007

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 06:36:18 am »

Soundy , I will ... that is if I can bring a fishing rod...  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

jerseygirl

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 07:19:14 am »

I already told you that you look terrific! ;D

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Soundy

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 10:52:54 am »
Joef... fishing is fine ...

Does the water movement bother you when in a kayak or canoe???
Walking along the side of the Lake/big pond at Centennial park in Nashville like to
have did me in... the ripple of the water might as well been a strobe light

Used to go up and down the Elk River, Buffalo River and Duck River alot... All south central Tennessee
and loved it ... but my sons grew up and went off to be grown up and my two girls 8 and 10
want no part of it ... and my husband who almost drown when he was about 8 won't get in
the 4' deep splash pool the girls have... I am thinking a canoe on the lake at either David Crockett or
Montgomery Bell State parks would be a good starting point ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 11:04:22 am »
Oh I really want to see a photo of Joef in a kayak...

I think I will try that too - when the weather and water is warmer in Oregon.

Please post one Joef- oh fellow outdoorsy...

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 04:42:58 pm »
Wow 4 - look at you!!  I'm impressed!  I haven't attempted my bike yet - it's all HUGE hills around here - going down them probably wouldn't be so bad, but I imagine I'd have to come back up them in order to get home.

Soundy, I'd be willing to get in a canoe with you - as long as I don't have to do all the work.   :D  I'm in South Nashville - near Brentwood - there must be some sort of water around here.  No ocean though...we could use one of those...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 04:51:33 pm »
WHOOHOO 4 !!!!!   You look great -  & what a beautiful place you have there for a winter bike ride!!!!

So happy for you!!!!

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

LADavid

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 04:56:37 pm »
Hi 4

"Only 20 seconds" without your hands!!!!!  You are truly an inspiration to me.  I'm having troubles just running.  But you gave me hope!
Thank you!

David

Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 06:38:44 pm »
WOW 4!!!

You look great.  No snow.  Last night we received freezing rain, ice pellets, and 20 cm of snow.  Not to mention the high winds.  I forget what my grass and side walk looks like.  I needed your walker to walk down the street this morning.  My balance was terrible.

You go girl.  We Canadian girls are more than just pretty faces ;D

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games