Author Topic: Successful surgery  (Read 1977 times)

RachelSta

Successful surgery
« on: May 31, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »
My surgery two days ago was a success. I checked in at 5:30 and over the next two hours met the many people who would beinvolved in my surgery. i felt very comforted by the neurosurgical resident's answer regarding what he would do during the surgery - "just watch."

Due to my anatomy, it took the neurotologust 6 hours to expose my tumor. After that the removal was relatively easy- my tumor was not sticky and came out in about an hour. The biggest issue after that was that I didn't any abdominal fat to fill the hole in my skull. They were able to scrape enough out, but my incision is 5 or 6 inches long. That honestly was a shock to me - I guess I do have stretched muscles and extra skin from having kids!

I've had no nausea and by last night could eat regular food. I don't have a huge appetite, but am eating some. I've been up walking a few times and the pt is coming soon to take me on the stairs. Iam still in icu, but im not an icu patient. Im only here because there are no regular rooms available. I'm not complaining - it's quiet and I have a private room. I should get togohome either tomorrow or Sunday.

Thank you for the support from this community. I learned so much and felt so knowledgable and empowered coming in for surgery. I'll keep you updated, but I expect things only to get better from here.

Rachel

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Successful surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:03:41 pm »
Rachel ~

Congratulations on your successful AN surgery!  I suspect you'll have a relatively rapid recovery, too, but 'listen to your body' an don't push yourself too hard.

Like you, I spent 3 days in ICU due to a bed shortage and also liked the privacy.  However, coming home is even better.

Thanks for the quick update and again, congratulations.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:56:19 pm »
Hi Rachel:

Things went well from what you wrote.  I'm happy for you and remember the long wait watching the calendar for the surgical date to arrive.

I'm so thin and don't have fat on me.  I'm going for a bone density test on Wednesday.  I never thought I'd need fat! 

We are all here for you.

Pal
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

RachelSta

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 02:53:33 pm »
I forgot the biggie - my smile is fine! No facial issues outside a little dry eye!

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 04:47:52 pm »
Congrats on "the biggie."  (wonderful!)

At the OBGYN office the other day I was told that four patients were seen in ten years that have an AN tumor.  (one with severe facial damage) 

The doctor was surprised seeing so many and thought it was more rare.

Again, the smile is important and good news RachelSta.

Palace
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:51:43 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness