Author Topic: My SO surgery, July 1  (Read 1539 times)

kelsi

My SO surgery, July 1
« on: July 11, 2008, 08:17:40 pm »
hello everyone,
back in December I posted about my SO, having been diagnosed with a 13 x 8 mm AN.Another MRI in March showed that it grew another mm. He underwent surgery at Swedish hospital on July 1 with Dr. Hoistad and Dr. Raisis. He is doing fabulous. It looks like he now has no hearing in the left ear, but they were very meticulous with facial nerve and there are absolutely no problems with that. As he said he would rather be able to smile than to have two ears. He is working hard at balance exercises. I think the big surprises for him was that he had no idea how incredibly yucky he would feel when he woke up from surgery but he doesn't have a lot of memory about that. He just wanted to get it done and over with.
kelsi

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: My SO surgery, July 1
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:18:56 pm »
Kelsi:

Thanks for the update on your Significant Other.  I'm very glad to learn of his positive outcome from AN surgery.  I agree that having one hearing ear beats facial paralysis.  I was equally adamant with my neurosurgeon about preservring my facial nerve function.  I'm pleased to say that he did and I, too, had no facial paralysis or related facial issues.  My smile remained intact.  :)

Everyone who undergoes AN removal surgery feels 'yucky' immediately after the surgery.  It can't really be avoided.  The balance will come but it does take both time and effort, which are both worth the result.  I speak from experience.  :)

I wish continued healing and recovery for your SO. 

Jim
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:23:18 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 05:47:26 am »
Kelsi,

Glad to hear about your partners positive outcome with surgery and his facial nerve.  I too wanted the same from my surgeon regarding my facial nerve and he delivered!  Feeling "yucky" right after surgery is not how I described the first time I opened my eyes, rather NIGHTMARE is my description.  Very frightening when you do not have your "other" balance nerve and takes some time, alot of hard work as you state, to get back to normal, well not the same normal but a "new" normal.  Today when asked how I'm doing I've lowered my bar and say "I'm standing, thank you!"  In all honesty I'm doing great and walk outside, through malls, and other stores with confidence and most times don't even think about my imbalance.  Here's to more speedy recoveries for your SO and remind him to look at the progress, rather than what is lost. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

cmp

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 08:48:48 am »
So glad to hear your SO is doing well, Kelsi! I'm glad his facial function, just as he wanted, and hope his balance will improve steadily--sounds as though it will, with him so motivated.

I had surgery just the week before he did, and yes, that first day or so in the ICU was NOT fun!  :P

Please wish him a speedy, full recovery...

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!