Author Topic: Life after AN is better than the alternative.  (Read 2628 times)

waypoint

Life after AN is better than the alternative.
« on: July 11, 2008, 06:27:04 am »
Most of you that are reading these threads either have been down this road or just now embarking on it.  About this time last year my entire world started to turn upside down, starting with the sudden loss of some hearing in my left ear on a drive home from work one day.  This cumulated with AN surgery on October 1st, 2007 and three months of rehab. Nobody said this was going to be easy, but with a little hard work and determination, I recovered and you will too. I have returned to a normal life.  Granted, it is alittle different but hey, I'm alive and have a much greater appreciation for life.  While I don't know many here, and it seem that there are more finding their way here every day, I still feel connected to my AN family. I pray that those of you suffering from complications, find comfort, peace in the reality, and hope that you return to good health.

My sister was getting her wedding vows renewed in Hawaii and wanted the family present. So my wife and I decided to extend the trip and turn it into a 2nd Honeymoon for us. I felt we really needed this anyways, considering everything we went through the last 12 months.  We just got back from a 2 1/2 week vacation in June in Hawaii. The 8 hour flight was a none issue. Hiking and swimming wasn't even a problem. The view was wonderful and I wanted to share with you what I saw from my balcony.  Good luck to everyone here and may you have a great recovery.

2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Life after AN is better than the alternative.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:26:04 am »
Waypoint:

Thanks so much for your inspiring story of how you've dealt with your AN experience.  Yes, there certainly is 'life after an AN' and it often is better, at least in time.  I'm so pleased to learn that yours is.  Me too.  Newly diagnosed AN patients need to know that all is not gloom-and-doom, pain and disruption when the diagnosis is received.  AN treatment is sometimes difficult and often complicated but most patients do come out O.K., even if it seems to take longer than anyone expects. 

The photo is beautiful and reflects the serenity you enjoyed as well as the natural splendor of Hawaii.  Thanks again and may you continue to appreciate life after your AN, especially when you consider the alternative!  :)

Jim 

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Patti

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:43:50 am »
Life, God, whatever the source, has a way of dealing with things in ways you would never expect. I was in a constant state of stress being a 7th grade science teacher and raising two young daughters and being a wife and having very high standards for all.  My prayers were always looking for help in those three areas.  Then almost eight years ago, i found out about my acoustic neuroma, had the surgery, had another surgery to reduce brain swelling.  I was in ICU for 10 days, followed by a few days in a step down room and they decided i couldn't go home for christmas.  I was sent to Helen Hayes Rehab hospital for 6 weeks where i went through PT, OT, ST and lots of sleep.  When I came home, quite a different mom, I couldn't drive for 6 months but had to continue with the therapies for 4 months, three times a week, 45 minutes away.  I managed thanks to many friends and relatives.  As I was finishing up, they caught on to my cognitivel problems (which really freaked me out).  I had to continue therapy for a couple of months-this time cognitive therapy.  I was declared disabled by SS and the NYS teachers union.  Sounds bad, right?  Well, my prayers were answered.  This started as my girls entered adolesence and I was able to be here thoughout some tough, yet much needed, years.  While they were exploring trouble, they would comment things like "how come you are always here when i come home from school?"  but would be happy that there was always a nice afterschool snack for them, always a brown lunch bag for them in the morning, always a healthy dinner for them, their friends always welcome for dinner or for the night (happy to be here because there was a mom around to spoil them).  I can't even describe the importance of being here for my kids and my husband.  Yes it was tough not being able to teach or do anything full time-but tough on my ego-not my family.  Well-my youngest just graduated high school 5th in her class and is off to Villanova in the fall.  My oldest is coming home this weekend from an eight week school trip to The Gambia where she studied anthropology.  She will return to school in the fall at St. Mary's College of Maryland as a junior.  There were some very tough times as they grew up, but I think they are on their way to great things now.  I work part-time at a law office and exercise alot to keep me healthy and keep strong to combat balance issues.  My husband is fine.  We are going to have a big family reunion in florida at a beachfront place for a week starting tomorrow to celebrate my parents 50th anniversary.  The point of all this:  I agree with you-life is different.  I am lucky to have lived through my ordeal.  I truly believe that the crazy tumor and subsequent problems were God's way of helping me be a good wife and mother.  We have an empty nest in September and lots of travel plans-and we are only 46 (almost)!  The only things I can't do anymore is ski, iceskate, and ride a bike.  But I do lots more and travel to many places.  Life is different but great!  This is a good thread to put out there!
Hawaii looks great.  We'll go someday!           Patti    
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

oHIo

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:44:12 am »
Waypoint...I am glad to hear of your recovery as well as your wonderful trip to Hawaii.  The picture is absolutely gorgeous.  

fbarbera

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:47:50 am »
Thanks for the awesome post, Waypoint.  Best wishes for continued health, improvement and recovery.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:50:34 am »
the picture is so beautiful, waypoint! you had a blast in Hawaii!
Thank you for sharing your story :)
My first surgery was almost during the same time as yours -on Oct 3, 2007. I however underwent another one three months later and since both were only partial resections, i am planning another one! third time a charm ;)

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

cmp

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 12:32:20 pm »
So glad that you had a chance to celebrate your victory over the challenges of a year ago with a trip to paradise with your honey!

What a magnificent view you had out your window!  :)
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Sammict

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 01:46:53 pm »
Waypoint

Thanks so much......for sharing the photo and it is so incouraging to hear about normal life after surgery. My surgery is sometime this fall after i heal from a previous surgery. My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary May 2009 in Hawaii your picture gave me something to look forward to.

Much Happiness to you and your wife.

Sam

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 03:31:53 pm »
I also want to thank you for the uplifting story and encouraging words for newbies and any one else, for that matter.  The photo is lovely and I think you brought back some of the Aloha spirit!  Continued best wishes to you and yours,

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode