Author Topic: Swallowing Issues  (Read 2482 times)

candtlaw

Swallowing Issues
« on: August 15, 2008, 12:01:31 pm »
  I know I have been a bit MIA, but life is just so full these days.......... :) I did recently have my 1yr MRI and it showed my AN cells werenot reproducing and was a bit smaller. mms but any shrinkage is cool :)

I wanted to ask you all about swallowing issues. I have been having what I though is allergy/sinus issues since just before we found the AN. I am taking a daily Zyrtec tablet and still have the feeling of a lump in my throat most all day everyday. Thougt it was due to a drainage issues. It feels kind of like swollen glands. Of course it gets better and worse and back again......... I get a big lump sometimes and then it will go away b4 the dr apt or right before the MRIs they order.... My radiation guy always asks any trouble swallowing and til know it hasn't dawned on me it might not be my allergies so I never asked why? I have been to my gp numerous times and had chest xrays etc for this ratteling low in my chest that gets worst at night but even after steriods doesnt go away.... Is this my hypochondriaism creeping in again? Can you all help me make since of this?
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Swallowing Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 03:48:16 pm »
Cindy:

Swallowing problems due to AN involvement on the 9th and 10th 'swallowing nerves' can be a symptom of an Acoustic Neuroma.  However, the MRI doesn't lie and if your tumor is shrinking it may well not be the cause of your swallowing difficulties.  Allergies can certainly cause that 'lump in the throat' feeling.  I know, I've experienced it.  Obviously, this situation requires further investigation by medical professionals.  I know you'll pursue that option and I trust that it will ultimately prove successful.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 06:12:49 pm »
It is so strange that you mention this. My throat is really sensitive, I get frequent laryngitis and all. I never thought that this could have something to do with the AN. However, I have realized recently that it is always my right gland that is swollen (the one on the AN side) and when this happens (only occasionally) I feel uncomfortable when I swallow, like having swollen tonsils. Although I have been thinking about it, I could never find a way to associate this to the AN, at least based on what I have read. Now that you brought this up, together with Jim's explanation about the 9th and 10th nerves, it makes me wonder .... Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

goinbatty

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:51:27 am »
I haven't experienced that with the AN but years back I did.  I felt like I had to constantly be swallowing to try to clear whatever it was.  My throat wasn't sore at all.  I was working in a hospital at the time and talked to a GI.  He gave me Reglan which worked within 2 days.  He said it may have been a small esophageal tear.  This hasn't occurred since. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

candtlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 07:59:02 am »
thanks so much for your GREAT explination Jim.... I knew that someone here would know. I absolutly love having you all here to chat with and talk about health concerns as I know my husband has heard enough of me worrying about my health! lol.......  We have a lot of corn and beans around our area too that I am sure are not helping me with allergies....
Cyndi

candtlaw

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:04:32 am »
It is sooooo very hard Marianna when one wonders about symptoms etc.. what caused what symptoms started from where?? Uggggggg. It seems like a never ending circle sometimes..... lots of questions and wondering, strange stuff with no answers! :(

thanks goinbatty...... I had never thought of anything like that. hmmmmmmmmmmm  Did it seem to come and go before your Reglan dose?
Cyndi