Author Topic: Not headache but head pain......  (Read 4387 times)

candtlaw

Not headache but head pain......
« on: February 13, 2008, 01:21:20 pm »
I am almost 1year post ck for my 1cm AN and am learning there is just some weird unexplained stuff that goes along with this but this morning I woke with a pain behind my AN ear, my neck and the top/back of my throat... I took a couple Motrin and it seems to have gone away. It has to be the tumor, right? Has anyone else have semilar pain? Is this going to go away?
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

candtlaw

Re: Not headache but head pain......
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 04:46:49 pm »
ok guys...... HELP! Its back. Especially my throat hurting. Not a sore throat, its a pain in the back of my throat. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Cyndi

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:53:34 pm »
Cyndi,

The pollen count in Indiana is higher than Oregon's today.

Here we have the Hazelnut trees giving off pollen and we have 2 family members who are dealing with post nasal drip and congestion (ear included). One is complaining of hurting in the back of her throat (as I know her sinus is draining there) but says it is not a sore throat she feels.

Are you having any post nasal drip or sinus issues that could explain it?

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

candtlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 08:59:26 am »
yep............. sinuses :) I am currently trying to find a medicine to make the drainage stop! Wow, who would have guessed sinuses, well, actually my husband! lol...........   Amazing as we are frozen and snow covered. I bet that is what it is though.... I just can't seem to shake the parania from every little thing that goes wrong since the diagnosis of this stupid tumor. Husband keeps reminding me that it is dying or dead now but just being in there every now and then still tends to freak me out..... thanks for your response 4.
Cyndi

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:43:07 am »
Cyndi,

I took 2 benadryl capsules before bed- and this did the trick for me last night. The problem is I cannot take it during the day as it causes drowsiness.

If that does not work than try 24 hour Claritin (but do not mix with benadryl) – also a decongestant might help. Our major allergy sufferer started Zyrtek up again and this did the trick.

Side effects
Benadryl
http://www.rxcarecanada.com/Benadryl.asp?prodid=194

Claritin
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/lorat_ad.htm

Zyrtec
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/cetiriz_ad.htm

I am wondering if years of post nasal drip draining possibly into the inner ear - may have anything to do with the calcification and cell division that would cause an AN. :-\ I just so wish there could be more progress and funding into finding the definitive “cause� of AN tumors… I guess we all have our theories and none have yet to be proven…

Together in post nasal drip… and hopefully in AN tumors that are now history!

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

candtlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 05:05:36 pm »
what a INTERESTING  ??? theory! Could very well be...... In my case I have had lots of sinus trouble throughout the years........ my son takes Zyrtec, husband something else, used to take Claritin, I have some Nasonex and Xyzal to see if they help. Not really so far as I am a couple weeks into starting them  :(  Thanks for all the info. I have the Benedryl too I bought for the hives once! lol.............  I am guessing I cant mix it with the allergy stuff......  Darned pain is back today though. It is just wierd that it is accompanied by pain right where I am guessing here, the an is! ...... geesh.... Someone should do a study on ANs and nasal drainage... I always thought my cell phone and then my pregnancy hormones that sped the growth.
Cyndi

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 05:34:19 pm »
HAZELNUTS, are my most favourite nut in the whole live world!!!!!  Roast and dipped in chocolate yummy.

Oh, 4 I'm coming to visit you!!  Post nasal drip and all ;D

Anne Marie

P.S.  I'll trade you snow and we have lots of it for hazelnuts!
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

candtlaw

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 07:32:17 am »
I like the coffee or the creamer :) Never actually HAD a hazelnut! hmmmmm, sheltered. Son is allergic to nuts though so I will have to be out and about without him to find some to try.... Enjoy your visit!
Cyndi

tdworkin

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 10:09:25 am »
Hey, folks... this kind of pain may not be related to allergies at all.
I had a BAD day of pain- starting in my tumor side ear then traveling down my jaw/throat and then into my neck and across that shoulder. INTENSE!! This was 9 weeks post -CK treatments at Stanford. I called and got put on steroids and used moist heat packs with aspirin. Pain reduced after that day but that ol' headache remains. So... it MAY not be allergies, but typical and expected, tumor swelling as the d@m# thing dies. I actually want to dance to that possible news... even if I may topple over due to the balanced issues!!
BTW. the drs. decided to try me on another round of the steroids to see if they could help reduce the headache. It's is still there- but duller.
My major symptoms are all day, dull headache (which usually gets worse in the evening), tinnitus (which gets louder than usual at times), fatigue (which means I have no energy by the time I am home from work) and insomnia (sleep? what sleep?) Even ambien is not working and I am up now after 3 nights with about 3 hours total sleep. Hard on the body and on the spirit. I figure I will probably CRASH one of these nights and really hibernate!! Sure doesn't make me much of a bed partner...
Question to my CK choosers... how LONG does all this last?????
Be well, everyone. I ,  for one, am going to enjoy this wonderful first SNOW DAY off from school, symptoms be d@m#ed!!
T

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:03:23 am »
tdworkin

RE

“ and insomnia (sleep? what sleep?) Even ambien is not working and I am up now after 3 nights with about 3 hours total sleep.[/i]�

How close is your tumor in relation to your brainstem?

Before surgery my tumor was pushing against my brainstem (which controls sleep) into an “S� shape- and I was awake every 3 hours. (This has improved tenfold since the tumor was removed- however I still wake up at 3 am fairly regularly but I can now at least get back to sleep).

I ask this as I wonder if there is pressure on your brainstem with post treatment tumor swelling. (You physician prescribing steroids would make sense in that situation- to me anyway)

I did not have radiation so it would be unfair for me to compare… my head pain is often relieved with good sneeze and antihistamines to stop the nasal congestion. Internal swelling vs. ears nose and throat (ENT) issues would be a totally different matter.

No snow here in my part of Oregon (although visible in the coastal mountains) … just lots of tree pollen. Achoo!

SO sorry to read you are dealing with head pain… I hope this resolves for you

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 09:46:44 pm »
debunk my old theory

A while back I wrote

"I am wondering if years of post nasal drip draining possibly into the inner ear - may have anything to do with the calcification and cell division that would cause an AN"

I have to debunk my old theory. I have read enough recently and spoken to physicians that this wild theory of mine is NOT possible. But hey I am getting more and more educated on this ole Neurotology subject every day… as I ask questions , research and learn.

I am sure anyone reading, with a medical background, got a giggle out of that one.

Cheers,

sammiegirl57

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 11:47:44 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Just a quick thought...I had my AN removed in November of 07 and still have a tremendous amount of "head pain".  I currently am a chiropractic assistant and work with a chiropractor who believes in deep tissue work rather than bone "cracking".  I advise that everyone at least once see a Dr. who specializes in Active Release Techniques.  You will find the stretching amazing and realize that doing neck muscle work REALLY helps the pain go away.  Another alternative is acupuncture in those muscles to help relieve pain.  Keep in mind that ibuprofin and all of  those other pills will start burning a hole in your digestion track as well as stomach.  For some natural and scientifically backed products find out about Metagenics.  The product that I recommend is Kaprex AI.  It's a natural pain reliever as well as anti inflammant so the muscle swelling will go down a bit.  Feel free to contact me with any questions about this.  I'd be more than happy to help!

Samantha  ;D