Author Topic: 1 year birthday for radioactive man  (Read 2347 times)

carter

1 year birthday for radioactive man
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:19:05 pm »
1 year ago today, i finished CK.  On the evening of my first treatment my daughter purchased pints of ice cream and added home made labels to each with radioactive man as the "headline".  This started as a joke  --- i commented that even a kid getting his tonsils removed gets ice cream while a brain bugger getting zapped has no such protocol#$%^#&$.  thus radioactive man was born!

Looking backing back over the year ... i have to admit it has been one heck of a ride.  I fired the first Ck team (Before treatments started) and the second team made me mad as can be on multiple occassions.  I had the dreams of it all going easily.  then i ran into the reality of people.  i ran into life.  i had the following:

being told only a portion of the truth before CK
lead to believe that hearing preservation was a high priority and the Dr later said - he knew that he was burning the nerves. 
the wrong MRI being ran
Poorly placed IV's
being tired of seeing medical people
no one that was willing to talk- explain - listen - at hospital and Ck center
having bad head aches
having a stiff neck
a month of fatique
the Dr giving pain meds rather than to deal with the root cause - the narcotics flowed!
getting in to see the Dr's was a problem
a misread MRI that said that the tumor had grown to be huge - see surgeon about removal - Now!
the joys of steroids
gaining back 40 pounds that i had lost the year before - Weight Watchers
going form 80% word recognition to 0 in the AN ear.  it is gone!
having an ENT read to me the risks of GK - saying that this is close enough information for me.
to having about 25% of my AN side of the face being numb ... here to stay!

i got to be angry!!!!!   not at the tumor - but at the "medical people"

i had complained to the hospital's patient action group and The president of the hospital ....  yes i got a call of explanation from the neurologist - but the level of service remained constant - what i was not Happy with.  nothing changed for teh better.

on my last visit to the neurosurgeon, I told him what i thought of him, the services provided, etc.  he offered to send me elsewhere to have the tumor removed.  he tried to placate me.  he just made me madder --- if i had another option of "local" facilities that would care for me - i would have gone in a second.  I still would today.

then he said words that has led me to change change my attitude - not then but later as i thought about the situation.  he said that i am going to kill myself via a heart attack, etc unless i get on with life.  count my blessing that i only ended up as i am, not with greater issues to deal with.  he did not convince me - he just planted that seed - get happy with your life.  i have restled with this for 3 months now ...  i have to say that i have changed my course ... i had to get on -- it was eating me up. 

he said this as he told me that i need to do what ever i needed to as he was just going to see the next patient and his life was going on.

i am trying  to concentrate on the good people  ...  i had to be thankfull for good insurance coverage, the people that helped us through it, the good thoughts from many people, the prayers said and answered, for my daughter, and more so for my wife.  she is the best!

i am struggling some days to keep these thought --- but i am striving to do so for me!   so this is why i am celebratign radioacitve man's birthday and life

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: 1 year birthday for radioactive man
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:47:11 pm »
Wow, Carter!  Sounds like you've been through the wringer  :(  I am SO sorry about that.

However, I'm happy that you've got a great family and that they are so loving and supportive. 

Please know that all of us on the Forum are here for you and that venting is perfectly acceptable.

If there's anything I can do, please feel free to PM or call me (I'll give you the number) - I might not be able to help, but I'm willing to listen.   And sometimes that can be very helpful in itself.

Happy Birthday - and tell your daughter to break out some more of that ice cream.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

carter

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:16:01 pm »
i wish that the radioactive man ice cream would flow ---- i left off the worst part of the year ...  i am going back to weight watchers ... and a meeting is tonight  - i get to face the scales.@%$

so on radioactive man's birthday, i get to go to weight watchers .......  what would my wife do to me if i took her there on her birthday?

an An would be the least of my concerns.

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

lori67

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 03:00:06 pm »
Carter,

I think just this once, even the people at WW would agree that a little ice cream is a good idea!  Sounds like you deserve it after the year you've had.

I agree that it would not be in your best interest to bring your wife to WW on her birthday!  We women are funny that way.  You're a very smart man!   ;)

I hope the worst is behind you and you can enjoy living your life again!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:48:45 pm »
Carter ~

Your year has definitely been a roller coaster ride and your frustration and anger are only natural.  I think you would be dangerously repressed if you weren't somewhat angry.  Although your doctor may have been remiss in your treatment, he does have a valid point regarding your need to let go of the anger for your psychological health.  If ice cream helps you do that,  I say: go for it! 

My wife is an alumni of Weight Watchers so I know, as you do, that it works - if you're personally motivated.  Losing weight (after an ice cream binge) is hard, but, for you, it may be a good way to focus your attention on something positive, instead of dwelling on losses and mistakes made by others that negatively affected you in the past, which is irredeemable, anyway.

I wish you success in losing weight and of course, better days from now on.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.