Author Topic: NY/NJ Area ANers Lunch Event - JULY 19 in NYC  (Read 21986 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: NY/NJ Area ANers Lunch Event
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 02:14:57 pm »
The 19th works for me....as far as bringing the wife, I was looking to have fun.....

Joe-

OH MY  :o  I hope the wife doesn't lurk here  :o

Jan - just call me "Christie"
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jtd71465

Re: NY/NJ Area ANers Lunch Event - JULY 19 in NYC
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 04:42:45 pm »
Jan-

My wife would laugh....I wouldn't have been a mess without her during my AN journey.

Always joking,

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 05:16:09 pm »
Joe -

I realized you were joking and I was just adding to the joke.

Guess I should have said "LOL" or something so you didn't think I was serious  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 09:12:11 pm »
Lori and Jan -
I'm still not sure exactly when we'll be home.  Probably the 16th or 17th.  Since the 18th is my birthday I'm sure I could persuade eveyrone to do what I want, which is to see you, that is if you don't mind all four of us coming down for the day.  The rule in our house is the birthday person gets to spend their birthday any way they want., as long as it's reasonable.  Except for Rob, all ourbirthdays are in the summer,so  school is  not a problem.  If we get home on the 16th I might have to go for pre-testing on the 17th.  I checked with my doctor, and he agreed to the 3rd or the 16th, but the 17th might have to do.  He really wasn't crazy about the 3rd through because it's right on the edge of the time limit.  He said  he'd rather I go closer to my surgery date, preferably on the 16th as he was sure they'd get teh results before the 25th.  It looks like I'll have to behave and eat healthfully during my vacation.  Who does that?  I guess me, at least this time.

Jan, What tiime on the 18th  are you leaving for the airport?  It it's not too early, maybe we can get out there at least long enough to meet each other.  It doesn't look like I'll make it before then as things stand now.
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 09:56:27 pm »
Wendy -

we fly out of Newark the morning of the 18th unless United decides to change something.  So you might just have to settle for seeing Lori without me if you two can work something out.

We'll be in Summit on the 17th, but it doesn't look like that will help you at this point.  I'll be turning my car in prior to going to NYC so I won't have a car on the 17th or 18th and will be relying on my brother or public transportation to get around. 

Jan

lori67

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 09:01:16 am »
Well, I will have my butt parked firmly in the sand at Seaside for the whole week - sure hope it doesn't rain...  Wendy, I'll PM you my cell phone number so you can call when you have an idea of the plan. 

I hope your healthy eating plan involves birthday cake!!!

And Jan, you don't need a car - didn't you say you wanted to start running again anyway?   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 01:02:49 pm »
You know, Lori, all I do is "talk" about running  ::)  Which is the problem   :P

The treadmill in my basement is now free from "debris" since the house is for sale; the weather is very pleasant (not hot & muggie like last week) - basically I have no more excuses.  However, I still haven't started to run.

I'm working on it though.  I did manage to start walking more yesterday and took my bike out.  So I'm confident I'll be running soon.  My goal is to be a runner again by the time the ANA Symposium rolls around next August.  I've never run along the lake front and it's one of my "things to do before I die"  ;)

Jan

lori67

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 01:33:40 pm »
Tell you what - I'll chase you in a car to help you cross that goal off your life list.  That should make you run!   :D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 08:39:20 pm »
Tell you what - I'll chase you in a car to help you cross that goal off your life list.  That should make you run!   :D

That might be just what it takes  ;)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 02:39:05 pm »
"Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I sit down until it goes away." -  Mark Twain

Works for me, too.   ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 04:38:38 pm »
Amen to that, Jim  :D

wendysig

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 08:47:09 pm »
Jan -
You know, funny you should mention walking and running.  I started walking about 6 weeks ago (I've been really out of shape), just around the immediate neighborhood, maybe about a mile to 1 1/2 miles a day.  I am now up to 8 miles a day, four in the morning and four at night.  I was walking seven miles a day for the past week and just upped it again today.  I feel like I am running (or walking really fast away from or to something) but I haven't figured it out quite yet.  I started out just trying to get in shape before my surgery and it turned into something else along the way.  The good news is I've lost 12 lbs.  I still have a few to go, but I am determined to be in the best shape possible by July 25.  I figure the better shape I'm in, the better my recovery will be.  It certainly can't hurt anyway. 

Lori -No need to chase me with the car  - I walkiing as fast as I can!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2008, 09:22:30 pm »
Congratulations, Wendy.  You're doing much better than I am  :)  And IMO being in "better" shape will have a very positive effect on your recovery.  It certainly can't hurt.

I used to be a runner but when I finally got pregnant with my twins after many years and many medical treatments, my doctor told me to stop running until after I gave birth.  I had already miscarried once and since I was carrying multiples that took so much time, effort, and money to conceive the thought was "why take any chances".

Once I had my children and I went back to work full time I never had the time to take up running again.  Although I was married back then, the kids, the house, the chores, and my job were all "my" responsibility.  I thought as my kids got older I'd have more time but that hasn't seemed to happen.  In addition to still working, I'm still responsible for the house and most chores, plus now I'm playing taxi driver and entertainment director on a daily basis  ::)

It seems the time I have to run is either very late at night or very early in the morning and I won't just leave the kids in the house while I run outside.  Yes, I do have a treadmill, but I just can't motivate myself to get on it as I find running indoors extremely boring.  When I was a runner, I used to run in pouring rain, shin deep snow, etc.  So thus far I only have good intentions.  It's taking a toll on me physically - I've gained weight and I find I'm more stressed out than I was when I ran.

I keep telling myself that now is the time to start again since my medical stuff (AN & BAHA surgeries) are over and the house is on the market, which were all major things I had to deal with.  The only problem is, I keep telling myself this - but I'm not listening yet  :D

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2008, 09:25:39 pm »
Jan~
Well, you can't really hear - maybe you are talking into your deaf ear and you don't have your BAHA on....   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 10:04:23 pm »
Thank you SO much, K.

You have given me yet another excuse to not start running again  ;)

Jan